BBC News - is it fit for purpose?

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I mentioned this on another thread but I feel that we are not best served by the BBC and it's news service.

I feel that it is too insular and only covers issues in UK or very often USA. It only covers overseas issues if they are disasters, wars or involve some Z List Brit "Celeb"

Looking at other outlets such as France2424, RT or Al Jazeera they give a much wider view of the world as they are it so when a situation arises overseas the viewers are prepared and understand the background to the issues.

The BBC on the other hand rarely step out of their comfort zone. How often do we hear pieces from the Far East, Australasia, sub-Saharan Africa, S America? I realise there are documentary programmes such as Panorama but really they generally follow the news pathway and stay in the BBC comfort zone, there are exceptions.

I hope we have a genuine discussion here, but I have put it in the Int Cell to allow some leeway. I contend that BBC News needs a huge overhaul as currently this is adding to the xenophobia of the UK purely because we don't know what is happening in the wider world.

Beeb news is better than ITN and worse than C4 IMHO.

But it has become populist and (worse still) a bit self-centred. Somehow the BBC thinks that it, itself is newsworthy. So when some DJ does or doesn't have a spat with the BBC, when a broadcaster or presenter retires, when a new Head of Some Department is announced, hey presto! the app or bulletin comes alive and thinks I give a shit.

I don't. I want the news, not the in-house journal of the BBC.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
^ ^A good example of that is today's midday news which spent more time on Mr T Blackburn being sacked by the BBC than on the election taking place in Eire. Which of these two events is more important and possibly affect the UK, especially if G Adams ends up in a coalition? Apparently the Beeb thinks a sad old DJ is more important!

I think the BBC has got less biased over the past few years. I used to be a regular contributor to Biased BBC website but now my blood boils far less although Orla Guerin still gets to me. I think this is partly due to a generational change in the news producers (I knew a few radio ones), the older ones have had families so have loosened their left wing ideals and the younger ones are more career orientated than radical.

I have to agree about the foreign coverage though. It always appears to be in a state of crisis management, so a huge team suddenly turns up to wherever the unhappy event is and after blanket coverage for a while we hear no more.

D

Deleted 20555

You could ask whether the BBC itself is fit for purpose - it's main purpose to me it seems is pushing the political views of those that work there.

They are accountable to no-one and have the budget of a small country - paid through a tax they enforce with criminal proceedings against law abiding people.

Everyone should cancel their licences and ensure that their tv sets cannot receive a signal - I have and you miss nothing.

The BBC has a massive hardon when it comes to police shootings in the US, ever since that thuggish kid was shot after reaching for an officers gun then subsequently charging at the office after a brief chase they have simply referred to him as "an unarmed black man". Never mind the fact that he was a criminal who had just assaulted someone working in a shop, then reached for a police officers gun and assaulted the officer. Never mind the forensics at the scene backed the officer and his decision to use his weapon. He was an "unarmed black man".

There's only one reason I watch the BBC... with the volume turned down preferably, so I don't have to listen to the politically-correct drivel that spouts forth.

The BBC bias is still existent IMO. The other day a QC was wheeled out to state how Gove was wrong on the new "Special deals" with the EU and how they could renege on them. It was excruciating to watch as the QC, so careful in his choosing of words, managed about 1 word every 5 seconds (I jest not).

Various other threads on here have linked to Galloway etc stating valid reasons to leave the EU. I have yet to see any BBC airtime given to the Brexit campaigners - unless it's directing opposition to them.
The POTUS elections appear to be causing increasing concern for the BBC as they scrape away trying to find different angles to report on Trump and his victories.

Reporting on an airstrike on ISIS the other day, ITV stated that terrorists had been 'killed', whereas on the BBC they had 'died in the attack' - presumably from shock.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
BBC News focus's on the English speaking World because it's an English language channel, France24 focus's on the French speaking world as its a French language channel (yes it has an English Channel but the producers and editors are French). Likewise Al Jazeera focus's on the Arabic speaking world as its an Arabic channel whereas channels like RT make programming which supports their sponsors/owners and attack their opponents. @Auld-Yin is trying to push his view that Scotland should become more parochial and narrow minded by supporting the view that the BBC 6 National and International News should be replaced by an hour long Scottish News programme. Obviously this agenda was proposed and is being heavily pushed by the SNP.

Last edited:
BBC, appears to be the broadcast arm of the guardian. Partly due to the number ex guardian staff and contributors.

It certainly doesn't represent public opinion as measured by opinion polling.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
BBC News focus's on the English speaking World because it's an English language channel, France24 focus's on the French speaking world as its a French language channel (yes it has an English Channel but the producers and editors are French). Likewise Al Jazeera focus's on the Arabic speaking world as its an Arabic channel whereas channels like RT make programming which supports their sponsors/owners and attack their opponents. @Auld-Yin is trying to push his view that Scotland should become more parochial and narrow minded by supporting the view that the BBC 6 National and International News should be replaced by an hour long Scottish News programme. Obviously this agenda was proposed and is being heavily pushed y the SNP.
WTF is the Bullshit icon!

Answer me this, we are now in a referendum about withdrawing from the EU - how much coverage are we getting from/about the countries we are discussing divorcing from or becoming even more involved with? Virtually none, except the occasional quote from a Leader of one of the countries who takes a few seconds out of his/her life to consider the UK!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well, that just about explains everything! Its charter should be revoked immediately.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
I challenge anyone to discover an unbiased media source, you'll have more luck finding pink gay unicorn poo.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I challenge anyone to discover an unbiased media source, you'll have more luck finding pink gay unicorn poo.
But the BBC are paid with taxpayers* money so should be unbiased, or at least have a better sense of balance!

* OK licence fee, but it is as much a tax as others.

BBC News 24 has rolled out loads of people giving their views on the in or the out. Carswell had quite a long slot the other day and Farae pops up quite a lot, today for example to rebut the G20 view that the global economy would suffer on Brexit.
The Irish Election has a 2 hour slot today. BBC Parliament (yeah, yeah) has the Northern Ireland assembly meeting for a few hours followed by the Welsh assembly meeting for a couple of hours. BBC Scotland does the Scottish one.
BBC News itself is far preferable to the ITV one which doesn't seem to know what a story is and what is just popular claptrap (hence 9 minutes on the referendum and 14 minutes on some luvvie awards pat on the back story).
There's always the World Service, of course.

.I have to agree about the foreign coverage though. It always appears to be in a state of crisis management, so a huge team suddenly turns up to wherever the unhappy event is and after blanket coverage for a while we hear no more.
This is a theme that has been apparent in most media outlets, not just the BBC for several years. It's why most western outlets are now opinion pieces or a rewriting of an AP or Reuter ticket tape.

Theme was noted 6 years ago.
The decline of the foreign correspondent

Unsurprisingly quality and quantity of expensive coverage falls rapidly when funding is consistently cut, sometimes to the tune of 25% a year. The Gov has now realised this is a self defeating and ultimately short sighted tactic and acknowledged the use of BBC soft power and this year promised to increase funding for the World Service for the first time in almost a decade.

Latest Threads