BBC Panorama: War Crimes Scandal Exposed (18/11/19)

Sent to BBC today

Dear Panorama

BBC Panorama - WAR CRIMES EXPOSED:
Slurring British Military without Proven Evidence

I am an Army Veteran who served on operations in countries from Falklands to Arabia during my 25 years service.

Through watching your tax funded programme last night and reading press and online articles, I am getting increasingly paranoid about it now. I am genuinely apprehensive and worried that you, together with other Political and Establishment figures, are out to criminalize or 'get me' and a lot of my military colleagues.

I am sure I am not alone. One just have to look on military colleagues blogs or Facebook pages to see the enormous amount of fear like mine, that your high profile programme last night generates unnecessary fear for veterans. This site has many such comments:

What I find totally incomprehensible is that it is the British tax funded broadcaster making these unproven slurs on us ex-military. BBC an organisation that my father, ex-World War II, Desert Rat hero, my son ex-Military too and I, have all mandatory had to contribute to since the broadcasting licence inception.

Immediately it came to mind last night watching the programme that if it is our National broadcaster making these unproven slurs, even more people will be thinking bad of those of us who were sent on operations on behalf of the nation.

Those ant-British forces people in politics, religion and naive members of the population who will now be thinking us soldiers are sort of evil and undisciplined, corrupt, acting out some psychopathic fantasies, during our arduous and sometimes distressing duties..

When the reality is entirely the opposite for us who diligently did our sometimes extremely unpleasant, distressing duty with fortitude and courage, hoping our Government decision to send us to war were truthfully and honestly justified for putting us, (including our adversaries), in such dangerous and perilous situations.

There are often split second decisions to be made which can be questionable later: Just look at the dilemma faced by the British soldier who did the mercy killing of a POW whilst I was in Falklands campaign:

I wish to complain officially about your programme last night, as you come across as totally unfit for service dealers in such low grade, unproven slurs on the military.

Yours sincerely,
Remind me, what's the substance of your complaint to the BBC?

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect he's looking for friendly forces and not finding them here.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Sent to BBC today

Dear Panorama

I am an Army Veteran who served on operations in countries from Falklands to Arabia during my 25 years service.

Through watching your tax funded programme last night and reading press and online articles, I am getting increasingly paranoid about it now. I am genuinely apprehensive and worried that you, together with other Political and Establishment figures, are out to criminalize or 'get me' and a lot of my military colleagues.

I am sure I am not alone. One just have to look on military colleagues blogs or Facebook pages to see the enormous amount of fear like mine, that your high profile programme last night generates unnecessary fear for veterans. This site has many such comments:

What I find totally incomprehensible is that it is the British tax funded broadcaster making these unproven slurs on us ex-military. BBC an organisation that my father, ex-World War II, Desert Rat hero, my son ex-Military too and I, have all mandatory had to contribute to since the broadcasting licence inception.

Immediately it came to mind last night watching the programme that if it is our National broadcaster making these unproven slurs, even more people will be thinking bad of those of us who were sent on operations on behalf of the nation.

Those ant-British forces people in politics, religion and naive members of the population who will now be thinking us soldiers are sort of evil and undisciplined, corrupt, acting out some psychopathic fantasies, during our arduous and sometimes distressing duties..

When the reality is entirely the opposite for us who diligently did our sometimes extremely unpleasant, distressing duty with fortitude and courage, hoping our Government decision to send us to war were truthfully and honestly justified for putting us, (including our adversaries), in such dangerous and perilous situations.

There are often split second decisions to be made which can be questionable later: Just look at the dilemma faced by the British soldier who did the mercy killing of a POW whilst I was in Falklands campaign:

I wish to complain officially about your programme last night, as you come across as totally unfit for service dealers in such low grade, unproven slurs on the military.

Yours sincerely,
Who are these Ant People that walk amongst us?

Interestingly and perhaps coincidentally the key witnesses. Frank Ledwidge and Major Chris Green, have a number of Books for sale!

Truxx

LE
Sent to BBC today

Dear Panorama

Yours sincerely,
You forgot to add that Panorama did the same sort of prog back in about 2005, concluded themselves that whilst the case of Baha Moosa was troubling, there was little or no reason to conclude that there was nothing much to see, and even less in terms of actionable evidence.

that said, even Mike Jackson said at the time "but at the end of the day there was a corpse"

Truxx

LE
Interestingly and perhaps coincidentally the key witnesses. Frank Ledwidge and Major Chris Green, have a number of Books for sale!

Read "losing small wars". I got it a few Christmases ago. I thought I was going to hate it.

A dozen pages in and I was cheering the author on.

Remind me, what's the substance of your complaint to the BBC?
Hi , I'd been mulling that over. I didn't see the program, but how often was the origin of that war investigated in the program. Has the Beeb actually conducted an in depth investigative report into Tony Blair? Probably not since the dossier affair- far too sensitive for the Islington elite.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi , I'd been mulling that over. I didn't see the program, but how often was the origin of that war investigated in the program. Has the Beeb actually conducted an in depth investigative report into Tony Blair? Probably not since the dossier affair- far too sensitive for the Islington elite.
According to John Humphrys in his autobiography, the BBC got such a kicking from Campbell et al, resulting in high level resignations and loss of face only eclipsed by the Jimmy Savile debacle, that they've never really recovered their corporate courage. So no, don't expect a BBC - produced searing indictment of Blair's Lies causing untold deaths any time soon.

Misterio

Old-Salt
Watched it the night it was on. Boring i'll scripted drivel.

Smacked of trying to make a story from nothing, they're clutching at straws to bring the armed forces into disrepute., god knows why.

According to John Humphrys in his autobiography, the BBC got such a kicking from Campbell et al, resulting in high level resignations and loss of face only eclipsed by the Jimmy Savile debacle, that they've never really recovered their corporate courage. So no, don't expect a BBC - produced searing indictment of Blair's Lies causing untold deaths any time soon.
I was so infuriated with that when I heard the actual Program-relating to the dodgy dossier, and this is a point to be rammed home at any opportunity- this country did not support Blair's action- we had a million march (allegedly) and we were ignored. I can remember to this day listening to Humphries at 06.00 or thereabouts-and that was followed by Kelly's death. That we should have gone to war on the alleged single sheet of paper that was unsubstantiated. I'd have had more time for May declaring war on the Kremlin.

Jammy66

War Hero
Watched the program and yes if true, some questionable incidents/killings which - if you were on the other side - you'd want persued. That said its just one side of the story.

I don't think anyone should really be surprised that shit happens in combat though, and it's a lot easier forming an opinion of an event after the matter, in comfort and safety and with the benefit of hindsight etc. I wouldn't like to tell the soldier who opened fire that he was wrong, when hesitation could have resulted in a suicide bomb or whatever.

As mentioned above, certainly with regards to Iraq, the real story is why Blair took us to war. The buck should stop with him for anything that happened as a result. No soldiers lives were worth it IMHO.

Let the politicians that put our forces out in Iraq and Afghan take the flak.

Latest Threads