BBC Licence fee hypocrisy?

It’s a “reality” TV show where a bunch of hot young men and women go to a villa to flirt and “find love/fame”. The men are meant to be shaped like Greek gods whilst the girls try to pull their thong as far up their arrse as possible. Only watch it cause it can be funny and better than what’s normally on
REality TV - I'd rather eat a turdburger. Although there isn't much difference between them.

Speaking as a member of the younger generation no one watches TV. No one just turns it on to flick through channels. Now you watch YouTube or Netflix, if you want to watch a TV show you just get it on catchup. The only show that people watch on TV at the moment is Love Island apart from that nothing else is watched on TV
I am 48 but no TV here. I follow some people on YouTube (History/Gaming) and support a few content creators there on Patreon. It seems fair to support those whose content I watch a lot and is a use for my former licence fee.
I see TV at friends'/family houses but nowt is ever on.
I saw a C4 programme about Cardiff, presented byAlice Roberts recently. She was cute but the programme was shockingly shallow.

I fail to be outraged by this.
Many over 75s have kept their life in order and have a reasonable pension, and if lucky are better off with good investments, have paid their mortgages etc and can afford to pay £154 a year
Others cannot.

One line of outrage is that the poorest pensioners will lose out because they don’t claim the pension credits that they are entitled to.
The issue therefore is that we should not be outraged that in a years time they will pay £154 that they shouldn’t pay ..... but they should be provided the support to get the pension credits that they are entitled to

Elsewhere there are other household members who benefit from the free entitlement of the pensioner. They should make a contribution

It’s a “reality” TV show where a bunch of hot young men and women go to a villa to flirt and “find love/fame”. The men are meant to be shaped like Greek gods whilst the girls try to pull their thong as far up their arrse as possible. Only watch it cause it can be funny and better than what’s normally on
Then they go away and top themselves..

Yep once they realise that the fame they get is short term and doesn’t hold up in the real world, only 1 or two of the relationships last outside the villa as well
Never seen it but I believe you

I fail to be outraged by this.
Many over 75s have kept their life in order and have a reasonable pension, and if lucky are better off with good investments, have paid their mortgages etc and can afford to pay £154 a year
Others cannot.

One line of outrage is that the poorest pensioners will lose out because they don’t claim the pension credits that they are entitled to.
The issue therefore is that we should not be outraged that in a years time they will pay £154 that they shouldn’t pay ..... but they should be provided the support to get the pension credits that they are entitled to

Elsewhere there are other household members who benefit from the free entitlement of the pensioner. They should make a contribution
There are thousands of pensioners that are just above the pension credit limit, that can't afford
the TV licence, that's the problem

They still do. Politically Correct, diverse ‘intervals’ involving a wide range of worthy, but often bizarre and random interest groups, including Indian dancers, kayakers, wheelchair netball players, ramblers, river swimmers, Mountain Rescue, you name it! I want the swimming Hippos back! :smile:
I liked the balloon
bbc1scotlandbig.jpg

Last edited:
There are thousands of pensioners that are just above the pension credit limit, that can't afford
Not just pensioners

The BBC, has a budget of 3.7 billion per year. How is it possible to have that much income, yet provide virtually nothing new, original or worth watching. It takes real skill to take that amount of money and convert it into shite.

The pension credit limit is £167.25 a week minimum income, the current licence is £154.50 a year.
That’s £8697 per year of minimum income or £3 a week on a TV licence
However for a pay weekly arrangement they do want £6 a week to pay it in 6 months

There will always be people who miss out on thresholds. Those will have £161.25 left for their commited outgoings or have to not spend £6 a week on something else (for 6 months).
They could not pay, but despite the popular social media memes saying that they only risk going to prison to live for free - that doesn’t take into account that they are the people who will worry over all the red letters etc

What did pensioners do in 1999 before the free TV licence existed?

The pension credit limit is £167.25 a week minimum income, the current licence is £154.50 a year.
That’s £8697 per year of minimum income or £3 a week on a TV licence
However for a pay weekly arrangement they do want £6 a week to pay it in 6 months
You can pay by direct debit at £12.83 a month.

And not only on this. Gloria Hunniford Gloria Hunniford - Wikipedia a former Al Beeb presenter now approaching 80, was interviewed yesterday and who highlighted the difference in approach between the TV tax and other allowances available to pensioners.

The premise is that tax breaks such as heating allowances and bus passes are given wholesale on the grounds that it is too difficult, bureaucracy wise, to differentiate between those who need the advantage and those who do not. Therefore Gloria receives these allowances without even being able to opt out as she so wishes. On the other hand, the Beeb tax is means tested and more than that is only available to recipients of pension tax credit, an enormously bureaucratic government clusterf@ck in itself. This arrangement keeps legions of otherwise superfluous pen pushers and bean counters in wages and pensions and who reluctantly grant the free licence to those with the capacity to know a) that it exists, b) that they qualify for it and c) then go and apply for it.

Taken to its logical conclusion, how long will it be before even the unborn and the undead will have to pay the Beeb tax to watch Jo Brand, Graham Norton, an extremity-deficient weather girl and some poor sod on Country File pushing his wheelchair over a ploughed field?

OZ
That last paragraph is priceless!

The BBC, has a budget of 3.7 billion per year. How is it possible to have that much income, yet provide virtually nothing new, original or worth watching. It takes real skill to take that amount of money and convert it into shite.

Linneker
Kuennsberg
Gracey (look at me, I'm underpaid)
Edwards
Whjne Vine
Winkleman

Think of the pensions, expenses etc., some ones got to pay

Linneker
Kuennsberg
Gracey (look at me, I'm underpaid)
Edwards
Whjne Vine