BBC Programme

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by mephisto, Sep 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Wanted to let you know that I've been taking part in a BBC documentary about service people returning from tours and not getting the medical/psychological help they need.

I was sent a video of the final cut of the programme and it looks very good. I don't know any of the other people who took part but they seem to have quite a wide range of people on it.

They gave me a camera and I recorded things for about six months, to try to show my life I think.

I come across as a bit of a prat (well,ok, a lot of a prat!) in it but I think I get the point across ok.

It will go into their 'Reporters' strand of programming and I think it will be on BBC2. Not sure of the date yet. I'll let you know when I know.

There's also John Reid, Geoff Hoon and Des Browne saying suitably stupid things at various points in the programme.

As usual, I'm a bit drunk so sorry if this post is a bit nonsensical, but I thought I'd let you all know about this programme. I think it will heighten the plight of those of us who left with PTSD and/or physical injuries and who are not getting either the right help or the right benefits.

It looks at both the medical/psychological side of help for returning service people and also the benefits/compensation system.

Sorry, I'm rambling as usual but I wanted to let you know that I do occasionally try to do something useful!

I'm going to see if I can upload some of the clips from the video to youtube, although I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that before it airs but, hey, who's going to know? ;)

PS If anyone knows how to condense clips in order to upload them, could you please pm me?
  2. Nice one mate. Have you joined BAFF yet?
  3. Truck on, Mephisto - you're doing OK, mate.
  4. Thanks. :D Yes, I'm a member of BAFF.

Got all sorts of other probs at the mo. Mainly to do with something completely weird! I got this letter about them wanting to give me the DSO about eight months ago. I'm not keen on awards and medals, don't know why, they just always seem a bit strange to me so I wrote back and said I wasn't really interested. I'd be more interested in them actually HELPING me to live my life in a better way. Then, about two weeks ago, I got another letter about it. I honestly don't know what to do. They never replied to my comments in response to their first letter so I'm not sure. Ex-colleagues of mine go, 'go on, take it, it would be great' but I just don't know about it. I mention this in the programme and also my reasons for not being sure I'd accept such a thing.

To me, I'm more interested in why they don't help those of us who NEED their help, rather than getting bits of metal to say how brilliant we all are.

But, hey, that's just me. Certainly don't want to sound negative to other people who accept these things.
  5. Take it. If they've offered you it you deserve it. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face.

Use the strength of it to strengthen your case. Don't turn it down mate FFS.
  6. Hear Hear great words from Biscuits there. If you deserve an award you should take it to remember all those who made it possible for you, and most importantly for your own peace of mind in recignising that you did what you did. Bloody good effort.
  7. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I agree with the above posters Memphisto DSO will carry more clout than plain old Memphisto
    It also goes to show that true hero's (not sportsmen etc)do suffer and are not some sort of supermen who just crack on with no repercussions

Hope it all goes well for you mate well done :salut:
  8. You obviously deserve the award - accept it graciously and don't be modest. No-one would have recommended you for it if they didn't think you deserve it ..............

and congratulations
  9. Take it mephisto - as has been said, you wouldn't be offered it without god cause and well done.
  10. Well done mephisto take the medal and use it to promote the interests of others who may be feeling like you. Go on the BAFF forum and get some help and advice on how to achieve it. Sleep well.
  11. Thanks. You're probably right, but it's not a question of cutting my nose of to spite my face, it really is more complicated than that (in my mind!)

I don't want to sound negative to other people who've received medals, no way.

I suppose that I just feel I was doing my job and don't feel comfortable accepting something which makes it look like I did something heroic when, in my opinion, I didn't. Also, a colleague who died hasn't been offered anything posthumously and that makes me feel really bad. I know his wife very well and he certainly deserved to be offered something (or, at least, she deserves to have him recognised). Mind you, I'm not too sure how posthumous awards work - I should probably find that out! As with anything connected to my time in the forces, I have mixed feelings about it. Very hard to explain and probably sounds daft to most of you.

Thanks though, I'm always willing to listen to the opinion of you lot on here as you give good advice and, personally, my own advice to myself is often wrong!