BBC Licence fee hypocrisy?

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt
Is it me? Watching the way the BBC gushed over the D Day 75 commemorations, and then have announced that they will now force the same veterans to stump up the licence fee to continue to fund their inflated salaries a bit hypocritical?

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It's you.

It's not only you but you have set the dogs off. Have a bloody shower man.

NSP

LE
I increasingly find that reality and the BBC are out of step these days.
They appear to have given up all pretence of even trying to appear impartial and balanced since the referendum was announced.

Also, if Balen found no evidence of bias then they'd be falling over themselves to put his report into the public domain instead of spending a shit-tonne of our licence fees on lawyers to keep it suppressed.

No one had a telly in 1944 .
Not so. Not many could afford television sets but there were some. No one watched telly 1944. Broadcasts ceased in 1939 an started again in 1946. This article is ten years old so the telly described must be 83 by now. Television from 1936 Is Britain's oldest set

"It has a 12-inch screen and is estimated to have been manufactured around November 1936, the same month as the BBC television service from Alexandra Palace was first broadcast.
When new, it cost 60 Guineas, the equivalent of around £11,000 today.
Broadcasts it is likely to have screened include King George VI's Coronation Procession in 1937, the 1948 London Olympic Games and the Queen's Coronation in 1953."

Last edited:

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Well, they need the income. Chris Evans, so just 1x 3hr slot on one BBC radio station received an annual salary of £1.6 mill...

On a R4 interview the other day, there was some talk that the BBC had polled the great British public that they could allow the old dears to keep their free TV Licences, but the shortfall would have to be a reduced service and output.

Unsurprisingly, the results were to allow Granny to cough up so Auntie could keep the current level of service.

How convenient!

This outcome was inevitable, ever since the Government stopped paying the Pensioner subsidy through the Department of Works and Pensions and handed the shit sandwich to the BBC in 2015.
Despite assurances given at the time, it wasn’t going to survive contact for long. Those inflated salaries don’t pay themselves!
Has Gary Lineker expressed his opinion on Twitter yet? Normally you can’t shut him up!

This outcome was inevitable, ever since the Government stopped paying the Pensioner subsidy through the Department of Works and Pensions and handed the shit sandwich to the BBC in 2015.
Despite assurances given at the time, it wasn’t going to survive contact for long. Those inflated salaries don’t pay themselves!
Has Gary Lineker expressed his opinion on Twitter yet? Normally you can’t shut him up!
One amongst many who appear to be paid thousands more than their meagre talents are really worth.

Handlebarbleep

Old-Salt
We should remember though that without screwing the elderley it would be impossible to make high quality programs, like Game of Thrones, The Crown, Black Mirror, Chernobyl etc

.......No, Wait!!

I said on another thread that the world is now one of winners and losers or at least those who sympathise with the losers.. Within our individualist society, many professional trades have managed to preserve to an extent their sinecure and collegiate against the modern meme everyone else has to endure. The BBC is a classic example of selling itself as one thing (caring for all) and on the other, representing a very narrow minded group of peoples view of the world.

Actions are everything and it cares nought for the elderly, else it would have cut services and blamed the government. That tells you where its loyalties lie, not with any government but it serves the system as much as any Russian, Chinese or Iranian TV station pumping out agitprop.

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer
It's not really hypocrisy; it's just the BBC going back on what it promised for its own financial benefit. So it's lying and venality; wonderful things for a state-funded broadcaster to be doing.

He’ll twitter shortly blaming brexit.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
More like lying, thieving barstewards.

The over 75''s do not get free licences, they are Government funded.
Not any more, Osborne handed that little cherry back to the BBC.

What surprised me was the claim, made several times by Lord O'Donnell, Blair's Cabinet Secretary, that if the BBC continued to find the over 75s licence fees then that would account for 20% of BBC funding and mean a reduction in standards.

One fifth of the country TV licence holders are over 75? Seems a very high figure to me.

Mind you, this could be a catalyst for a good look at the licence fee overall and is it still, if it ever has been, fit for purpose. Should it change? If so what to?

Not any more, Osborne handed that little cherry back to the BBC.

What surprised me was the claim, made several times by Lord O'Donnell, Blair's Cabinet Secretary, that if the BBC continued to find the over 75s licence fees then that would account for 20% of BBC funding and mean a reduction in standards.

One fifth of the country TV licence holders are over 75? Seems a very high figure to me.

Mind you, this could be a catalyst for a good look at the licence fee overall and is it still, if it ever has been, fit for purpose. Should it change? If so what to?
I guess it’s by household.

Remember a chunk of the population are kids. Another significant chunk of the population are living in multi occupancy households (rented accommodation and families)

I could believe that 20% of the BBCs income comes from the over 75s.

Part of me is understanding of the bbc. The bulk of over 75s I know are fully active and can afford the licence fee. Another part of me is thinking the BBC wastes so much money on vanity projects and over inflated salaries then it’s a rip off.

The recent political coverage of Brexit has shown that the BBC seems to be London based and focused solely on the middle classes

Latest Threads