BBC Russian radio hits the off switch after 65 years

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Mar 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - BBC Russian radio hits the off switch after 65 years

I used to listen to BBC Russian in my car on a way to the office and back home.
    I understand. It's economy stupid.

2. If you Russians want to listen to the BBC, you;re more than welcome to pay for it.

3. I'd prefer that the BBC axe many of its superfluous UK channels and stations and use the money on these World Service stations that actually serve UK Plc rather well.

4. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Hey the BBC World Service is superlative and has a well desrved reputation for excellence, it is simply the best ambassador we have, and the FO's reluctance to fund it is a disgrace.

Even our American cousins believe it's worth stumping up for: Media Lens Message Board: U.S. will fund BBC World Service

No other International Broadcaster comes close to the coverage, reach and quality that the World Sevice has. We should be giving it more money to prevent services like BBC Russia and others from being cut back.

5. "I'd prefer that the BBC axe many of its superfluous UK channels and stations and use the money on these World Service stations that actually serve UK Plc rather well"

One thing that the recent problems in Japan highlighted, and presumably in places like Libya etc, was that the internet offerings of the BBC which are supposed to replace the "Broadcasted" services are as much use as tits on a fish, when the internet blocked, or as in Japan, when there is very little electricity due to some natural disaster. By all means restrict the foreign language services of the World Service, but dont lose the World Wide Short Wave broadcast system, its the nature of the broadcast that is essential, not necessarily the content in a foreign language.

6. Remember working in Bush House during the 80's. Top floor had small booths for broadcasters from all over the old USSR. Just a bloke, a microphone a record deck and loads of cigarettes in a tiny space. Even then I used to wonder how these men and women affected peoples lives or not. I worked outside on the roof and during the small hrs some would drift out for the view after a broadcast. Most had horror stories about behind the Iron curtain.
    BTW BBC move out of Bush house this year I think. Fantastic building and the most expensive ever built in 1923.

7. +1

Right on the money.

8. I agree Rampant. Although I believe the internet reaches a far more critical audience. I'm sure I heard that numbers of listeners were down through the BBC World Service and this was their primary reason for cutting. Still think it's a mistake as radio, in my view, will always be a valid form of connecting people.

9. Hmmm. I worked there once. The Soviets had such respect for the BBC short-wave radio transmissions that they expended a huge effort in jamming it. I also recall a conversation with one of the broadcasters, about whether the USSR spent 1/3rd or 2/3rd of its GNP on armaments. No, no, he assured me, it's nothing like 2/3rds. It is 3/3rds; the only people who didn't work directly for the state armaments industries were providing goods and services for those that did. If the cold war should stop, the economy will collapse. He was an anxious and patriotic man who found that his beloved country had fallen under the control of a military mafia.

There were some worried people working there after Georgi Markov was murdered.

At that time Radio Moscow was also broadcasting some monumentally crap propaganda on short wave to the UK. No-one listened to it, except Soviet spies.

I'm sure the staff will quickly find employment elsewhere, like the Arabic TV staff did when that was closed.

"Aljazeera Satellite Channel was launched on 1 November 1996 following the closure of the BBC's Arabic language television station, a joint venture with a Qatar Media Corporation company. It had fallen apart after a year and a half when the Saudi government attempted to kill a documentary on executions under sharia law."

10. Not just Russian, either. Just as well you don't have to make any investment in your international presence to gain the rewards of having it, eh? Still, I'm sure Voice of America will maintain it for us, so no worries there then.

Can someone give me a nudge when we have adults in charge?

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

well we have a russian version of al jazeera - russia today and its pretty good considering.

documentaries on tractor factories and beet farming plus those telling us of the true evils of western globalised business - very informative and mainly true to the shame of the controlled wester press who wont touch stories on GM or Oil exploitation.

the russian connection to the beeb continues though with the best propaganda we ever sent them, eastenders - the only western soap imported without alteration or a laughter track when the politburo realised they needed something gloomier than moscow life to subdue the masses.

12. When it was really needed it was there. And it was appreciated. If it is needed again, I am sure it will return. I have been there when it was important to people, and spoken with people since who remember it and valued it well. For now.......BBC Russian language internet service is excellent.

13. bin bbc3 simples
    and have jonathan ross and other "stars" hunted down by hounds that would make good tv and save a packet :)
    although moyles would'nt make much sport maybe just cover him in ham and set dogs on him
    instead.

14. About time this thread was revived, what is the BBC World service status now towards Russia with it being so much in the news?