BBC Licence fee hypocrisy?

There are many pensioners (including me), who can afford the 'licence' fee, there are many who cannot - much the same as the rest of the population. Seeing as how (I have a place in France), I don't have to pay anything abroad, it seems a mite unfair that us Englanders have to pay for foreigners to watch BBC dross for free. Make the BBC start a subscription service for everyone (foreigners as well, you cheapskating frogs in particular) then whoever wants it can pay or not. I object to having to pay with no choice in the matter. I honestly believe (and sincerely hope) that the BBC have shot themselves in the foot with this one.

It occurs that if the penalty for not paying is a trip to the nick then all these pensioners should refuse to pay and get jailed - free accommodation, free heating, free meals, free care, no loneliness problems and - and here's the kicker - free TV!

Well, free to them anyway.

They appear to have given up all pretence of even trying to appear impartial and balanced since the referendum was announced.
And not only on this. Gloria Hunniford Gloria Hunniford - Wikipedia a former Al Beeb presenter now approaching 80, was interviewed yesterday and who highlighted the difference in approach between the TV tax and other allowances available to pensioners.

The premise is that tax breaks such as heating allowances and bus passes are given wholesale on the grounds that it is too difficult, bureaucracy wise, to differentiate between those who need the advantage and those who do not. Therefore Gloria receives these allowances without even being able to opt out as she so wishes. On the other hand, the Beeb tax is means tested and more than that is only available to recipients of pension tax credit, an enormously bureaucratic government clusterf@ck in itself. This arrangement keeps legions of otherwise superfluous pen pushers and bean counters in wages and pensions and who reluctantly grant the free licence to those with the capacity to know a) that it exists, b) that they qualify for it and c) then go and apply for it.

Taken to its logical conclusion, how long will it be before even the unborn and the undead will have to pay the Beeb tax to watch Jo Brand, Graham Norton, an extremity-deficient weather girl and some poor sod on Country File pushing his wheelchair over a ploughed field?

OZ

I tend to see this as a sort of political version of liar dice.. This particular round being started by Broon who managed to pass on a bag of nails as a royal flush.. giving away a huge amount of potential BBC income at almost no cost to himself, but grabbing all the kudos and allowing the politicians to bask in a warm glow for years to come for being nice to the crinklies..

This is really a form of Political Ponzi scheming where the instigators of a con can grab a load of credit up front and leave the cr@p to fall at some point in the future. It's a cheap trick and we should not have a system that allows it to happen.

I might be wrong, but the latest announcement of the UK Zero Carbon plan stinks of the same class of con!

More like lying, thieving barstewards.

The over 75''s do not get free licences, they are Government funded.
From 2020 the cost was to have been borne entirely by the BBC.

If the BBC was to drop its active agendas of bias and politicking, it would likely be able to afford to fund the free licences for the elderly.

For my money, the licence fee should be scrapped in its entirety and the BBC should be forced to compete with other broadcasters on a level playing field. As a voluntary subscription service it would fail abysmally. As a commercial station it would likely fail.

The BBC... a bit like being made to pay a licence fee to prop Debenhams up even if you never shop there... and breathe

I get annoyed that the focus is on over 75's. I think there are probably more under 35's struggling to pay bills & put a roof over their heads that could do with a discount on it.

The BBC needs to move into the 21st century & either start showing commercials (it does already, just for BBC programs & products) or move to a subscription based service.

That way it'd actually have to deliver according to demand & all those that loved it could continue to watch it.

Don't get me wrong, it does some good programs, but I find that so do Netflix & Amazon - with no adverts in the middle. While the other stations do some bloody good stuff too - the ads are convenient to nip off to the loo or make a brew.

D

Don't get me wrong, it does some good programs, but I find that so do Netflix & Amazon - with no adverts in the middle. While the other stations do some bloody good stuff too - the ads are convenient to nip off to the loo or make a brew.

D
The Beeb used to recognise the need for such breaks by having "intervals". Petter's wheel, horses ploughing etc.

British Biased Corporation.
Not liked by Cliff Richard & Pensioners Over 75
Only decent TV program is HIGNFY & on radio 4 Extra and TMS.

All sport lost apart from Wimbledon & Rugby (played up north only) League

The Beeb used to recognise the need for such breaks by having "intervals". Petter's wheel, horses ploughing etc.
They still do. Politically Correct, diverse ‘intervals’ involving a wide range of worthy, but often bizarre and random interest groups, including Indian dancers, kayakers, wheelchair netball players, ramblers, river swimmers, Mountain Rescue, you name it! I want the swimming Hippos back! :smile:

No one had a telly in 1944 .

20,000 people did, the service shut down when war started, transmissions were from Alexandra palace in north london. The Germans had a service in operation all through the war, only difference was that the receiving sets were in local town and village halls, and military field hospitals. Goebbels used it for propaganda transmissions.

Last edited:
They still do. Politically Correct, diverse ‘intervals’ involving a wide range of worthy, but often bizarre and random interest groups, including Indian dancers, kayakers, wheelchair netball players, ramblers, river swimmers, Mountain Rescue, you name it! I want the swimming Hippos back! :smile:
Be careful what you wish for, you might end up with Dianne Abbott swimming