BBC Newsnight Iraq special

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 13, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone else catch this?

Did Jack Straw say in an unguarded moment, we were going to be there for bloody years yet?

2. He said he couln't see us leaving for a few years yet

3. Or until the Iraqi Government said they didn't need us there anymore. Also something about getting a renewal on UN resolutions.

Whichever way it's said, it still sounds like we tell them what to do, as opposed to the other way round. Suppose the Iraqi Government did say after the next election "Get out"?

What then?

Oh, the entire programme is here

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/default.stm

4. tgarden

tgarden RIP

As one of the participants in the programme, I did not hear him give an estimate of when we would be able to leave. He used the standard government formulation of "we shall stay until the job is done", but failed to define the job. He did say that he thought it would take 5 to 10 years to establish democracy. If that is the job, then you could make a deduction about the task length. In any event, that is probably an optimistic assessment based on Balkans experience.

5. Yes, seen m'Lud :)

I was slightly surprised by Aaronovitch actully admitting he was starting to agree with you more and more , and that on reflection , you had invariably been right on your assessments.

Mind you, having read some of DA's earlier pieces, I'm wondering if he himself has had a "sea change" in his outlook.

Deeply concerned with the statements from the Neo-con Jonny though. More aggressive action on Syria and Iran etc etc. Still, I felt Jack Straw dealt quite well with his comments.

6. tgarden

tgarden RIP

Not as surprised as I was!

7. I saw the Aaronovitch character at a small current affairs discussion two years ago. He laughed off my question about the difference between battlefield and strategic chemical weapons and called my missus "naiive" when she challenged him on spin and lies.

If he makes a U turn it will be akin to a supertanker turning round

8. Thought it was quite a good programme. Interested to see DA's view altering though.

9. Watched it, thought Straw looked bloody clueless a lot of the time. Didn't seem to have the first idea about Iraq.

10. Which shouldn't surprise us. This guy hasn't got a phercking clue about anything, let's face it! He's one of the first-line cnuts around Phoney Tony, ain't he?

MsG