BBC Radio 4 0900 Thurs 10 Aug 17-Blair

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Tony Blair talks to Peter Hennessy in 'Reflections"

Tony Blair, Series 5, Reflections with Peter Hennessy - BBC Radio 4

In the first programme of this run, Peter Hennessy's guest is Tony Blair, the former Prime Minister, who gave his name to an era following a rapid rise to power and his energetic leadership at home and abroad during ten years in Downing Street. Like other leaders whose personality creates an aura and whose name creates an 'ism', few people are neutral about Tony Blair and his legacy.

In the interview Blair reflects on his early enthusiasm for acting, 'the performance element' in his character, and the experiences that shaped his political and religious beliefs. Recalling his journey from youthful far-left politics to mainstream Labour and his dramatic path to power, he tells of his dealings with Gordon Brown.

On his premiership, Blair recalls battles against Whitehall's resistance to reform and reflects ruefully on his relations with the media. The conversation explores two of the most momentous issues during his premiership - negotiating the Northern Ireland peace agreement and the controversial decision to go to war in Iraq. On politics today, Blair re-affirms his interest in re-making the centre-left in British politics and shaping a policy agenda to address the challenge of globalisation.

From a media pov ,interesting timing....allows time for weekend papers to absorb and comment and a pre- piece in The Economist which publishes on a Thursday.

@halo_jones - the Twittersphere will be interesting ?

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning.
I'm sure I have some sort of outdoor activity that day.
Or... I'll make sure I have.
I cannot abide that vacuous, pathologically narcissistic,stuttering, empire building , duplicitous, fork tongued....person.
And, he was stupid enough to marry a truly epic mirror cracker.
Apart from that he's a sound guy.

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks for the warning.
I'm sure I have some sort of outdoor activity that day.
Good for you feller....too early for tattie howking but a brisk walk is always good.

Listening to it now.....teeth on edge....waiting for Hennessy to ask him

" how have you amassed a personal fortune estimated at £60M since leaving office? "
Revealed: Tony Blair worth a staggering £60m

Last edited:
So with his 'amassed million', like his pal Mandelson, these two appear to be liked to be seen with the mega rich and politically powerful figures in todays Wrold. Perhaps the streak of 'Threatricals' is what drives him on to seek 'approval' from these people - the movers and shakers of society.

IMHO, Blair and his likes appear to be driven to want to be seen as "Something Very Important". if 'Brexit' does occur in due time, then the UK will have no influence over Blair if he wants to chance his and Cherie's further rise to fame and cash by being appointed as the 'First Amongst Equals' as President-Czar of All Europe, assuming the others in the Brussels Politburo will want him and Cherrie lauding it over them all, and being a pain in the polititcla butt.

There is nothing wrong with amassing wealth, but it is what you do with it. There have been many wealthy people in history, philanthropists who have used their weatlh to engage and improve the lives of those in less fortunate economic situations. So has Blair's Foundation the same ethical approach to wealth as those of the past and present?

Last edited:

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
He's prolly got a book to sell....

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was looking at second hand books while it was on. Nothing really floated my boat. Zero Alpha chipped in. "There's this, Blair's Wars". I looked at my watch.

"He's on Radio 4 about now. How will I know when he's lying if I can't see his lips move? Oh silly me, it's Tony Blair."

Some time ago, I listened to the one with Norman Tebbit. I gained an impression of a man of conviction - someone who left a relatively cozy life as an airline pilot because he wanted to make a difference. I was struck by his sincerity, his commitment and his willingness to stand by his beliefs and anything that he said.

...that's the difference.

'So Tony- you're a bit of a cnut really aren't you?'

'Well yes, I suppose I am'

World's shortest interview.

Edit- just realised Tony would NEVER admit it.

Last edited:
I listened to it on the way home from work last night
I'm sure he referred to somewhere called Eye Rack
Seems G.W. is doing the voice as well as pulling the strings these days

'So Tony- you're a bit of a cnut really aren't you?'

'Well yes, I suppose I am'

World's shortest interview.

Edit- just realised Tony would NEVER admit it.
"Well you have to look at the reasons for my being a cůnt. Its not like God didnt tell me to be a cůnt........."

Yeah Know what your saying but having viewed it, Blairs millions and I mean milloinS , how he came about getting them and from who is stunning to be honest.
Again *shiver* I couldn't agree more: but Gorgeous George is not short in the Brass Neck Stakes, though I suspect he believes his supplements are earned more 'honestly'.

The toad.