BBC - Soldier and Son

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by miles_gloriosus, Aug 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just go to show that we're who we are because of our parents and upbringing, the morals they instil in us as kids. A fine father and a fine son. Hope he finds some peace.

2. very moving. I'm deeply saddened by your loss and humbled by your courage in speaking so well.

I only hope that I can be as good a father to my children.

RIP.

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I didn't get past the first couple of slides, the whole idea of losing your only son (and I'm not even a father yet) hits me right in the gut.

I have great sympathy for this gentleman and his family, his courage in speaking is greater than I would ever have.

S_R

4. "Who wants to go to their Son's funeral, even if it's a nice one?"

Pretty much sums it up.

What mob was he with? I can't work it out.

5. God bless you Ian and may you find comfort in the love you shared with your son.

6. Hear hear. Well said that man.

I have seen the photo of Jack with the pipe and Pims before somewhere. He looks like decent guy.

RIP

7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

8. Cant find the words ...again RIP

9. My thoughts exactly. How did my office get this dusty?

Very moving piece of video.

Rest in Peace brave lad, your duty done.

10. Aside from all the sadness and the waste of a good young life I am left with one overall horror:

What an astonishingly inconsiderate phone call prior to the visit to inform his Dad. There has got to be a better way than saying not once but twice "I am not allowed to say". Better not to have phoned if that was the best could be said. Whichever officer made that call should be truely ashamed of the way it came across to the young lad's Dad.

Meanwhile all solace and comfort to his family and RIP young lad.