BBC researcher ???

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armourer, Feb 6, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got this pm from:

mclagan

"Hi,

I am a researcher for the BBC's current affairs department - currently researching a programme which will explore the problems faced by servicemen and women leaving the military. We will be focusing the program on the issue of homelessness among ex-servicemen, and hope to shed light on the paths which lead to this fate.

I recently worked on a film for Newsnight (which went out the night before the US elections, ) which focused upon homeless Vietnam war veterans living on the streets of San Diego California - under the nose of the USA's biggest naval port. The interviews we did at the time uncovered a wide prevalence of not only Vietnam, but Korean, Gulf War and now - 2nd Gulf War veterans who have also slipped through the net for a variety of reasons, one of the most prominent of which is PTSD.
    Much of what I found out for this film was shocking, but it made me also keen to investigate the situation for war veterans in my own country, especially because at the time of working on the Newsnight - the reaction of most people I told about the program here was 'Thank goodness that in Britain we have more respect for those who have served in the military!'

This program would aim to focus on what moves could be taken to ensure that troops returning from the Middle East over the next few years receive proper standards of training and care before, during and after their placements abroad to prevent PTSD and the social alienation many individuals feel upon return.

I have been looking into past posts on this website, and found your own.
    I was wondering if you might be interested in speaking to me in confidence over the phone, or whether you could offer me any advice on the best way to go about researching this film - and contacting soldiers who are about to (or have recently left) the army and are experiencing problems?
    You can email me directly at mora.mclagan@bbc.co.uk

Many thanks,
    Mora"

Don't know how pukka this is.

θάνατος σε μουσουλμάνους

2. You've got me!!!

Could be BBC or could be some clown from the mirror!!!

Come on Mora bit more information from yourself would be nice before anyone breaks cover. What else have you been in? Anyway of identifying yourself?

3. Check if she has a BBC e-mail address.

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

See the PTSD sticky thread. I have spoken to the BBC (but not her) - she does work there.

5. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Are you trying a wah ?

6. The Army Rumour Service, is just what it says on the tin. The membership is composed of Regular, Reserve and Ex-Forces members. As such, security of our members identites is paramount.

In future, if as a member of the media you need some help with a story or an article, we would appreciate it if you run it past one of the moderators first.

Why?

1. It's polite

2. We can determine more easily what your particular interest in our members is, and if you are genuine or a security risk.

3. It stops me deleting your posts, and issuing a general warning to the members to ignore you.

Any further 'covert' approaches by journalists, could lead to them being banned , and a complaint issued.

PTP

7. Is she talking about this country? Surely people are not that naive,compared to the UK, the Americans treat their ex-service personnel magnificently!

Tip for you Mora, talk to some of the TA soldiers that lost their jobs because of being mobilised and go no support, go and visit their ex-employers, stick a camera in their faces and then you might get some respect here.

8. In any case, it is certainly true that in the US, many of the 'homeless vets' on the streets are out and out fakes. See several previous posts by me and the groundbreaking 'Stolen Valor' by BG Burkett. His research tended to show that the proportion of military vets who were homeless was below the national average for other trades and occupations. It's easy enough to fool people in the US: you can get a copy of a DD214 discharge document off the web and fill it in yourself, but until that is compared against an actual record of service it is virtually meaningless.

9. Hmm, I wonder how balanced the programme will be.
    Too many "documentaries" are produced to fit a preconceived agenda.

10. I'd be very wary of assisting the BBC - the heirarchy have a strong left-wing agenda and they are no friend of the Forces. Those of you who were on the ground during Telic 1 may recall the consistent negative reporting from the BBC embeds, and the even more slanted product coming back via the World Service and sat TV - in my patch, all of the other print & TV journos ripped into the BBC crew for the blatant misrepresentation of what was happening around us.

I think you can be sure that any programme they make about PTSD/homeless ex-service will lay the blame with "the Army" and not with their chums in the Labour party.....

11. I very much agree 4(T) - for very much the same reasons as you -and from personal experience. I would caution anyone to be very careful with any dealings with the media. The producer/reporter have their own agenda and will never let the facts get in the way of it. The also have very pre-concieved ideas about the military and are unwilling to change them.

12. Exackerlee - remember that programme about the Kings and the LI fighting in Berlin. It was screened about 17 years ago and a lot of people fell into a whole world of pooh as a direct result. Poor sods.

Tread carefully where vipers are nesting.

13. Oh really? For a start people in the UK don't say military, they say forces. For a second, the only people in the UK who respect servicepeople (how PC is that?) are ex-servicepeople.

It's got stitchup written all over it. I would like to think that the media could make a constructive programme about the problems facing ex-servicemen (for it is predominently men) and something useful would come out of it. Like some serious assistance for the charity Combat Stress for example.
    Most likely it will sum up by saying that servicemen lead sheltered and protected lives whilst serving. They can't cope with the realities of life outside the cocoon of servicelife. It's not society's fault, servicemen have a faulty gene, thank you for your attention and good night..

14. Agreed. This ties in nicely with the other re-settlement threads. As for being ex-forces and gaining respect from it all I can say is 'I don't think so' The army is perceived by many as a mindless tool of a totalitarian govt who is not afraid to weild it where ever they please. As the publics' exposure to the army and other arms has been reduced over the years by the PC brigade, so has the understanding they used to have of us. Some of the posts here by people enquiring about how to join the army and what to expect are good examples of this. Negative press and sensationalist media stories do nothing to promote just what positive things someone can get out of an army career.

15. whether or not its a wind-up (and does have the Mirror tattoo'd all over it) agree with PtP that something like this should be left to the mods.

also, the whole background sticks like dog-sh*t " i was involved in putting together an anti-military programme designed to embarrass the current president the night of the election" SHOCK!

sounds like the sort of thing the lefties do for their own ends and not for the benefit of blokes!

why not contact Combat Stress or ABF??? why contact ARRSE????