BBC save comedy?

Unless it involved clowns beating him to death with custard pies.

Last edited:
Chaplin, Lloyd etc - visual comedy works.
Bit of a detour here, but I've always wanted to check out the old B&W comedians. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy and Harold Lloyd. I haven't seen a single one of their movies however.

The problem is I can't get their movies anywhere here in Aus. They're not available for rent or to watch on any of the regular options and they don't have DVD's anywhere that I can find.

Refusing to let movies move into the public domain after a certain amount of years when everyone even remotely attached to them has been dead for years is a blight.

Liked the 'Black Books' programmes with Bill Bailey and Dylan Moran. Excellent mix of funny dialogue and the surreal. I was surprised when my 8 year old daughter (at the time) got it straight away and has developed a humour much like mine. Wife and other daughter still don't get it. DNA's a lottery.
I still laugh at the Jehovahs Witness gag in the first episode (When Manny opens the door).

Bit of a detour here, but I've always wanted to check out the old B&W comedians. Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Laurel and Hardy and Harold Lloyd. I haven't seen a single one of their movies however.

The problem is I can't get their movies anywhere here in Aus. They're not available for rent or to watch on any of the regular options and they don't have DVD's anywhere that I can find.

Refusing to let movies move into the public domain after a certain amount of years when everyone even remotely attached to them has been dead for years is a blight.
Try harder.

Laurel & Hardy - The Box Set Collection [DVD]

Of course, they're much cheaper (£30) if you buy them in UK. Even cheaper if you watch them on YouTube.

old_fat_and_hairy

LE
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Yep, as someone else said, you tube. Lots of L&H on there as well as the others, including Joe McDoakes, an American who did a load of short films ( Behind the * ball) that I used to watch at Saturday morning flicks.. 3 Stooges too.

The problem with shows of that type is that there is limited material.
So rather than just make one series, they plod on making two or three, and it ain't funny any more.
That was the genius of Fawlty Towers - they knew when to stop.
Years ago I was wasting time, flicking through the RS catalogue, when I looked at the section on training aids and videos - this was before DVDs. There was a management training video where the new tea boy was mistaken for a new manager.

There has to be comedy potential there!

Are you near Sydney?
Australia's Silent Film Festival- Archive -
What region DVD's do you need?