BBC Launches Arabic TV Channel

The BBC announced the commencement of its new service to the Arab region.

"We are encouraged that independent research consistently shows an appetite for a BBC Arabic television channel," Nigel Chapman, the director of BBC World Service, said in a statement. The main reason people give is quite simple -- it is because they believe the BBC will provide an independent news service they could trust."

In true BBC fashion it also said…….. “This service will be funded by the British Government.”

……..errrr, shome mishtake shurely? I always thought the BBC was funded by UK licence payers. :?

Durham_Productions said:
Nope, BBC World Service is funded by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
.....a part of the government who get their dosh from the tax payer/license fee payer. Quid pro quo.

"The BBC also announced that once the channel is fully subscribed, it will move to the BBC1 slot. Marjory Slavertits said "We intend to revamp scheduling to include 'Eastern Enders', 'Have I got Jihad for you' and Imman Who'. Its what the majority of public want and we will give it to them".

asmallbrownduck said:
Durham_Productions said:
So for "UK licence payers" read UK tax payers.

All the same and still a waste of my money.
Well they will have some competition, no matter who funds it. Al Jazeera claims 40 million viewers a day. So if the BBC Arabic service wants to compete perhaps they will have tp show the odd be-heading of a hostage now and then,,,,,,,keeps the viewers in that part of the world rivetted to their screens. Doncherknow?

UberSoldat said:
Durham_Productions said:
Wrong, some of the money to fund the channel is coming from UK government grants, hence 'The Tax Payer'
FCO or government grants, it is still the Tax Payer.

Where do you think the FCO get their money from?

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
chocolate_frog said:

Drug deals in Central America/Afghanistan. Selling small children to slave traders.

Opps. I've said too mu.........
They're really quite roomy aren't they, the boots in blacked out Range Rovers :p

I find using a bag of ganja for pillow quite comfy. A small child for the mattress and you're away.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
chocolate_frog said:

Drug deals in Central America/Afghanistan. Selling small children to slave traders.

Opps. I've said too mu.........
....Flash! Flash! Speak to me .......I heard a gunshot mid sentence. You OK?

Interesting that the BBC tried this earlier with a Saudi partner.....but the Saudis pulled out and most of the staff.....went to Al Jazeera. Nothing to do with impartiality or the truth of course..but you can't blame the Beeb for that. But now that the UK Gobment has promised 25 Million of UK tax payers money per year perhaps this time it will be a success. When the sums reach 100 million a year,,,,,,,send me a postcard.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
25 million??? You have got to be shitting me?

One question. Why do the BBC feel they need to produce/fund/run a flip flop channel?
....beats me. Maybe because they want, jobs for the boys, put the gobments viewpoint, educate the wogs???? Tick the box which suits best.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:

One question. Why do the BBC feel they need to produce/fund/run a flip flop channel?
Maybe they don't. Perhaps it's the Government's idea, hence the FCO funding. Propaganda war?
It's not like we haven't used the BBC for that purpose before.
£25m? It costs us about 1p each.

shagnasty said:
The BBC announced the commencement of its new service to the Arab region.
It is interesting that they neglected to mention that this is the re-launch of the BBC World Service Arabic TV channel. They had an Arabic service until 1996. The Saudis didn't like what the BBC was saying about them, mostly 'cos it was true. The Saudis leaned on HMG. The FCO shut it down.

And what did all the unemployed Arabic-speaking journalists do for a job?
They went and got jobs with Al Jazeera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jazeera_TV

"The original Al Jazeera channel was started in 1996 with a US$150 million grant from the Emir of Qatar, Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa.

In April 1996, the BBC World Service's Saudi-co-owned Arabic language TV station, faced with censorship demands by the Saudi Arabian government, shut down after two years of operation. Many former BBC World Service staff members joined Al Jazeera, which at the time was not yet on air. The channel began broadcasting in late 1996.[3]

Al Jazeera's availability (via satellite) throughout the Middle East changed the television landscape of the region. Prior to the arrival of Al Jazeera, many Middle Eastern citizens were unable to watch TV channels other than state-censored national TV stations."

And "educate the wogs?" FFS, grow up. Many of the "wogs" are shooting at you because they've believed what they have heard on the local radio, TV, in the mosque, souk; it's mostly bollox.

ottar said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:

Maybe they don't. Perhaps it's the Government's idea, hence the FCO funding. Propaganda war?
It's not like we haven't used the BBC for that purpose before.
£25m? It costs us about 1p each.

1p it may be but it's my 1p and as a tax payer, I'd like to have a say in where its going. I'd rather it went on more episodes of Top Gear.

Propaganda by the government???

Did you manage to type that with a straight face? This shower of shite couldnt think out of the box let alone come up with a campaign like that.

The-Lord-Flasheart said:
1p it may be but it's my 1p and as a tax payer, I'd like to have a say in where its going. I'd rather it went on more episodes of Top Gear.
Have you seen the local 'news'? Anything that counters it is a bloody good thing.
Lots of video of footage of dead and mutilated bodies all because of the evil westerners. Or we could have some BBC footage of heroic westerners saving puppies and children from the evil insurgents.
If it stops one person from taking a working holiday in Iraqistan, it's 1p well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Did you manage to type that with a straight face? This shower of shite couldnt think out of the box let alone come up with a campaign like that.
Did you type that with a straight face?
You don't think this Government is good at propaganda? They haven't won the last three general elections on their performance, have they?

ottar said:
The-Lord-Flasheart said:
Have you seen the local 'news'? Anything that counters it is a bloody good thing.
Lots of video of footage of dead and mutilated bodies all because of the evil westerners. Or we could have some BBC footage of heroic westerners saving puppies and children from the evil insurgents.
If it stops one person from taking a working holiday in Iraqistan, it's 1p well spent as far as I'm concerned.

Did you type that with a straight face?
You don't think this Government is good at propaganda? They haven't won the last three general elections on their performance, have they?

Fair point on your last point but their propaganda is self serving as opposed to serving the country.

I see where you are coming from re: how the angle pushed could place UK Plc in a good or bad light but my cynicism mode is kicking in. I dont believe mainland BBC will be putting too much editorial control over the channel. They tried that before and it failed. Fickle lot the Arabs and they certainly wouldnt subscribe to a Western puppet channel.