BBC inciting military to break law again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Herrumph, Sep 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News Page have covered the story about poor accommodation - so far, so good!

They then go and ask serving military personnel to submitt their stories. Yet again they are encouraging servicemen and women to risk getting into trouble by not getting permission to speak/comment to the media.

I accept this may be perceived as gagging soldiers -but those are the rules. Is it time servicemen had right to take these sort of issues direct to BAFF, MP or some other source of help. Chain of Command cannot do anything about it because financial hands are tied.

I have posted a message saying to BBC that they would be better talking to BAFF, RBL and the like to get chapter and verse as well as grilling the Ministers responsible rather than encouraging people to break law.

2. Post the link - let's see if this is anything more than the standard BBC newspage footer, if it is - by all means go off on one.

If it isn't - wind yr neck in. 8)

3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

4. That's one of the main functions of a trade union (staff association, federation, 'We're Not Commies And Hate Trade Unions And Would Never Go On Strike BUT ARE WELL PI$$ED OFF Company Limited by Guarantee' - call BAFF what you will):-

To employ people to say things that members can't say, for legal reasons or to prevent victimisation (wrecked career etc).

The Police Federation, for example, does it all the time. It's lawyers regularly say things to senior coppers and government ministers which would get an ordinary rozzer fired or victimised. Indeed, the government's new gagging regulations are a wonderful BAFF recruiting sergeant. Which is exactly what HMG deserves. They’ve tried to silence legitimate criticism and deserve to get bitten on the arsse.

5. I disagree, the BBC is under obligation to be above the scum of journalism.

Obviously breaking their own covenant...

This has happened before, the BBC was asking Members Of The Armed Forces to disclose troop movement information in Afghanistan not too long ago. They blamed it on a "Junior member of staff who made a mistake"

A Junior member of staff who hasn't fucking learnt anything!

6. Wind yr neck in??

Link has been provided by someone else. The fact that it may be a standard news footage tactic would not change fact that they are asking someone to do something illegal. Incidentally it does not go on every news story, therefore someone decided to put it there.

Last time BBC were criticised for doing this sort of thing, as far as I can remember, there was also a serious OPSEC issue and the Beeb blamed a junior researcher and said it wouldn't happen again.

I agree that many journos will try and get quotes/examples, but they are not a publicly funded service. we should expect higher standards of the BBC. There is also a risk that any soldier who gives a quote will be named because there is a degree of automation on the BBC site.

Neck not wound in because i am always prepared to stick neck and head above parapet when I believe issue is right. Incidentally I state again state of accommodation is a disgrace but there is a better and legal way to highlight problem (not just an "issue" Mr Ainsworth)

7. Fair one..

8. Is there an echo in here? :)

9. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I seem to remember back when I was in the was talk for the MoD allowing servicemen to join a union with certain 'restrictions' so as not to affect operational duties.

10. It's easily done. Just build a no-strike clause into contracts of employment (or the documents which make up the contract). A decent lawyer could research it - see how other militaries handle the problem - and draft it in a week. You then build joint negotiating arrangements whose first clause is: "Nothing in this procedure shall impact adversely on operational effectiveness."

Some people make such a fuss about the British military being collectively organised. It's really no big deal. The BBC can then just phone up BAFF instead of inviting squaddies to break the law.

11. It's a BBC drill - done as a matter of course, with little or no thought.

There's one at the foot (and mouth) of the "Outbreak at second site" page:

Now the BBC shipping forcast: Sea Area "Teacup" - small storm . . .yawn, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :roll:

12. You should write for the Daily Mail.

So what ...? By your reasoning this site shouldn't exist surely - or if it is allowed to the moderation policy should screen out shrieking headline posts like yours.