Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Berlin_104s, Apr 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Found this on MOD Oracle:

MOD Oracle

Any thoughts?

2. Guardian Article

But three months after delivering his first draft, Prendeville was told his commissioning editors were concerned the drama would not have the 'impact' they were looking for. 'The BBC said that in the time between the screenplay being commissioned and the script being delivered they had transmitted two films on a similar theme,' he said.

These focused on the struggle to uncover the truth about the Paddington rail crash and on the wrongful conviction of Angela Canning for the supposed murder of her children. Neither was so politically sensitive.

'The BBC told me that neither of these films had had the impact they were hoping, and they feared mine would suffer the same fate,' said Prendeville.

I wonder what impact the BBC would be looking for in airing this. Or is it more a case that the BBC wouldn't really want to air something that would have Whitehall screaming at them about?
  3. Yes, you're right
  4. It wouldn't surprise me if the government(MOD) hasn't had a hand in getting this programme shelved, for showing the general public how incompetent our so called leaders were for allowing this to happen in the first place!! :x
  5. Probably put The Corps in a bad light as well.
  6. Probably put The Corps in a bad light as well.
  7. I wouldn't think that you needed a documentry to do that.
  8. Right on Biscuits. So what to do? Leave it to the Corps to Heal Itself? Let some other six go down next time they get out on a limb? How does one call "the Bosses" to account? The B of I started off with ideas but they were stamped on in the Review.

Or don't we ...............

9. Does anyone come out of this in a good light? This is not an anti-RMP statement. The events of that June day happened due to some truly catastrophic systematic failings.

Were the failings down to the RMP alone? I honestly don't think so. The nature of peace enforcement Ops (under whatever political guise), requires a higher degree of soldiers working in isolated environments. The RMP and 1 (UK) DIV was forced to face this following the events of Al Majr al Kabr. With the level of exposure to systems failures, work required on the ground, lack of pers and resources - this could have happened to pretty much anyone working outside of Shaibah or Basra Palace. - Again just MHO.

In some instances, the failings can be foreseen and acted upon. Unfortunately, the impact on the career / prospects of "the person that speaks out" are well-known. Those ARRSE'rs who have served or are serving will know that "Change costs" both in training and the financial juggling that has to be done throughout the military to keep the system working and effective. So, sooner or later, the financial ramifications of "we need more men/equipment to do the job set by the government" reaches the UK Treasury. It is at this point that financial constraints set in Whitehall result in operational compromises, that Commanders all the way through the CoC and I suspect, in every service are faced with.

The risk to our comrades in Iraq and Afghanistan is evident. The wholehearted support of the military by the UK Government is not. I would suggest that the MOD is an easy target for financial squeezing by the treasury. After all, this is an organisation that does as it's told.

The deaths of the six RMP's on that awful day, placed military compromise on the front of every paper. For the first time, many members of the public woke up to the fact that there were possible failings that could have been avoided. The subsequent BOI made many findings, and every single one us will opine on these findings and the circumstances that led to a small det of RMP's having to work in the way that they were.

The sadness for me, is that at every level in the Army from the Junior Ranks' clubs, through to the most exclusive Messes, these failures get discussed, by the very people who know what they are talking about. The disconnect seems to be because we have a doctrine catch-up from the Cold War to complete, and a Chain of Command that stifles frank views and the necessary ability to accept these views and act on them.

I'm not flaming in posting this - this is just my view, but I'd be interested to know - Could the SOP's that we work with, result in this type of incident happening again?

RIP the six RMP's, and I hope their' families gain some solace from knowing that the deaths of their' loved ones are provoking people to ask questions.
  10. I fall back on what i have said before in that the Corps as an institution is 'failed'. It has lost its way because at each level you have individuals, good and bad who have highly differing views on what the role is and individuals whose motivation is driven by their perception of that role rather than the task in hand.

I don't pretend to know what the solution is but blundering on as before really achieves little, perhaps the RM police solution should be considered? Take trained soldiers who have experience in combat units and form Provost Units from them then dissapate those with experience in the Provost Unit across fighting units in the form of Regimental Police. It seems to work for them and face it as the army is becoming pretty much UK based who is kidding that there is any meaningful uniformed police work to do.

Perhaps free up RMP NCOs time by getting rid of the so called 'Police Stations' they are nothing of the sort and just tie up valuable time which could be used for other things. Anyway, have you been in a real police station these days? If they are open (which is rare) you only see civilian staff. Stop wasting time investigating 'crimes' which the civvy police would not touch. If a student complained to the Police of a theft from the halls of residence no action would be taken.

Let the guys and girls know what there real job is, because it bears little connection to their training. More importantly make sure that supervisory ranks, including officers, know the core job better that the JNCOs. It is hard to run an organisation when the subordinates think and know that they are better than their seniors.
  11. Amen to that brother!! (that's a non-Masonic 'brother' by the way)
  12. Trouble is things will not change and yet another catastrophe will come along which will be nobody's fault.
  13. Never is though, is it?