• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

BBC Story - Tattoos in the workplace

Should this wee girl be made to cover up in the workplace ? Personally I think so, it's bad to look at. I am also sure that she would not get past the AFCO medical for those tattoos. Whats the current policy on Tattoos in the mob ? Would be interested to see views & opinions ?

:: Clickety Click ::
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5079470.stm

Cover up?? Are you mad? Bare all!!!!!! Please?

Quite honestly she does have too many tatoos, they should be discriminated against

So am I allowed to cry to the BBC because the Army won't let me get tattoos on my face. Maybe one of those funky tear-drops on my cheek?

It's called professionalism and presentation.

[Should probably point out here that I don't actually want a face tattoo]

Tramp stamps are bad enough but she's taking the pish...

I believe that tat's are a no-no in basic and phase 2 training (or whatever it's called now). I know in the RN, as long as it's not above the neckline, below the wrists, or inciteful (bnp shite etc) then it's not a problem. However, if your tattoo gets infected and you get downgraded for a few days then the service police try to have a field day.

Saying that, I do know of a pongo bird who had a tattoo in her ear 8O and got through the AFCO process!!

This made me laugh-one of the comments in the story

In one job about eight years ago I was told to wear plain socks instead of the bright colours I preferred. Nothing was said about the outrageous ties that I used to wear at the same time! In deference to my supervisor whom I respected I complied but after he had left I reverted to the loudest socks I could find. Mike Joseph, Chipperfield, Herts, UK
One crazzzzzzzyyyyyyy barsteward.... :roll:

G

Goku

She looks like a cnut.

Welcome to minimum wage princess, you’ll never be taken seriously enough to get a real job looking like a circus freak.

She should have thought about looking a cunt before she decided to 'express' herself. There is a reason why people like this will never rise above car park attendant/toilet licker/RLC driver. Its because they have simple little brains that fail to see the 'big picture'.

Crack on and draw on yourself but dont expect anyone above the age of 12 to take you seriously.

Tattoos in the Army are allowed, even for officers, before beginning the process. They don't want them on the forearms, the neck and above, or anywhere that'll be obvious when in service dress, really. So if you have a tat that isn't visible in short sleeves and trousers, then you're fine.

Somebody else made the comment that she doesn't want to be judged on her appearance, and then goes and spends thousands on her appearance...I thought that was spot-on.

If she interviewed with me in Civvystrasse, I wouldn't hire her based on my belief that someone who's simultaneously trying to attract people's attention with her appearance while trying to get in everyone's faces about "judging her" would be a drama-queen and a distraction. Nor could I expect my clients, who were usually 45+, conservative and male, to take her seriously.

And if you're not mature enough to accept that it is more beneficial for businesses to project a professional image (not a cutting-edge-how-artsy-and-hip-we-are image), then you're obviously not mature enough to work for me. If that's discrimination against immaturity, then shoot me.

But do many girls come into basic looking like that :?

army-hopeful said:
Tattoos in the Army are allowed, even for officers, before beginning the process. They don't want them on the forearms, the neck and above, or anywhere that'll be obvious when in service dress, really. So if you have a tat that isn't visible in short sleeves and trousers, then you're fine.
Forearm tattoos are allowed.

I think Forearm tattoos are allowed once your in, not whilst joining? Or is that totally wrong, and forearm tattoos are allowed in training? Obviously assuming that it doesn't say, "BNP FOREVER!" etc.

to each their own i say, but those are some ghastly tatoos IMO

while we shouldn't be judging people on appearance alone, the points made about anyone taking her seriously are very valid ones. i certainly get a mental idea of what someone will be like based on how they look, as much as i try not to, and i'm sure i'm not alone in that.

that said, if she is in no contact with clients, customers, or the general public, then it surely shouldn't be a problem since none of her tats are offensive.

army-hopeful said:
I think Forearm tattoos are allowed once your in, not whilst joining? Or is that totally wrong, and forearm tattoos are allowed in training? Obviously assuming that it doesn't say, "BNP FOREVER!" etc.
I have a tattoo on my forearm (don't ask me why). I went to RSC a few months ago (was medically deferred). You spend pretty much the whole time there in short sleeves due to the phys. So if anyone had tattoos they couldn't be covered up. No one said a thing, not the staff, nor the officers I spoke with. Actually one person did mention it, and it was the doctor, who complimented me on it (?).

One guy there had tattoos on both forearms and up his back, even partly up the back of his neck. No-one even mentioned it. I had been worried they'd see my tattoo and say 'Oh sorry son there's been a mistake, back to the station for you'.

When will these sorts of people grow up? I’d love to be able to wear jeans to work, but it doesn’t put over a professional image, so I wear clothes that fit the dress regulations that my firm dictates. Regarding her moaning about putting a cardigan on, very few professional organisations accept their personnel wearing revealing clothes and she'd have been sent home from my current and last places of work for having her upper arms on display in any case.

Accepted, many tattoos are works of art, but the expanse of skin that she has decided to cover with them is evidence that she wants to provoke a reaction. There is nothing at all wrong with her having them, nor wanting to pursue a main-stream career, but she has to accept that main-stream and extreme do not go together without compromise. She is obviously a drama queen reference the cardigan and her fainting spell – how difficult would it be for her to wear a long-sleeved cotton shirt? Nice and cool for her; acceptable to her bosses. An ex-colleague of mine was heavily into piercing and wild hair-styles, but during the working week his shoulder-length hair was neatly tied back and he (I was told!) wore only those piercings that couldn't be seen – he accepted that he could dress like he wanted when he wanted if he was willing to take a job in another industry, but he wanted to work in the City so he compromised.

She fails to realise you can only make a first impression once and that first impression usually takes about 30 seconds to formulate. Nowt to do with discrimination but more to do with human nature.

Yep, she is a work of art. She should be nailed to a frickin wall.

The only thing I can put forward in her defence is that she is a telephone based worker...the customer/public never see her, so why does it matter how she is dressed while at work? No-one who she deals with will know.

Though the paperbag should be mandatory

J_T_4T

Latest Threads