BBC iPlayer - Licence fee for PCs?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Steven, Jul 30, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So the BBC have finally launched their iPlayer

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6916164.stm

How long before you have to pay a licence fee for all Inet capable PCs?

This idea has already been suggested in Germany (not sure if it is going ahead or not), so I reckon it won't take long before all PCs will need a licence.

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

Has anyone got it yet?

3. I've been using the beta for a couple of months. It's ok, You can download a selelction of programmes from the website up to seven days after they have been shown on the telly.

Personally I think the article is rubbish - You tube cannot compete with this service.

4. As a Pommy in Australia I miss BBC radio and BBC news. I'd pay a small fee for limited access.

5. Can you get iPlayer from the BBC - at present it's completely free, and if it doesn't restrict by country, you'll have access to Brit TV.

6. I need broadband first. You wouldn't believe the internet here. Telstra is the Aussie BT and is 100 times more anti-competition.

It's like stepping back in time! But at least it's sunny.

:)

7. All BBC national radio channels are available on the BBC website . Haven't heard that they are restricted to UK

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/

8. Available overseas through a subscription service, I believe.

9. What about me, I pay a tv licence for 12 months but spend 6 months of the year overseas will i be expected to pay twice?

10. I signed up for the beta project last Friday and received log in details yesterday. It will be a service I will make much use of as BBC content is unrivaled anywhere in the world.

As for a licence fee for internet capable pc's then the BBC and microsoft need to get their house in order re digital rights management. I would happily pay a reasonable fee to allow me unfettered access to BBC material

Within 30 minutes of installing it and downloading and within one search term and 3 mouse clicks I found the software that removes the time restrictions on the mpeg files.

11. All UK licence fee payers should have some sort of PIN that lets them use it from any IP address.

Dont hold your breath though.

12. This story puts me in mind of all that oul shite they wheel out every few years re: multiple TVs requiring multiple licences, even though they're all in one house. Personally, I'd be fcuked as I have 7 TVs and 5 computers. Not gonna happen. Joe Public wouldn't wear it.

Where would this end, though? I can watch live TV on my moble phone, and it's obviously going to be a whole lot of places. Am I going to have to ask someone for their TV licence before I go into their house?

The BBC can go fcuk itself up the arrse as far as I'm concerned.

13. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Having looked at it you need to use Windows Media Player and Internet Explorer. No Firefox or RealPlayer support at all.

Looks like I won't be using it as I refuse to inflict that cr@p on my machine.

14. I heard talk a few years ago of some sort of tax on PC's in the future to make up for the loss of licence fee revenue when it finally goes within a decade.

15. No as long as you dont plug it in, as licence fee rules only apply to devices running off mains.