BBC News - is it fit for purpose?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
The answer is quite simple, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Better the way it is than SNP wanting control over all media output.
How about I stop paying for it if I stop watching it.

Reference the BBC, today was classic.

Headlines that world financiers predict global meltdown if the UK leaves the EU. Then interview with said world financier. Then George Osborne predicting (yawn) global meltdown if the UK leaves the EU. At this point I was about to change channels, but I thought I'd wait and see if there was any alternative view presented for balance... And there was. A token and grudging 10 seconds (really, just 10 seconds) of Farage being ear'oled on his doorstep.

So, three fairly detailed cases for 'stay in' and one, very brief case for 'leave'.

Why do I suspect that if the financiers had said the opposite, it somehow wouldn't make the lead story?
The BBC gets hammered from all directions by moon howlers.

The BBC is anti Scottish because it questioned SNP fabricated lies during the referendum debate.

It's pro Israeli if you're pro Palestinian.

It's pro Palestinian if you're pro Israeli.

It's pro left wing if you're right wing.

It's pro right wing if you're left wing.

It's pro EU if you're anti EU.

It's anti EU if you're pro EU.

It's a news service that gives balanced opinion pieces.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Why are the BBC so obsessed with events that have no effect or benefit to Britain?

The American elections for example.
I am forever saying the words 'whats that got to do with Britain' when the goverment mouth pieces roll the stories out.
That is just the attitude that the BBC plays up to. We should hear about events outside the UK if for nothing else than to remind us that there are other countries out there. How often on these forums do you see a comments being made, just to be countered by someone who actually lives in the area concerned?

We are such an insular country and that is pandered to by the media by keeping it that way.

The BBC is anti Scottish because it questioned SNP fabricated lies during the referendum debate.

It's pro Israeli if you're pro Palestinian.

It's pro Palestinian if you're pro Israeli.

It's pro left wing if you're right wing.

It's pro right wing if you're left wing.

It's pro EU if you're anti EU.

It's anti EU if you're pro EU.

Exactly...
This is precisely what I encounter when I'm wearing a BBC pass. They don't always get it right but on the whole BBC News is a superlative news gathering operation.

I'm not biased - as a freelancer I also work for Sky, ITN and I used to work for Aljazeera..

Awol

LE

Did you actually read what I wrote?

Tell me how, in your world, are three mouthpieces for 'in', balanced by one, very short mouthpiece for 'out'.

And that is on a subject where you would think they are walking on eggshells to avoid accusations of bias.

That is just the attitude that the BBC plays up to. We should hear about events outside the UK if for nothing else than to remind us that there are other countries out there. How often on these forums do you see a comments being made, just to be countered by someone who actually lives in the area concerned?

We are such an insular country and that is pandered to by the media by keeping it that way.
Last year I traveled for the BBC to around 9 countries to cover various foreign stories...

We do. (And you are right about being insular. I shake my head often about how insular Scotland has become recently)

But here you go. Here's the news that the BBC doesn't report on, but does actually.

Africa - BBC News

Asia - BBC News

Australia - BBC News

Europe - BBC News

Latin America & Caribbean - BBC News

Middle East - BBC News

US & Canada - BBC News

Last year I traveled for the BBC to around 9 countries to cover various foreign stories...
AY is an SNP supporter.

There's a big drive from the SNP to control media. Therefore they'll manufacture a grievance .

Rather worryingly that certain parts of the U.K. Seem to be embracing political strategies last seen in the 30s.

Beeb news is better than ITN and worse than C4 IMHO.

But it has become populist and (worse still) a bit self-centred. Somehow the BBC thinks that it, itself is newsworthy. So when some DJ does or doesn't have a spat with the BBC, when a broadcaster or presenter retires, when a new Head of Some Department is announced, hey presto! the app or bulletin comes alive and thinks I give a shit.

I don't. I want the news, not the in-house journal of the BBC.
That just about sums up my view too. I prefer the BBC news in the morning with my breakfast - the commercial News channels at that time of day (particularly ITV) are completely unbearable and that's before taking the adverts into account.
The BBC news Dept is however, self-centred and the producers seem to think the average viewer gives a shit about the personal lives of their news team. I don't - just present the news in a professional manner and cut out the childish 'matiness' which pervades the programme nowadays.
Last week, they sent Bill Turnbull on a 4 day farewell tour before dominating his final day (Friday) with regular updates of how Carol the large breasted weather girl was going to burst into tears before the end of the programme, because 'dear old Bill' was leaving.
Cut out the crap please!

But leave Carol in the programme!! :smile:

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
How many involved Brits?

Exactly...
This is precisely what I encounter when I'm wearing a BBC pass. They don't always get it right but on the whole BBC News is a superlative news gathering operation.

I'm not biased - as a freelancer I also work for Sky, ITN and I used to work for Aljazeera..
I think quite a few of the alleged worldly wise public need to spend some time abroad.

The BBC is seen as a bastion of unbiased news reporting. You can tell that by the amount of its reporters who get banned from certain country's and attempts to stop it covering other story's.

You'll be aware of these muppets?

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13167819.Pro_independence_campaigners_protest_outside_BBC_studios/

The bbc's crime? It dared question the SNPs white paper in the run up the the referendum and highlighted it was made up b*ll*cks.

That's why auld Yin doesn't like the BBC. The SNP has a push on at the moment to get the Scottish government involved in what it reports.

That just about sums up my view too. I prefer the BBC news in the morning with my breakfast - the commercial News channels at that time of day (particularly ITV) are completely unbearable and that's before taking the adverts into account.
The BBC news Dept is however, self-centred and the producers seem to think the average viewer gives a shit about the personal lives of their news team. I don't - just present the news in a professional manner and cut out the childish 'matiness' which pervades the programme nowadays.
Last week, they sent Bill Turnbull on a 4 day farewell tour before dominating his final day (Friday) with regular updates of how Carol the large breasted weather girl was going to burst into tears before the end of the programme, because 'dear old Bill' was leaving.
Cut out the crap please!

But leave Carol in the programme!! :smile:
This Carol? She's lovely to work with...
IMG_0588.jpg

How many involved Brits?
If you bothered looking at the bbc news websites or BBC world, you'd realise not many.

Do you think the SNPs proposal would improve things?

What is the impact of Bolivias presidential election on Cumbernaulds SNP branch membership? We'll have Joan McAlpine along after this news story to tell us how it's all Westminsters fault.

Last edited:

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you bothered looking at the bbc news websites or BBC world, you'd realise not many.

Do you think the SNPs proposal would improve things?

What is the impact of Bolivias presidential election on Cumbernaulds SNP branch membership? We'll have Joan McAlpine along after this news story to tell us how it's all Westminsters fault.
You're getting a wee bit repetitive are you not? Just the one post on your cloying paranoia would have sufficed.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I think quite a few of the alleged worldly wise public need to spend some time abroad.

The BBC is seen as a bastion of unbiased news reporting. You can tell that by the amount of its reporters who get banned from certain country's and attempts to stop it covering other story's.

You'll be aware of these muppets?

http://m.heraldscotland.com/news/13167819.Pro_independence_campaigners_protest_outside_BBC_studios/

The bbc's crime? It dared question the SNPs white paper in the run up the the referendum and highlighted it was made up b*ll*cks.

That's why auld Yin doesn't like the BBC. The SNP has a push on at the moment to get the Scottish government involved in what it reports.
Why don't you feck off and keep your anti SNP comments to the Scottish Politics Thread!

Sorry, beaten to it by Sixty!

I never watch the BBC TV news, and now rarely listen to the Radio 4 news, this is mainly because about 40% of the news feed is BBC promoting its own Political/Current affairs investigations which are scheduled to run as programmes (Panorama et al) later or the next day and pumping a very one sided news item about it.

News should be balanced and apolitical, unfortunately the BBC appears to be unwilling or incapable of achieving this.

You're getting a wee bit repetitive are you not? Just the one post on your cloying paranoia would have sufficed.
I don't think highlighting the fact that a political party and some of its supporters advocating the governmental control of media as paranoid.

You're an SNP supporter aren't you sixty?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
a political party and some of its supporters advocating the governmental control of media
Proof?*

Word to the wise, stating that the Scottish news might perhaps be aimed at stories affecting Scotland rather than the current state of BBC News reports whereby it's only in the last minute that a law/issue only applies in England and Wales is mentioned does not equate to 'governmental control of media'.

*Or are you just making pish up?

Latest Threads