BBC save comedy?

That's not very woke for a BBC boss, we'll probably end up with "It ain't half hot Mohammed" instead causing more offence than they planned

That's not very woke for a BBC boss, we'll probably end up with "It ain't half hot Mohammed" instead causing more offence than they planned
Just dug out my hard drive and looked in the folder marked 'comedy', which I keep for posterity...
Q - With Spike in a turban? No chance!
Ditto The Party
Fawlty Towers? Nope, that is sexist
Python? Naaah, you could blunderbuss that with racist, sexist, ableist, ageist etc
Dave Allen?
Dud and Pete?
Dame Edna?
Snowflakes WILL find something to be offended at.

Bizarrely, post 1994, Saffer TV showed a whole lot of UK TV shows which they hadn't been allowed to before, due to cultural boycotts.
Among the most popular were Mind Your Language and Love Thy Neighbour.

Last edited:
The broadcaster said yesterday it would 'open the doors to new voices' that do not usually make it to air.

The new unit will set out to 'engage and enable and enrich the under-represented and under-privileged', the BBC said.

However, it is likely to face a backlash from critics over its decision to appoint Mr Allen, who attended the prestigious Belfast Royal Academy grammar school before studying at Edinburgh University.

His first recruit on the project, Emily Allen, went to St Andrews University. She is also understood to be white.

The venture follows criticism from audiences that the BBC is too white, too middle-class, and does not take enough risks.

Indeed, Mr Allen caused distress to John Cleese last year by saying that Monty Python had starred 'six Oxbridge white blokes.'

Cleese rebuffed Mr Allen and offered that his job title should perhaps be changed to that of head of 'social engineering'.
Another one that thinks the colour of your skin or what's between your legs should be part of the selection process.

This springs to mind:

Lieutenant Steven Hauk:
I understand you're pretty funny as a dee-jay and, well, comedy is kind of a hobby of mine. Well, actually, it's a little more than just a hobby, Reader's Digest is considering publishing two of my jokes.

Adrian Cronauer:
Really.

Lieutenant Steven Hauk:
Yeah. And perhaps some night we could maybe get together and swap humorous stories, for fun.

Adrian Cronauer:
Oh, why not? Maybe play a couple of Tennessee Ernie Ford records, that'd be a hoot.

Lieutenant Steven Hauk:
That's a joke, right?

Adrian Cronauer:
Maybe.

Lieutenant Steven Hauk:
I get it.

"The following programme contains scenes which some snowflakes may find disturbing".

I can remember when any history programme concerning warfare of any description wasn’t pre announced with...
“the following programme contains themes that some viewers may find very distressing”

TheresaMay

ADC
DirtyBAT
People have always complained about every single little thing.

My ex wife would complain if she won the lottery "yeah but I had to f**king share the jackpot with three others..."

It's just more accessible these days.

Gone are the days you had to see if you were lucky enough for your pointless whinge to be read out on Points of View; these days you can bait the likes of Wayne Rooney and Piers Morgan by offering them out on Twatter instead.

Wayne Rooney and Piers Morgan by offering them out on Twatter instead.
Go for Piers, Wayne's a handy lad and was a tasty amateur boxer in his youth.

I can remember when any history programme concerning warfare of any description wasn’t pre announced with...
“the following programme contains themes that some viewers may find very distressing”
And. " Warning - the following news report contains flash photography !"

Why not just close your eyes if it affects you badly, instead of gawping at it until you keel over.
FFS.

Waz

Old-Salt
They used to warn you at the beginning of a program if it contained "strong language" "upsetting scenes" "strong language", sex, violence, or any combination of those. Talk about ruining the plot. Now they do it at the beginning and after breaks in case you are tuning in late. What if you tune in late, but after the 14th warning and are subjected to one of these horrors?
The damage that could be done if you hear a swear word without being warned is immeasurable.
I'm all for a rolling feed at the bottom of the screen just in case. "This adult program you tuned into out of choice at 11pm, may contain adult themes."

And. " Warning - the following news report contains flash photography !"

Why not just close your eyes if it affects you badly, instead of gawping at it until you keel over.
FFS.
Here is an interesting take on it, from the Grauniad, of all places.

Why do newsreaders make such a big deal about flash photography?

Ofcom couldn't stop ITV axing The South Bank Show but it can still reduce the risk of epileptic seizures. These are the parameters of television regulation.

They used to warn you at the beginning of a program if it contained "strong language" "upsetting scenes" sex, violence, or any combination of those. Talk about ruining the plot. Now they do it at the beginning and after breaks in case you are tuning in late. What if you tune in late, but after the 14th warning and are subjected to one of these horrors?
The damage that could be done if you hear a swear word without being warned is immeasurable.
I'm all for a rolling feed at the bottom of the screen just in case. "This adult program you tuned into out of choice at 11pm, may contain adult themes."
When that chap went batshit at Virginia Tech, they bleeped out all the swearwords and pixelated his mouth and fingers on his ranty video, lest if offend.
Personally, I find the violent deaths off 33 people a tad more offensive that a zap sign, or the word '****'.

They used to warn you at the beginning of a program if it contained "strong language" "upsetting scenes" sex, violence, or any combination of those. Talk about ruining the plot. Now they do it at the beginning and after breaks in case you are tuning in late. What if you tune in late, but after the 14th warning and are subjected to one of these horrors?
I'm all for a rolling feed at the bottom of the screen just in case.
Not all warnings were bad

You had the C4 warning triangle for example, where you knew you were guaranteed some nudity if it appeared

So some boring drama like The Camomile Lawn would come on and you'd be about to switch over, but low and behold the warning triangle appeared meaning there was the possibility of something worth watching

When that chap went batshit at Virginia Tech, they bleeped out all the swearwords and pixelated his mouth and fingers on his ranty video, lest if offend.
Personally, I find the violent deaths off 33 people a tad more offensive that a zap sign, or the word '****'.
I blame 'Batman' back in the 70s - all those un-necesasary "ZAP!" and "POW!" captions...