BBC - How the West invited China to eat its lunch

China is an authoritarian single party state and the regime brooks no individual freedom for it’s citizens other than what it thinks it should. The CP has layers that they will call a democratic process but the reality is that in the main, they rubber stamp decrees handed down from the politburo. In itself a national governing body that I understand is very much dominated by the sitting President. Xi Jinping.

I’d actually describe it currently as a communist state with a Stalinist flavour because of the sitting Presidents penchant for personally dictating national and indeed international policy.

I view communism as just a form of fascism pretending to be in the peoples interests when in fact, it’s more like a dictatorship directing it’s citizens what to do with the threat of severe penalties for those who don’t comply.

What happens in China only happens because the communists under Xi Jinping allow it to happen.

I do think they took notice of the downfall of the Russian communists and have responded by changing their system to one that takes advantage of the capitalist world.

It‘s also allowed them to become much more adventurous outside their own borders and they are taking maximum advantage of that.

China is a threat to democracy and the freedoms that we enjoy. I think that’s indisputable!
China is more of a threat to other country internal growth first and most important, if businesses outsource they are investling less in their own country foremost and from cheaper imports devaluing a stable market which means less VAT or equiv is paid

anglo

LE
So China isn’t governed by a communist regime now?

Has anybody told the Chinese, especially the Chinese communists!
No it's a Dictatorship,

dictatorship, form of government in which one person or a small group possesses absolute power without effective constitutional limitations.

So China isn’t governed by a communist regime now?

Has anybody told the Chinese, especially the Chinese communists!

Morning, @rgjbloke,
From yesterday's local 'comic'.
20211211_170903~2.jpg

:)

In my eyes why pay more tax than required, nothing to wave your knob over or should get they get a t-shirt with it "I pay more tax than you!!!"

The amount directors pay goes up next year especially ref corporation tax I pointed in another thread.
Ordinary people pay all the taxes they are legally required to pay in full in the UK. There are no schemes to allow them to avoid paying tax. We would be in financial trouble if there was. We wouldn’t be able to pay for the state infrastructure that forms the UK and the things that living here brings to us.

Look around the UK. It’s all got to be paid for. That includes defence.

People Like Mr Rees Mogg might be legally avoiding paying tax on some of their income, and the amounts they are avoiding are substantial, yet they enjoy the same infrastructure and the freedoms that everybody else who doesn’t avoid paying tax on their earnings does.

I think given the views of many of them, in particular Mr Rees Mogg views on patriotism, he’s definitely not practising what he preaches.

Put that on the T shirt if you like.

He’s not a patriot!

Karrimor was bought by Sports Direct year ago. KarrimorSF is a completely different company now.
So you really think the outsourcing infrastructure has changed? I may be wrong but I bought a business and was profitable as it was I would leave things way they are.

Ordinary people pay all the taxes they are legally required to pay in full in the UK. There are no schemes to allow them to avoid paying tax. We would be in financial trouble if there was. We wouldn’t be able to pay for the state infrastructure that forms the UK and the things that living here brings to us.

People Like Mr Rees Mogg might be legally avoiding paying tax on some of their income, and the amounts they are avoiding are substantial, yet they enjoy the same infrastructure and the freedoms that everybody else who doesn’t avoid paying tax on their earnings does.

I think given the views of many of them, in particular Mr Rees Mogg views on patriotism, he’s definitely not practising what he preaches.

He’s not a patriot!

Hypocritical politician shocker.

Hold the front page.

He’s not a patriot!
Everyone pays tax whether you pay it on self assessment or buying a can of coke in a shop as an end consumer.

Everyone pays tax whether you pay it on self assessment or buying a can of coke in a shop as an end consumer.
Except of course when you keep your money in a cayman island bank account so you avoid paying tax on that. Something that ordinary people don’t do.

So you really think the outsourcing infrastructure has changed? I may be wrong but I bought a business and was profitable as it was I would leave things way they are.

It's tried and tested strategy to buy out a quality brand, use the goodwill built up over years or decades to flog cheap tat, then discard it and move onto the next one. Can't fault the original owners necessarily, they are in business after all. But when a brand changes hands it's good to scrutinise how the new owner makes money. Sports Direct is "fast fashion", they don't care about the quality of the product, they want to sell you something fashionable and then when it goes out of fashion sell you something new, rinse and repeat. Perfect fit for outsourced manufacturing. And what I said about MBAs only thinking that "the brand" is all of the value.

Except of course when you keep your money in a cayman island bank account so you avoid paying tax on that. Something that ordinary people don’t do.
You mean they don't because they don't know how to or because they can't afford the minimum threshold requirements.

All the Indians here are known to hide their money in gold as an asset whether living in UK or India itself.

You mean they don't because they don't know how to or because they can't afford the minimum threshold requirements.

All the Indians here are known to hide their money in gold as an asset whether living in UK or India itself.
Whatever the reasons on your first point, people like Rees Mogg are (hypocritically in my view) avoiding paying significant amounts of tax in the UK.

On your second point, all the Asian people I know have held jobs where they pay taxes directly from their wages and those who have retired pay tax on their occupational pensions.

I would suspect anybody from anywhere who has significant assets hidden in gold or anything else probably didn’t hold down an ordinary job like the rest of us did.

Whatever the reasons on your first point, people like Rees Mogg are (hypocritically in my view) avoiding paying significant amounts of tax in the UK.

On your second point, all the Asian people I know have held jobs where they pay taxes directly from their wages and those who have retired pay tax on their occupational pensions.

I would suspect anybody from anywhere who has significant assets hidden in gold or anything else probably didn’t hold down an ordinary job like the rest of us did.
Actually it is a means of concealing income i.e "black money", as good as laundering, keep cash in hand and buy gold, it never touches the bank, take it elsewhere and sell it abroad for cash.

Actually it is a means of concealing income i.e "black money", as good as laundering, keep cash in hand and buy gold, it never touches the bank, take it elsewhere and sell it abroad for cash.

Is that income that is taxed at source or not. The vast majority of people working in the UK are on PAYE and are unable to avoid paying tax on what they earn.

If people are speculating on gold, that’s a choice for them. It doesn’t mean they haven’t paid tax on the money they used to buy the gold.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
China is an authoritarian single party state and the regime brooks no individual freedom for it’s citizens other than what it thinks it should. The CP has layers that they will call a democratic process but the reality is that in the main, they rubber stamp decrees handed down from the politburo. In itself a national governing body that I understand is very much dominated by the sitting President. Xi Jinping.

I’d actually describe it currently as a communist state with a Stalinist flavour because of the sitting Presidents penchant for personally dictating national and indeed international policy.

I view communism as just a form of fascism pretending to be in the peoples interests when in fact, it’s more like a dictatorship directing it’s citizens what to do with the threat of severe penalties for those who don’t comply.

What happens in China only happens because the communists under Xi Jinping allow it to happen.

I do think they took notice of the downfall of the Russian communists and have responded by changing their system to one that takes advantage of the capitalist world.

It‘s also allowed them to become much more adventurous outside their own borders and they are taking maximum advantage of that.

China is a threat to democracy and the freedoms that we enjoy. I think that’s indisputable!
I think we're essentially in agreement about the fundamentals of the Chinese regime.

Is that income that is taxed at source or not. The vast majority of people working in the UK are on PAYE and are unable to avoid paying tax on what they earn.

If people are speculating on gold, that’s a choice for them. It doesn’t mean they haven’t paid tax on the money they used to buy the gold.
For Indians majority is very much a cash in hand economy

Working in a deprived, yet enriched area brought me into contact with hundreds of Asian families. It was noticeable how many fathers were on Disability Benefits or unemployed, yet were too busy to attend parent’s evenings (driving a taxi or working in a takeaway according to their kids). Money can be virtually moved home through a Hawala system without a paper trail.
No doubt other sections of the demographic have a similar lifestyle, but I didn’t see many white faces at work.

Latest Threads