BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2012

Following on from some discussion on the Andy Murray thread I checked the search function and it seems that the last time that Arrsers got excited about this was in 2008 (although there was a thread in 2010 as well). In 2008 the opening post on the thread was from Afghanman who said:

"Got to be a close run thing between Chris Hoy and Lewis Hamilton (if he wins the F1 Title) hasn't it?
Becky Adlington?
Andy Murray has got to be up there too... "

Bipolar responded making reference to Murray needing a personality implant. How some things never change!

So in 2012 Who should win, and why?
Should there be a separate category for men and women?
Should paralympians have their own category or be in with the rest?

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
If it was based on the people's choice, it would have to be Bradley - no question. Tells it like it is, no delusions of grandeur etc - and what a triumph at the Tour de France and Olympics.

But as it's BBC sports personality of the year - well, it's anyone's guess.

Following on from some discussion on the Andy Murray thread I checked the search function and it seems that the last time that Arrsers got excited about this was in 2008 (although there was a thread in 2010 as well). In 2008 the opening post on the thread was from Afghanman who said:

"Got to be a close run thing between Chris Hoy and Lewis Hamilton (if he wins the F1 Title) hasn't it?
Becky Adlington?
Andy Murray has got to be up there too... "

Bipolar responded making reference to Murray needing a personality implant. How some things never change!

So in 2012 Who should win, and why?
Should there be a separate category for men and women?
Should paralympians have their own category or be in with the rest?
Victoria Pendleton gets my vote as she looks great in tight lycra?

What Andy Murray has achieved is nothing short of remarkable. I realise that he has a big team behind him (as does every professional sportsperson), but an Olympic Gold in Singles, a Silver in Mixed Doubles, a win at the US Open and a appearance in the Wimbledon Final is pretty impressive by anyone's standards.

The level of fitness and commitment required to win an individual Grand Slam title is no mean feat. He gets my vote and I am not even scottish!

Of course he will have to share SPOY 12 with Bradley Wiggins.

Mo Farah - Second
Jessica Ennis - Third

Becky Adlington?

Why?

My List in no particular order is:

Bradley Wiggins
David Weir
Sarah Storey
Jessica Ennis
Mo Farah

S

Screw_The_Nut

Last year there was an outcry that it's been a man for X years, so i reckon they'll go for a chick this time round.

My money is on Jessica Ennis, although I'd like to see big Bradley Wiggins get it!

Too close to call, IMHO.

Jessica Innes.

Sir Chris Hoy.

Andy Murray.

Bradley Wiggens.

Mo Farah.

Any of the above would be a deserving winner.:cool:

Remembering that it's about Sports 'Personality'

1st - Mo Farrah
2nd - Ellie Simmons
3rd - Bradley Wiggins or Laura Trott

Closre runners up - Jess Ennis, Dave Weir, Sarah Storey

Wouldn't vote for Andy Murray in a month of Sunday's, miserable twat

R

really?_fascinating

Anyone but Murray.

For me:

Wiggo
Ennis
Farah
Hoy

But it will probably go to that sour faced miserable Jock minority sport player.

I am pretty sur eit will not be going to John Terry or Joey Barton

Not to decry anything that Jessica Ennes has achieved, but let's be honest, the hysteria has always been because of how she looks. The 'poster girl' of the British Olympic team?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Not to decry anything that Jessica Ennes has achieved, but let's be honest, the hysteria has always been because of how she looks. The 'poster girl' of the British Olympic team?
Which is precisely why she will be one of the favourites to win the BBC (we are impartial) SPOY this year!!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm sure that half of the North East will be voting for Kat Copeland.

Too close to call, IMHO.

Jessica Innes.

Sir Chris Hoy.

Andy Murray.

Bradley Wiggens.

Mo Farah.

Any of the above would be a deserving winner.:cool:
I strongly suspect a winner this year's will be Female, and Ellie will probably nick from Jess to be fair IMO

This year is probably the toughest to judge to date but their all worthy winners irrespective of a tacky BBC trophy.

Biggest problem with SPOTY is the closed list of candidates selected by committee coz we plebs might pick someone from a sport the BBC do not like or sponsor!

Should be a straightforward public vote; simple and democratic with no bias whatsoever. On those terms, I would vote but I'm fcuked if I'm going to chose from a list of the sponsors selected and approved candidates.