BBC sounds App - Utter Crap

The wonderful BBC have killed off their old app and foisted something written by a bunch of 11 years olds on us. The new "Sounds" app is so good that it won't even work on my ipad which isn't new enough to use it! Well that's a lot of people immediately alienated. But to add insult to injury it has one of the worst search functions (albeit slightly improved in the last month) that I've ever experienced and completely batty profiling of my likes.

Most of my listening is Radio 2, 4 5 or 5 sports extra. Sounds (used via firefox) gives me these recommendations:

1575301006104.png

As you can see, I'm listening to File on 4

I've not listened to Radio 1 in 20+ years. I detest Rap and Dance music and I'd rather remove my eyes with an apple corer than watch RuPaul.

Winner.

Kind of sums up the BBC across all its offerings.
I'm at ths point I would hapoily bin the licence fee & just watch Netflix. Sadly SWMBO loves SCD so a non starter.

The wonderful BBC have killed off their old app and foisted something written by a bunch of 11 years olds on us. The new "Sounds" app is so good that it won't even work on my ipad which isn't new enough to use it! Well that's a lot of people immediately alienated. But to add insult to injury it has one of the worst search functions (albeit slightly improved in the last month) that I've ever experienced and completely batty profiling of my likes.

Most of my listening is Radio 2, 4 5 or 5 sports extra. Sounds (used via firefox) gives me these recommendations:

View attachment 434404
As you can see, I'm listening to File on 4

I've not listened to Radio 1 in 20+ years. I detest Rap and Dance music and I'd rather remove my eyes with an apple corer than watch RuPaul.

Winner.
If Radio 4's Feedback is anything to go by, the shelving of iPlayer in favour of the Sounds app seems to be a move quite universally loathed. Two things need to be considered here:

1) The inherent reluctance of BBC Radio 3 or 4 audiences to embrace change.

2) The inherent reluctance of BBC executives and producers to acknowledge that they have got things badly wrong (sometimes known as Soldier magazine syndrome).

Whoever wrote the algorithm that selects programs that may interest me has not done very well, none of the programs it flags up interest me, what they look like are the selections of the BBC that they want me to listen to.

It is just not very good in all respects, clunky to use, labyrinthine means of searching their back catalogue, unattractive interface. You also get told that it is still evolving and that it will get better and more intuitive etc etc.

I just hope they kill it off and start again, they could then call it something like iPlayer Radio App.

And retore the podcast download. I don't want to be beholden to them to stream stuff. Some audio I want to keep.
You might be interested in this.

It would be nice if there was a gui (command line stuff simply bores the tits off me) , but it's still a good way of downloading retained broadcasts.

And retore the podcast download. I don't want to be beholden to them to stream stuff. Some audio I want to keep.
That's the point they don't want you to keep it, that way they can moneterise and sell it back to you later, or make you rent it part of some BBC service

You can still download podcasts, but you have to go out of "Sounds" to the programme website:

1575303692990.png

R4 website:
1575303725512.png

It's clunky and horrible and I don't understand why the Sounds app doesn't give the option to download directly.

Sounds app is perfectly fine if you live in the 21st century.

I believe that I do live in the 21st century.

I have several computers, some of which run windows 10, other using Linux, an ipad and iphone, DSLR camera and several other modern gadgets. Most of the stuff in my car is operated by a central touch screen or else I can use Voice Activation Control and I can even use Netflix with my account.

Oh, and I have a masters in computer simulation and used to program computers for a living.

The Sounds App is sh!t. Badly written and has more bugs than the natural history museum. The interface was written by an 11 year old and is almost incomprehensible to many older users.

There is no excuse for this. It's just sloppy programming and poor interface design.

I rephrase -- the Sounds App is not fit for purpose.

To be honest I use it for the world service and four extra with the odd podcast to download or programme to enjoy

I thought it was just me thinking it was a bit shit when I was eventually forced to download it and remove iplayer from my tablet.

Mainly listening to comedy the old app was fine a nice long list of Navy Lark, ISIHAC, Goons and assorted other gold to dip in and enjoy with other episodes from the list within the programme folder. I could even filter them to get the genre I wanted.

Now I have a long list of music I have no interest in, Podcasts such as 'Have you head of Georges podcast' (no I haven't and I imagine being deaf is more pleasing to the ears), some thing called Rylan, because there's always some thing called Rylan even though it clearly needs destroying, before eventually getting to comedy.

Then I have a long list of 'Wheres the F in news?' (who gives a shit its not funny, which is obviously my fault for being male), 'The Now Show' (used to be funny and satire but now so far left it makes Corbin look like the centre ground) and assorted other dross and 'Just a minute'. This is made worse by the fact that each sodding episode of 'Twayna Mayne: Black Woman' is listed separately so I have to trawl past all the episodes of it 'The Gemma Collins Podcast' and 'Just a Minute' before I discover a 'Round The Horne' buried in there. But that's just one episode so if I click in and realise that its one I've heard backing out takes me back to the top of the list of current BBC 'quality' comedy and fucking Rylan, coz the unfunny, untalented twat is always there camping it up just so the spineless 'on message' executives can feel they have achieved their quota of homosexuals on air.

You're the fucking BBC. Its all you do have on air!!
And 'Just a minute'.

Latest Threads