BBC Last Night of the Proms 2008!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Rothney, Sep 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is anybody else watching the Last Night on BBC and wondering what the hell is going on???

Where is the traditional music?
  2. More to the point, WHAT THE FCUK was that guy doing with a FCUKING IRISH TRICOLOUR on his right sleeve???

He's standing up there singing "Britannia rules the waves" while wearing the flag of a nation which refused British vessels access to it's ports during WW2.

An insult and a disgrace.
  3. Thanks for your reply.

I've been watching Last night for years and this is the most disgusting performance I have ever seen.

Isn't it strange, in March NuLabour minister Margaret Hodge said it needed dumming down.

And this is what we got. Some joker for a conductor and the most out of place rendition of Rule B.
  4. Ah, yes, but:

Land of Hope and Glory, Mother of the Free,
    How shall we extol thee, who are born of thee?
    Wider still, and wider, shall thy bounds be set;
    God, who made thee mighty, make thee mightier yet!

And they are kicking Jerusalem off. I've had several beers and am welling up.
  5. And did those feet in ancient time
    Walk upon England's mountain green?
    And was the holy Lamb of God
    On England's pleasant pastures seen?
    And did the countenance divine
    Shine forth upon our clouded hills?
    And was Jerusalem builded here
    Among those dark satanic mills?

Bring me my bow of burning gold!
    Bring me my arrows of desire!
    Bring me my spear! O clouds, unfold!
    Bring me my chariot of fire!
    I will not cease from mental fight,
    Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand,
    Till we have built Jerusalem
    In England's green and pleasant land.

Ha!!! Suck on that, Johnny Foreigner!

And here's the Nation Anthem! Less whinging, more standing up!!
  6. And there is an enormous Union Flag projected on the back wall.

Sometimes people on here are just looking for a reason to be outraged.

And the way I look at Bryn wearing a ticolour is as a subtle attempt to re-colonise.
  7. Listen to how unorganised it is. The worst I've ever seen it. 15 minutes over due. a Leftist anti-tradition conductor.

Rule Britannia is supposed to be an integrated piece of music with a build up from the sea shanties!

8. I don't understand why people attend something like that and don't sing!

9. I didn't hear anyone singing about Marshal Wade either......

oh well, maybe next year.

oh and BBC 3 'listen live' thing on the internet refused to let me listen to it.
  10. Jesus, no wonder the Country is in the state it's in with you miserable sods about the place.

It's 15 mins over time. Or, conversely, there are 15 mins more of entertainment. They slipped the news for it - they never do that.

The conductor wasn't wearing a tailcoat. Hardly a Stalinist bid for power.

Every year the Mail readers whine about the fact that the proms is some sort of lefty plot. The way you people are moaning you'd think they had culminated with "The Red Flag" played on a sitar whilst a lesbian social worker wiped her hoop on a photo of the Queen.

Several parks around the country packed with people waving the Union Flag and singing Land of Hope and Glory? It's hardly a dinner party at Polly Toynbee's house, is it?
  11. How was it different this year?

It never ends on time (because of the encores), and the news always slips, as does Match of the Day. I've been watching it for the last, what, 27 years, and I can never recall it running to time. It ran nearer to time this year because the conductor decided that the music was more important than his speech, which was shorter than most.

It always has some non-traditional stuff at the start of Part 2 when it shifts to BBC1. (At least it wasn't that Harrison Birtwhistle sh1t this year)

It then goes into the traditional stuff, overruns, and ends with the National Anthem.

I don't see how it differed from normal years bar the length of the conductor's speech?
  12. Just about every flag under the sun is on display if you look closer.

In fact foreign flag-waving has become rather a Last Night tradition in itself.

Apparently the Krauts have a particular fascination....
  13. Might he be Irish?

Can an Irishman today not be proud of his country, even though it committed towdry acts in the past?

If not, should I stop being proud of my country?
  14. For just about the first time in his life Clive 'so smug even other barristers think he's smug' Anderson was right. Only the BBC dare bugger about with a winning formula.

The interview with the woman described as one of our brightest young composers followed by a performance of her piece 'Rhapsody on Urine extraction' was appalling. When the choir said 'Shhhhhhhhhh' I didn't know iwhether it was part of the performance or a mass attempt to criticise the crap they were asked to take part in.

And then to mess about with the Fantasia on British sea songs, so they could 'include' the parties in the park.

15. Total disappointment if you are a traditionalist. The (marketing) idea of having parallel performances in the regions was a start on the downward path. That tripe of uniting them as one was dire in the extreme; it was dissonant anyway and nothing to do with what the Proms stands for. Only thing remotely good about it was to see once more a gathering of untinged faces although I did see one who had wormed her way onto the platform. Nice to see people illustrate fervour and support of a idea without death threats and flag burning accompanied by mlaaar dancing.