BBC Radio 2 gets it so so wrong!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by BuggerAll, Dec 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've just listened to the Radio 2/BFBS Xmas link up. What was generally a splendid and moving program was ruined by 2 idiotic and completely inappropiate items. The first was a trendy lefty anti war poem which mentioned bodybags etc. Nothing wrong with good anti-war poetry, but time and place. The sencond was an interview with Bruce K@nt about Kember. Completely out of place.

2. What ? You mean the BBC aired something trendy & lefty !!! Thats not like them is it ? I know exactly what you mean about the BBC. They have fast dissapeared up thier own lefty arrse. Its only on in my house now because the missus likes Eastenders. Any other time I won,t have the bloody thing on. You want to hear the crap they put out on the young kiddies programs. Talk about getting them while thier young !!!. Unfortunatly any item now involving the Armed Forces will involve them bringing the Iraq situation into it. Even a show which aims to boost morale with the guys & thier familys at a difficult time of year. Innapropiate , Yes. Supprising No.

Regards LT.

3. I thought the poem Lines on War was good. From what I read it wasn't just about Iraq.
    She probably put more thought into that, than the head of mad decisions at No. 10 did in early 2003.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/shows/vine/poem.shtml

4. It's frigging cack.

5. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Me wonders why Radio 2 done it this year?Was'nt it always Virgin Radio that done the link up with BFBS?
    Spike

6. I was listening to Radio 2 during the linkup with BFBS and i also thought that the interview about Kember was completely out of place!

7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I heard bit's of the interview & I agree.The interview about Kember was'nt right.I would have thought that it was about the servicemen & women away from home & their loved ones & not to bolster the issue of a captive civilian.

8. That "poem" is only one pompous creative writing degree away from being a limerick.
    Its fvcking aweful.

Well done on noticing the shared usage of the word "just." Now plss off and smoke some really thin rolled up cigarettes and drink red wine from a mug - dont call us we'll call you and dont set fire to your headscarf.

Im not angry at the setiment particualrly but the writing was ham and cliched!

9. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Anyone wishing to apprise the Bliar Broadcasting Corporation of their feelings can do so here:

BBC Complaints

10. BuggerAll

Lines On War

There are Just Wars
    And then there are just wars,
    And I find it hard to sort out
    What the reasons for
    The Just Wars
    And the wars which are
    Just wars
    Are all about.

Easier to count body-bags
    Than reasons.

I don't trust anyone
    To remember for sure
    What differences make
    For a Just War
    And a war which is just a war.

I try not to forget the sweating girl,
    To remember the breathing boy
    Just crawling about
    In some mud
    And through blood
    As they must
    In Korea or Troy ;

The Legionnaire,
    The Grenadier,
    The Desert rat,
    In Flanders , The Falklands ,
    Egypt or Iraq .

Or The War Just After That.

Lucy Berry
    Copyright BBC

Thats the poem. I'm not posting it so we can debate its artistic merit and message. I've no great beef with its message - my compalint was the time and place they chose to read it out. Imagine families sitting at home listening to thier loved ones at war. Up comes little little Johny: 'Whats a body bag mum?." Are these people insensitive or what.

Incedentily I'm not that impressed with its artistic merit. Its from the womens hour school of poetry. Ram home the message. Ms Berry seems to assume her audience is too stupid to understand her subtle point so she repeats her joke.

11. That's an appalling piece of poetry. Lucy Berry isn't a descendent of Ambrose McGongial is she? The nearest to Kipling that piece of work is likely to have been is if she put the piece of paper she scrawled it on down by some 'exceedingly good cakes'.

12. That poem has to be some sort of parody, right? That or it was written by somebody the R2 Producer knows.

In any case :: puts literary critics head on :: it was fcuking shite.

V!

13. I wonder if she is an 'alter ego' of the great Private Eye wordsmith, E J Thribb (17 1/2)

14. I think they forgot to put her age on it.

It should probably say 'Lucy Berry age 12 1/2'

15. BuggerAll

My complaint to the BBC, thier reply and my intemperate responce:

Mine:

I have just listened to the Forces link up program which was broadcast on BFBS as well. What was generally a splendid program was ruined by 2 items. Who on earth thought that poem was suitable (am sure I don't really have to point out what was wrong with it you are suppossed to be intellegent people) and who thought that a discussion about Kember was appropiate. You should be aware that there is a significant body of thought that feels that Kember's predicament is 'self inflicted' and that in the proccess he has made the world a more dangerous place for the poor bloody squaddy. I don't suppose anyone would actually wish him harm - but there is not a
    lot of sympathy.

BBC:

Dear Stuart

Thank you for your e-mail regarding BFBS.

I am unable to trace a programme called 'Forces Link' but I think you may be referring to the 'Jeremy Vine' programme broadcast yesterday, in which Christmas messages were passed from families in the UK to forces personnel serving abroad.

As the BBC is not responsible for the selection of programmes featured on BFBS, you would need to direct any complaints about inappropriate content directly to BFBS.

I am unable to trace a copy of any poem referring to the plight of Norman Kember and so I cannot comment on the content. Since no news of Mr Kember has been forthcoming since 11 December, and with Christmas imminent, the distress of the Kember family at this time is something that many people will feel sympathy with; consequently, a discussion of the subject is in keeping with the theme of people separated at what is traditionally a time for families to be together.

I trust that this will clarify the situation.

In closing, may I thank you once again for taking the time to contact the BBC.

Regards,

John Clarke
    BBC Information

Mine:

OK Smart Arse, I got the name of the prog wrong - I heard it on a link with BFBS but it was a Radio 2 prog, I have not complained to BFBS but as you mentioned it I will. The poem I was refering to was Lines on War by Lucy Berry - I've reproduced it below - if you think it was appropiate to the prog you are in the wrong job.

Lines On War

There are Just Wars
    And then there are just wars,
    And I find it hard to sort out
    What the reasons for
    The Just Wars
    And the wars which are
    Just wars
    Are all about.

Easier to count body-bags
    Than reasons.

I don't trust anyone
    To remember for sure
    What differences make
    For a Just War
    And a war which is just a war.

I try not to forget the sweating girl,
    To remember the breathing boy
    Just crawling about
    In some mud
    And through blood
    As they must
    In Korea or Troy ;

The Legionnaire,
    The Grenadier,
    The Desert rat,
    In Flanders , The Falklands ,
    Egypt or Iraq .

Or The War Just After That.

Lucy Berry
    Copyright BBC

Oh and its a crap poem!

Oh and while I'm on the Kember item was misplaced. Osama Bin Laden is seperated from his family - you did not feel it necessary to bring him into the program. Mr Kember's plight is entirly self inflicted - he is making the job of people serving in Iraq more dangerous - as a consequesnce of which some of them may end up in one of Ms Berry's body bags - do you really think its appropiate to discuss him in a program for Forces Families. Or was it done because it is right on and trendy and scores points with your trendy Guardian reading mates.