BBC report Para Pay to be axed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, May 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Following on from recent cuts to "Para Thread Bingo" when we had to remove Operational Jump & Suez it looks as though we'll have to remove Para Pay also

BBC News - Parachute Regiment soldiers face 'special payment' cut

Thousands of members of the Parachute Regiment could lose the right to special payments for their parachuting skills, under MoD cost-cutting plans.

The Army could cut the number of those fully trained to parachute in 16 Air Assault Brigade - who include cooks and quartermasters - lowering the number who qualify for the £180-a-month bonus.

At the moment, almost 5,000 parachute-trained members of the armed forces receive the special supplement of nearly £6 a day in recognition of the extra risks and skills involved in parachuting.
  2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The report seems contradictory. It mentions the Parachute Regiment for the chop and then says the support arms in 16X are being targeted. I would hazard the latter is closer to the truth.
  3. Well, about time too. Without appearing to demean the Paras who are recognised as the elite of the British Army, they are being paid for a skill that is not being used at all. Such pay is, of course, relevant to members of SF and SFSG but not to frontline infantry. There is no cogent argument for maintaining this pay when we are cutting the nitty gritty such as allowances and accommodation.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Like I said, I don't think it's the Para Regt that will be hit:
  5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I saw that and it seemed a bit confusing
    If you've no need to be Para trained why would you have been sent on the course (and P Coy) in the first place?
    I thought places were supposed to be limited as it was on the BPC?
    I assume 2 Sqn Raf Reg and RM trained personell will lose theirs also
  6. Lets face it though not enough planes to parachuck from nowadays with all the cuts
  7. SP pay whether it’s Para, EOD, Flying, Diving etc is based on retention and recruiting, not extra pay for getting a qualification.

If there is no problem recruiting or retaining qualified people then the argument for its existence disappears.

Note - This not my opinion just the facts.

8. Para trained RM personnel don't get extra pay unless in a 16AA billet. Mountain Leaders (MLs) get ML-pay in line with considerable other skills that they maintain.

The report is very confusing indeed. It would appear that Para Reg won't lose this pay, only supporting arms. Slightly criminal really. Losing the pay doesn't devalue P Coy. It is still a required course for an elite unit.
  9. A clever move to enhance morale, bolster recruiting and assist with retention.

I never imagined that the general treatment of the Armed Forces meted out under the 'Blair-Brown-Balls Terror' could ever be worsened - I was wrong. The current crop of cretinous muppets, masquerading as a government, make the last lot of failures look positively benevolent!
  10. From the BBC Comments. I thought only the Monkeys had a red beret, the paras preferring a maroon one...

10. Keith Lamb
    I went through a hell of a lot of pain, suffering, and humiliation to gain that ‘Red Beret’, but the day I received it, was one the proudest day’s of my life. Young private soldiers don’t get much, please don’t take this away from them as well!!!
  11. As said before. The Report is using the grabbing headline The Paras. Its contradictory. The Para slots are being cut down yes and about time but towards the non essential Badge collectors who got loaded on a BPC just becuse thay could. A good thing I think. The Battalions will still get their guys on the course and much quicker as apposed to PTSU staff having to please all the other atts and dets who demand a place on the course just because they "had" a para pid.
    The booties from 3 Cdo will lose a fair few places as well and yes they do get Para Pay. You have Arty and Engr atts who have or had Para pids as well as Recce. All recived Para pay under the pay warrant.
  12. Booties losing places on BPC? I think you're about to be a little surprised on that one. What this space for an increase in both Paras and Marines being required to complete a jumps course and a lot closer collaboration between the two.