BBC : Irish terror threat 'substantial'

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Cow, Sep 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cow

Cow LE

2. I thought St Tony brought peace to N.I?
  3. And in today's other news..... a bear was seen entering the woods with a roll of toilet tissue.
  4. More informative than our security breifs.
  5. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

No,St Tony said HE had brought peace to Northern Ireland, He also said that Iraq had WMDs, and we all only had 45 minutes to live
  6. The way things are going they'll have to start putting troops on the ground again. I wonder what Op name they'll give it? Hows about Op "Untouchable". After all i suspect the terrorists believe themselves to be just so. Plus if we do end up with troops bouncing around the province again, i'm sure they'll tie their hands as they did to us before???????? *******!!!!.......Lets hope it doesn't come to that though?
  7. No, I thought it was Bill and Hillary.....Bill at least twice and then Hillary claimed it during her own campaign. (Maybe she just misspoke again)
  8. Surely more appropriate to say a fellow with a large hat subscribes to the Church of Rome & rides about in a sort of ice cream van?
  9. In today's "anti-terror" environment surely we can just ship them to Guantanamo and apply wet towels until they willingly agree to give Ian Paisley a blow job?

Hard to believe that Neanderthal religious whack-jobs haven't really changed their views after all these years - colour me shocked.
  10. The dissidents aren't the half educated, disorganised bunch they're being made out to be. Fewer in number and with limited access to hardware compared to the provies at their most busy certainly. Very little in the way of any public support in traditional republican areas (although it could be argued that a certain degree of "sympathy" and a growing number of young un's joining their ranks) Unfortunately they seem once again to have gotten the hang of making things go bang when they want it to. Next step for them is exporting it to the mainland UK. They've previous form in recent years so likely not a huge leap for them to make. Hammersmith bridge and the RPG attack on the MI5 building? They don't need to run a sustained campaign on the mainland to get the exposure they crave. Purely coincidental that Matt Baggott was meeting the PM the same day of this "breaking news"? No doubt top of his agenda was the expected financial cuts to our force. Something along the lines of "if we don't have the money/resources/manpower to keep a lid on it here, it will be in your backyard Dave, sooner than you might like". Or am I just getting cynical in my old age?
  11. Our friends in the north have many more concerned citizens who may wish to help out with intelligence these days and perhaps an international call to that nice Canadian fellow might help with tracing the hardware.

p.s. "substantial" isn't that a well rounded, cozy, comforting sort of word
  12. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

How about Op Enduring Irish Freedom?
    We could call in our allies on the Global War On Terror
    The USMC seem to think they have to bail us out every 5 minutes so let them have it
    Once the Apache's and A10's are running up and down the Falls and Gerry and Martin are on their way to Gitmo we could sit back and enjoy the show

Bet Obama won't chuck £100 million at an enquiery into who got shot where and when

13. That gets my vote!
  14. No, I think you're probably spot on the money.
  15. Highly unlikely troops will be redeployed as it's not wanted by the population OR the NI MLA, besides which it will show their not capable of dealing with the issue,

These DR's may be growing in numbers with increasing members from other SG's, but to put on a significant campaign to mainland Britain (Bankers & Fiscal sector specificially) is a big call, but not unthinkable, remember 1 major incident on the mainland aquires to 10/15 NI incidents,

No doubt the Bishopgate area will carry on regardless either way.