BBC on RIR

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Mr_Fingerz, Mar 19, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Did anyone see Kenneth Brannagh's portrayal of Tim Collins last night on BBC 2 giving "that speech"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/page/item/b009j873.shtml

I thought it was ok, bit unrealistic in some ways, and the soldiers had some of the best shaped Caubeens I have ever seen. :p

3. I cringed watching that programme last night. Not one actual shaped caubeen anywhere in sight. Horribly attempted NI accents.

The hollow square that was formed did not have warriors and CR2's anywhere near us. Wrong WMIKs too. We had a bit more than 30 people in the formation too...

4. Good luck to RIR hope all goes well

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Just read this bit of the article:

Not trying to drop him in it with his mum, but is he over doing the reluctant warrior bit, in so far as being a TA Captain he must surely have had to jump up and down and wave his hand air with vigorous enthusiasm to be mobilised?

Or am I being unfair?

6. The BBC describes the drama thusly....
    I would hardly say Tim Collins speech was "ferocious".

7. Never heard of him tbh :? 8O :? Sounds like he's an Ex-Home Service officer. Bless, his general service operational cherry is about to pop. I know the guys I trained can't wait to get out there and get their teeth into it. Typical officer then: no idea what his lads are thinking...

EDITED FOR CLARITY.

8. because the HS obviously didn't do any operations over the last 30+ years you clown :roll:

9. "Tim's" accent really grated didn't it - you would think they would have listened to the original speech.

10. Very little outside of NI. I should have clarified that.

11. mmm... I fully accept I might have this wrong here- but doesn't caubeen mean "unshapen hat"?

12. It was never recorded so there is nothing to listen too. A reporter wrote it down. Not big kenneths fault.

13. Yeah, but there's a limit to how unshaped it should be. Getting a new one issued and whacking it onto your bonce immediatley does not constitute correct wear. That's what they looked like. :D There's a difference between a well shaped caubeen and a heli LZ pad :D

14. Gaz, a friend of mine is being lined up to write a history of the Royal Irish. He's hoping to blag some time in the 'Stan with them on this tour.

15. Yes true - what I meant is, the exact words were noted down, and we have plenty of sound recordings of Lt Col Tim, so they could have at least got the nuances of the speech correct.