BBC: Putin attacks very dangerous US

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6349287.stm

Russian President Vladimir Putin has attacked the United States for what he said was its "almost uncontained" use of force around the world.

America's "very dangerous" approach to global relations was fuelling a nuclear arms race, he told a security summit.

Correspondents say the strident speech may signal a more assertive Russia.
Mr Putin told senior security officials from around the world that nations were "witnessing an almost uncontained hyper use of force in international relations".

"One state, the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way," the Russian president said.

"This is very dangerous. Nobody feels secure anymore because nobody can hide behind international law," he said, speaking through a translator.

"This is nourishing an arms race with the desire of countries to get nuclear weapons."
Western leaders in the audience, including Mrs Merkel, looked decidedly glum-faced when President Putin had finished, our correspondent adds.

Well he would wouldn't he Sergey? :thumright: I notice Vlad the Impaler has upped defence spending by a good whack. Why not spend the extra money on fire escapes for hospitals?

When in difficulty at home, develop an external threat! And (sorry bad Staff Duties) before you go down that road, we do have an external threat, namely nutters in funny kit telling us we should stop drinking (I am a sweaty sock so that won't happen), bow towards Mecca 5 times a day, develop 7th Century morals and dress our bints up in black bin liners. I'll bet footie matches and Rugby clubs are fantastic in Saudi Arabia.

On a much more important note, as we have agreed to have a drink sometime in Moskva are any of your wifes' mates in the FSB (even remotely - don't want to reduce the odds too much) attractive? Imagine my ARRSE street cred if I actually fcuked over the Organs of State Security? We wouldn't have to buy a drink again - ever!! :brilsmurf:

And if we could actuall do it in the Lubyanka - well..................

Edited for sexually excited spelling.

B

Biscuits_AB

KGB_resident said:

Russian President Vladimir Putin has attacked the United States for what he said was its "almost uncontained" use of force around the world.

America's "very dangerous" approach to global relations was fuelling a nuclear arms race, he told a security summit.

Mr Putin told senior security officials from around the world that nations were "witnessing an almost uncontained hyper use of force in international relations".

"One state, the United States, has overstepped its national borders in every way," the Russian president said.

"This is very dangerous. Nobody feels secure anymore because nobody can hide behind international law," he said, speaking through a translator.

"This is nourishing an arms race with the desire of countries to get nuclear weapons."
Western leaders in the audience, including Mrs Merkel, looked decidedly glum-faced when President Putin had finished, our correspondent adds.
And all of that from a man who's country occupied half of Europe and who invaded in order to spread the word of Communism.

frenchperson said:
Pot / Kettle.
Chechnya / Litvinenko et al. Wasn't it Putin who passed a law clearing the way for the liquidation of 'terrorists' abroad?

And you just can't ignore this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6280000/newsid_6285800/6285835.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm
The BBC has uncovered fresh evidence about contacts of ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko.

Traces of radioactive material have been linked to two Russian businessmen who met with him in London. John Sweeney reports.
And what? There are some allegations, no more.

Random_Task said:
I suspect Mr.Putin would love to be able to project Russian military strength in the way in which the United States does.
He was trying just before the Iraq war, sell the guy some arms, get given a few oil exploration licences - all despite the sanctions of course

KGB_resident said:
frenchperson said:
Pot / Kettle.
Chechnya / Litvinenko et al. Wasn't it Putin who passed a law clearing the way for the liquidation of 'terrorists' abroad?

And you just can't ignore this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/player/nol/newsid_6280000/newsid_6285800/6285835.stm?bw=bb&mp=rm
The BBC has uncovered fresh evidence about contacts of ex-spy Alexander Litvinenko.

Traces of radioactive material have been linked to two Russian businessmen who met with him in London. John Sweeney reports.
And what? There are some allegations, no more.
Seven dead in mysterious circumstances? And two prime suspects for the killing of Litvinenko? Do you think they all committed suicide?

I advise you to watch this space. There's a lot more to come out.

frenchperson said:
Seven dead in mysterious circumstances?
And what?

frenchperson said:
And two prime suspects for the killing of Litvinenko?
Who namely does suspect them? Scotland Yard? I haven't heard about any formal chrges.

frenchperson said:
Do you think they all committed suicide?
I don't know.

frenchperson said:
I advise you to watch this space. There's a lot more to come out.
OK. Let's wait. For example French government officially recognised state terrorism. Portugese cameraman was blown up. Name of French agents are known, they were sentenced.

In the cases you mean we haven't a full picture. So it won't be be right to speak about Russian state terrorism.

I wouldn't defend or condone any government involved in blowing people up, even if they justify their actions as being for the greater good. Unfortunately, I suspect most fairly large and powerful countries have agents who have been or are currently involved in state-sponsored murder.

And I'm not French.

frenchperson said:
I wouldn't defend or condone any government involved in blowing people up, even if they justify their actions as being for the greater good. Unfortunately, I suspect most fairly large and powerful countries have agents who have been or are currently involved in state-sponsored murder.

And I'm not French.
I know it Frenchperson that really you are not French. Of course secret services exist but you overestimate value of 'murders' to reach political objectives for big countries. For example, death of mr.Litvinenko works rather against Russian interests. So do you think that planners in secret services are idiots?

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2007/02/10/killersdetained.shtml

Russian police have detained two Chechens over suspicion of carrying out a hit on famous reporter and HR activist Anna Politkovskaya, the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily reported on Saturday.

The newspaper quoted a source close to the investigation in the report. The source had said that the two detained suspects were tracked down with help of satellite photos. Several suspicious people and cars were noticed on satellite images of the scene of crime. After all the data was compared, investigators managed to conduct first detentions.

Pot calling kettle black does not (IMHO) excuse either from whatever it is that made them acquire that hue in the first place.

KGB_resident said:

Until oil prices drop and they run to get back into the West's good graces.

A cynical statement from one who has singlehandedly led a retreat from democracy back into a state-nationalist-near fascist government.

Pure pompous and hyperbole-spewing bullsh*t coming from the Karate Kid. He obviously relishes taking advantage of this as much as possible. Unfortunately for him Russia is experiencing a brain drain of humongous proportions, a population implosion and economic growth based on oil only. I suspect he knows this well and is thrashing around desperately for allies while he still has something to offer.

What will he say in three years when new, less belligerent and more diplomatically engaging administration is in power in DC?

Hi Virgil!

You position is still unclear for me. So may I ask some questions?

Mr.Putin thinks that USA regards itself as the only centre for decision-making in international affairs. USA tries to substitute interantional legislation by own internal laws. USA is widely using military force for this pupose. From mr.Putin's point of view it contaradicts democratic principles.

In this context I would like to ask you (and also all our friends) some questions.

1. Where mr.Putin is correct and where he is wrong?

2. Do you personally think that other countries should perform orders from Washington without obkections?

3. Have other countries (like China, Russia, Iran and so on) abilities to make serious obstacles for USA?

KGB_resident said:
http://www.mosnews.com/news/2007/02/10/killersdetained.shtml

Russian police have detained two Chechens over suspicion of carrying out a hit on famous reporter and HR activist Anna Politkovskaya, the Komsomolskaya Pravda daily reported on Saturday.

The newspaper quoted a source close to the investigation in the report. The source had said that the two detained suspects were tracked down with help of satellite photos. Several suspicious people and cars were noticed on satellite images of the scene of crime. After all the data was compared, investigators managed to conduct first detentions.
So it's not hard for law enforcement agencies to fit someone up to muddy/hide trail to the real killer(s) and why o why would a satellite be watching a block of flats were a reporter lived unless someone wanted to see the job was done? Pravda not exactly an independent and free from goverment paper that is it?

brettarider said:
So it's not hard for law enforcement agencies to fit someone up to muddy/hide trail to the real killer(s) and why o why would a satellite be watching a block of flats were a reporter lived unless someone wanted to see the job was done? Pravda not exactly an independent and free from goverment paper that is it?
The UK hasn't own net of spy satelites, so it could surprise you. Russia has a capability (and the capability was created lomg ago) to perform a constant 24 hours per day monitoring of large enough territories. Moscow has 1000 sq.km - not a big piece of land really.

Btw, my uncle (a former colonel of GRU) 11 years worked namely with satelite images. China was his sphrere of responsibility. Though in 1967 and 1973 he worked with images from the ME.

I heard tham mrs.Politkovskaya discovered some information about corruption in Chechnya. It could be a possible case of her killing.

KGB_resident said:
Hi Virgil!

You position is still unclear for me. So may I ask some questions?

Mr.Putin thinks that USA regards itself as the only centre for decision-making in international affairs. USA tries to substitute interantional legislation by own internal laws. USA is widely using military force for this pupose. From mr.Putin's point of view it contaradicts democratic principles.
I would rephrase it. The Karate Kid thinks the US is distracted and he can gain time to make key alliances or leadership cache and put Russia back in the forefront as a great power. Although he states a lot of truth I sincerely doubt his reasons for doing so are altruistic in any form. It's in the Russian national interest in his eyes.

In this context I would like to ask you (and also all our friends) some questions.

1. Where mr.Putin is correct and where he is wrong?
I think it's answered above.

2. Do you personally think that other countries should perform orders from Washington without obkections?
Of course not.

3. Have other countries (like China, Russia, Iran and so on) abilities to make serious obstacles for USA?
Sure they do. China can, but less so since much of their economy is dependent on the US market, the Iranians do partly because the present US administration won't engage in intelligent diplomacy and Russia because it's export of oil leaves it like a heroin addict making obscene gestures at the local drug treatment clinic as long as his drug stash is full. They can still cause problems.

The question is the degree of obstacles and the price they may pay for doing so. The US is distracted for now, and we've got a unilateralist idiot at the helm. We won't in three years, pray to God.

Thank you Vigil for replay. In turn I agree with you that intentions of mr.Putin are far from altruistic ones, rather they are selfish.

But note, mr.Putin openly sounded some obvious points that leaders of Western countries fear to discuss.

Mr.Putin proposed some very reasonle things. For example every peacekeeping operation must be approved by UNSC.

From my point of view, if one country violates this principle then why other should follow it?

Btw, are you aware about a reaction of learned mr.Bush to the speech? Also it would be interesting to hear reaction of mr.Blair.

KGB_resident said:
brettarider said:
The UK hasn't own net of spy satelites, so it could surprise you. Russia has a capability (and the capability was created lomg ago) to perform a constant 24 hours per day monitoring of large enough territories. Moscow has 1000 sq.km - not a big piece of land really.

Btw, my uncle (a former colonel of GRU) 11 years worked namely with satelite images. China was his sphrere of responsibility. Though in 1967 and 1973 he worked with images from the ME.

I heard tham mrs.Politkovskaya discovered some information about corruption in Chechnya. It could be a possible case of her killing.
Sergey for your edification http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/alpha/zircon.htm

Tinfoil hats on!

rickshaw-major said:
Sergey for your edification http://www.fas.org/irp/eprint/alpha/zircon.htm

Tinfoil hats on!
I have heard about Zircon project. However thank you for info. Of course British scientists are experienced in satellite technologies.

http://www.qinetiq.com/home/newsroo...2005/4th_quarter/successful_first_launch.html

TopSat, the low cost micro-satellite designed and built by a QinetiQ-led consortium of British companies, was successfully launched for the first time this morning from the Plesetsk launch site in Northern Russia. The 07:52 BST launch was the culmination of a programme that began in 2000 and which is jointly funded by the British National Space Centre (BNSC) and the UK Ministry of Defence.

TopSat, which is attracting increasing interest from international government and commercial customers alike, is designed to provide 2.5 metre resolution imagery at much reduced cost to larger satellites.