BBC News - is it fit for purpose?

S

Spider39

No

Tony Blackburn apparently said that they "asked him to resign" so that apparently they could reemploy him in the future today ,tells us all we need to know about this vile state broadcasting holeyer than thou organization perhaps the only state broadcaster on earth that can potentially put people in jail for not buying their licence and therefore paying the wages of their public school/nepotistical employees ,the words to me that springs to mind is "wheeling's and dealings" .

I hope Blackburn sues the arrse off of it .

I watch BBC news primarily but I have to admit, I see the news and mainly form opinions by much of the debate I read on arrse. I'm struggling to maintain my Swedish so look at a few of their news outlets as well, and then a few German ones. There is a massive contrast between all of them in their reporting style. I think F24 and Rtoday are the most unbiased but I don't tend to watch those as they report on many things that I don't find relevant to me.

Note: I used to have a good command of Swedish and I've been trying to teach myself German for years.

WTF is the Bullshit icon!

Answer me this, we are now in a referendum about withdrawing from the EU - how much coverage are we getting from/about the countries we are discussing divorcing from or becoming even more involved with? Virtually none, except the occasional quote from a Leader of one of the countries who takes a few seconds out of his/her life to consider the UK!
Stop watching it. I have. I feel no less wiser for it either.
The internet is a far better source of 'real' news. You can always find reports, in English sometimes even, from a source close or local to any disaster/action.
The BBC, in my experience, is a tool of whatever government is in power. After that, its all about itself, as pointed out several times already.

I stopped paying my licence fee some years ago too, seeing as the TV is not used for live broadcasts any more. That hasn't stopped them hassling me every bloody week though, (it feels like) for payment, despite filling in a declaration. They even dress up their letters to look like official court documents. 'This is what will happen in court' and stuff.
Fukc em. Like buggery they are going to reserve the right to search my home for a tv receiver when they have already been told....
Pity the next one to knock at my door. Grrr.. I could squish a Wren's egg.

slick

LE
I haven`t watched BBC news for a good while now. Their journalism skills are absolutely atrocious, given that all good journalists have to do is report the facts not try and push their own views or agenda. Some of their 'on the spot' reporters have an annoying tendency to waffle instead of speak concisely....but at least they haven`t got that **** Kay Burley. Every time Sky wheels her out I find it hard not to throw things at the screen.
I agree that the BBC 'world view' is extremely limited, there used to be a Euronews channel which was superb, no reporters just a voice over stating how, what, why, where, and when. Unfortunately you had to speak French to understand it. These days I`ll stick to France24.

S

Spider39

I watch BBC news primarily but I have to admit, I see the news and mainly form opinions by much of the debate I read on arrse. I'm struggling to maintain my Swedish so look at a few of their news outlets as well, and then a few German ones. There is a massive contrast between all of them in their reporting style. I think F24 and Rtoday are the most unbiased but I don't tend to watch those as they report on many things that I don't find relevant to me.

Note: I used to have a good command of Swedish and I've been trying to teach myself German for years.

They make probable the best documentary's on TV but imho their news has such a left wing biase it has become dubious, its certainly hardly impartial ,for instance its stance on Assad and immigration ,it is perhaps fair to say they might not be alone but the difference is we have NO choice but to pay for them .

So if you do not watch their docs and you do not like their News that pretty much leaves wall to wall Cash in the Attic and Bargain Hunt ,[or of course increasing amounts women's sport to fill its airtime .]

Tyk

LE
The BBC lost any pretence of impartiality and being an honest news reporter many years ago, it's a mouthpiece for a variety of agendas and vested interests.

I've not paid the BBC extortion tax for some years and had plenty of hassle from their enforcers, fortunately they've no idea how to cope when the person they attempt to strongarm has done a little research and won't be intimidated.

Troy

LE
The primary reason for watching the BBC news is people watching that channel before the news comes on and they can't be bothered to turn over to the over side...

If people can be bothered there are load of other news channels to pick from. I think people should mix it up a bit, and get a wider perspective of what's going on in the world.

I recall an article a couple of weeks back on the BBC announcing how Russia has had so much more of an impact in Syria compared to the western military invervention. Amusingly there was not a single reference to Russia bombing indiscriminately until another article a few days later declaring how Russia is causing many civilian casualties. Strange strange people at the BBC.

If you want to howl at the moon with regard to BBC news try listening to a radio one news show.

I despair for the future if the yoof are being spoon fed so much simplistic agenda driven drivel

cam net

Old-Salt
Why are the BBC so obsessed with events that have no effect or benefit to Britain?

The American elections for example.
I am forever saying the words 'whats that got to do with Britain' when the goverment mouth pieces roll the stories out.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I stopped listening to R1 years ago. With them if it happens outside London it is of no interest. They used to make such a big thing of their road shows one would think they were going to Darkest jungle!

If you want incisive reporting, Al Jazeera of France 24.
Aljazeera have some serious issues. Their coverage in Egypt was woefully biased towards the Muslim Brotherhood.

I mentioned this on another thread but I feel that we are not best served by the BBC and it's news service.

The BBC on the other hand rarely step out of their comfort zone. How often do we hear pieces from the Far East, Australasia, sub-Saharan Africa, .
Would that be because you're An SNP supporter? And as we know, the SNP and its supporters don't like the BBC or any other form of media because it rather annoyingly questions the blatant lies that the SNP spout.

That's why the SNP have been desperately trying to get Holyrood control over all forms of media. Something I find rather scarey.

If you want to hear pieces from other parts of the world may I recommend you stop watching BBC Scotland and start watching BBC world.

It will be a sad day for democracy if the SNP start taking control of the media as we all know they like to fabricate grievances and hope the electorate don't bother questioning them.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
Aljazeera have some serious issues. Their coverage in Egypt was woefully biased towards the Muslim Brotherhood.
Have to agree with you there, but not quite as bad as Orla Guerin she should be the official press officer for Hamas.

I don't know how many times I have had to recount this...

Whilst working for the BBC during the run up to the election I found myself within a crowd of people awaiting the arrival of one of the prime candidates. I was wearing a BBC pass and inevitably comments were made regarding the BBC biased reporting. However, it became clear that some thought the bias was in favour and some in favour of the Tories.

I stopped listening to R1 years ago. With them if it happens outside London it is of no interest. They used to make such a big thing of their road shows one would think they were going to Darkest jungle!
I think anybody over the age of 22 has stopped listening to Radio 1. It's not a news channel. It's a popular music channel targeting youth.

Out of interest, do you go on the BBC news website?

There's entire sections devoted to different parts of the world commonly known as continents.

The answer is quite simple, if you don't like it, don't watch it. Better the way it is than SNP wanting control over all media output.

Awol

LE
Reference the BBC, today was classic.

Headlines that world financiers predict global meltdown if the UK leaves the EU. Then interview with said world financier. Then George Osborne predicting (yawn) global meltdown if the UK leaves the EU. At this point I was about to change channels, but I thought I'd wait and see if there was any alternative view presented for balance... And there was. A token and grudging 10 seconds (really, just 10 seconds) of Farage being ear'oled on his doorstep.

So, three fairly detailed cases for 'stay in' and one, very brief case for 'leave'.

Why do I suspect that if the financiers had said the opposite, it somehow wouldn't make the lead story?

Latest Threads