BBC News - is it fit for purpose?

Imagine how much tax she'd owe if she'd been paid the same as a man.
Is 'Personal Service Company' the new term of 'Agency'

I've just given up.
"And now over to Munich...... What are we expecting"
"Well" close up of car arriving and a nobody getting out
"That's it" says I to Mr LR "lets walk the bloody dog"

How hard did you have to search for a link that didn't mention Germany?

The 1.5m-long German bomb - which was found in a bed of silt, 15m underwater - was carefully removed from the Thames and placed in a secure location a mile away from the coast of Essex.

WW2 bomb found near airport blown up

The German WW2 bombing campaign tended to focus on strategic locations.

This meant that major UK cities or areas with important features, such as railway junctions or ports, were key targets.

The table below sets out the official records of World War Two bombing in the UK's major towns and cities.

The MoD told BBC Reality Check that around 10% of the bombs dropped over the UK during World War Two did not explode.

The typical German World War Two bomb was either 50kg or 250kg.

Larger bombs (500kg or 1,000kg) become more frequent towards the end of the war.

London City Airport is the site of the fourth 500kg bomb the MoD has dealt with in the last 15 months.

The others were: Bath (May 2016), Portsmouth (September 2016) and London (March 2017).

Reality Check: How common are WW2 unexploded bombs?

"It's not everyday we find a bomb this big, it is one of the larger bombs the Germans dropped."

Airport reopens after WW2 bomb moved
jUst trying to picture where the bomb was found In the Thames next to City Airport. It's in Bloody KGV dock. I give up

Earlier today i watched the BBC news coverage of Brendan Fox's vague sort of apology (the allegedly handsy widower of Saint Jo Cox MP), which was somewhat at odds with the coverage in recent months of other public figures accused of being sexist, predatorial, misogynist or male. Perchance the sympathetic tone might have something to do with him being a Labour celebrity, regularly waving his widower's weeds for the good of the party?

Earlier today i watched the BBC news coverage of Brendan Fox's vague sort of apology (the allegedly handsy widower of Saint Jo Cox MP), which was somewhat at odds with the coverage in recent months of other public figures accused of being sexist, predatorial, misogynist or male. Perchance the sympathetic tone might have something to do with him being a Labour celebrity, regularly waving his widower's weeds for the good of the party?
AL1. Insert 'white' before male line 3.

The BBC never gives up on the things which matter (to them). The news yesterday had to include the usual edition of the Grenfell Towers saga.

It's almost getting to be fun trying to find a BBC news which does not contain reference to the Grenfell Towers.

The BBC never gives up on the things which matter (to them). The news yesterday had to include the usual edition of the Grenfell Towers saga.

It's almost getting to be fun trying to find a BBC news which does not contain reference to the Grenfell Towers.
Perhaps they are trying to emulate the illustrious Month Python crew, when they made every news item mention parrots, e.g.:

"No parrots were involved in an accident on the M-1 today when a Lorry carrying High-octane fuel was in collison with a bollard. That's a BOLLARD and *NOT* a PARROT. A spokesman for parrots said he was glad no parrots were involved."

Anyone else wondering why Derby University only recruits black students? Laura Kuenssberg trying to deny her South African roots or the BBC trying to make 12% equal 100%? Either way I am sure they could have fiund a white, asian or red indian to interview in the great University fees whingefest broadcast at 6 o'clock.

No mention of increased fees being wasted on accommodation blocks and vice chancellor fees as teaching staff and serious science and engineering courses are slashed either.

R4 tonight, talking about the Tories' reforms of student loans. No mention that these were introduced under Labour. Mention instead that the Tories had failed to find a voice with younger voters to match Corbyn's promise to abolish fees. No mention that when called out on said promise, he'd effectively denied having made it. So, a since-dismissed 'aspiration' was presented as Labour policy, and the Tories were effectively castigated for the student loans situation ad still failing to connect in anything like the way Labour has/is.

Bias, you say?

R4 tonight, talking about the Tories' reforms of student loans. No mention that these were introduced under Labour.
Campaign TV Their early evening tv news didn't make any mention of that significant fact either. Every day that passes, the BBC makes its political leanings more and more obvious.

Last edited:
No mention of increased fees being wasted on accommodation blocks and vice chancellor fees.
My bold. Oh yes. Why on earth is the massive increase in wages for these ‘worthy people’ and its connection to the introduction of £9k per annum student fees not being investigated and pulled apart?
Another gravy train for the gilded elite and yet not a squeak from our Lords and Masters. Global market rates my arse!

My bold. Oh yes. Why on earth is the massive increase in wages for these ‘worthy people’ and its connection to the introduction of £9k per annum student fees not being investigated and pulled apart?
Another gravy train for the gilded elite and yet not a squeak from our Lords and Masters. Global market rates my arse!
Useful jobs for MPs who lose their seats. Nothing to see here. Move along now please.

Wot , you mean having failed, they teach? Mother of good- that'd have the few good teachers fuming
Vice-Chancellors teach? That's a new one!

In the main, those MPs who go on to be Vice Chancellors or similar tend to be few in number - there are more ex-MPs who hold honorific posts (e.g. Chris Patten as Chancellor of Oxford), but the majority are academics who've gone over to the dark side/had the sense to realise that admin is better remunerated [delete according to point of view].

Wot , you mean having failed, they teach? Mother of good- that'd have the few good teachers fuming
I don't think chancellors and vice chancellors teach. They are figureheads and administrators. And there aren't any lecturers left to fume as they have been sacked to cut staff costs and their departments closed to cut running costs.

I don't think chancellors and vice chancellors teach. They are figureheads and administrators. And there aren't any lecturers left to fume as they have been sacked to cut staff costs and their departments closed to cut running costs.
I suspect that the world will still turn if (Heaven forfend!) the Head of Interpretive Dance at Buttfuck College found his/herself spending more time with the family.