BBC - Hundreds gather for Veterans Day

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Whiskybreath, Jun 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What the hell's this about?

If these foul politicians want to show that they "care" for the Armed Forces, they should be adequately funding them while on active service and ensuring their welfare afterwards, not handing out stupid lapel badges in the hope of currying favour for the next popular vote.

I can only hope that those former soldiers who attended were suitably impressed and honoured by the presence of Mr Twigg, himself a man known for his profound attachment to the Forces, and a notable fundraiser for Service Charities.

2. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Good peice of reporting that:
    A Spitfire jet was among the military equipment displayed during celebrations in the city's Victoria Square.
    Does anyone know if they had a Tornado tank and Chieftain Ship

W4nkers :roll:

3. lokks like the Beeb have lurkers here - it appears to have been corrected.
    btw don't you mean a Chieftain frigate? ;)

4. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Or the best rifle in the world,the L58A2....

5. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Surely that's Tugboat Turney's position?

7. Millions of Veterans [bods who have served King/Queen and country] and hundreds turn up? glad the majority of those that have served see this for the political, mendacious shite that it is. :x

8. That's the really strange thing about this; the fact that the appalling gang of control freaks in power now decided to set up a 'veterans day' but nobody (ok, a hundred or so...) came to their party. I thought they were the Master Manipulators of Information. It must mean something. [cue rolling thunder]

9. Totally bemused.

On a similar note (maybe) we've just had International Reserves Day here in Canberra. Naturally I binned all correspondence which is a shame because if I'd paid more attention, and turned up, I would have met LCPL Beharry VC.

Poor bugger me.

10. Locally they have a Veterans day, this involves a small parade and a service at the towns war memorial, a march to the local park near by where there are stalls and fund raising for the Vets, three bands playing in rotation dancing in the open air and a general get together. The Mayor picks up the bill for the event and there vets from across the ages, so what is wrong with it.

11. Nothing wrong with local communities honouring their veterans W. Most former servicemen and women object to the creation of a Labour spun National Veterans Day when we already have one, it's called Remembrance Day.
    The USA observe Memorial Day on the last Monday of may each year to remember those who were killed or died in the service of their country.
    They also observe Veterans Day each November 11th to remember and thank those who served and are serving their country. Each day is an official public holiday.

If the Labour Party wish to honour veterans then perhaps they should initiate a Brit version of the USA's GI Bill which would afford free and automatic university education and low interest home mortgages to servicemen and women who complete a minimum of six years service or an accumulation of more than one year of combat duty. I would suggest, if they are genuine in their appreciation of former and current service personnel, declaring November 11th each year a national holiday.

12. MattyGC's case (among others) has attracted legitimate interest from The Independent On Sunday, who are now looking to talk to wounded/injured soldiers (+ ex soldiers), Reg or TA, and their families, about their treatment on return from Iraq/Afg, inc those treated at Selly Oak and Headley Ct.

Subject has a thread of its own.

If you are or know of guys/gals in this boat, and who want to go public - here's where to look. Any BAFF/Legion types looking in might want to make contact with the Indy, if they feel strongly about this issue.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/p=1351315.html

If there are other threads where this might reasonably be publicised - pse do so.

Thanks

13. A really very good, positive idea. Can you think of any reasons why it hasn't already been implemented? I can...

Another outstanding idea. Unfortunately, it contains, in the second phrase, the reason why it will not be promulgated. We are subject to Government of a People by a Party for a Party. They are Guardian-thinkers, not given to appreciation of such forces of conservatism (small c).

(Sorry if I appear cynical, sarcastic and crabby. British politicians nowadays just seem to be either wholly incompetent (Con, Lib) or greedily opportunistic (Blair and the rest of them). A pox on all their houses.)

14. Careful what you say about the Grauniad. I have read some very interesting words therein lately, penned by that avid admirer of Karl Marx, Mr Max Hastings . . .

(helluvalot easier to read him than your muttered imprecations - so I turned up the volume. My earsight's not wot it was . . .

15. Indeed. Sometimes I wonder about Sir Max. Once upon a time he held opinions which could be regarded as wholesome. Of late he's been something of a Sunday lunchtime liberal philosopher.

Too much NuLabour table, and too much free claret, perhaps.

(Bugger your eyesight - mine's even worse!)