BBC history Series - Royal Navy and Empire

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by EX_STAB, Jan 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wiat - I bet the rest of the series is about how the RN helped the slave trade to flourish.

2. Sadly, through no fault of its own today's Royal Navy is a toothless, gutless shadow of it's former self. Destroyed by political correctness and bureaucracy.

3. Where did you get that from? More to the point, how much are you willing to bet?

The RN's role in ending the transatlantic slave trade was on of the first instances of 'liberal interventionism' by Britain.

4. You know that and I know that, but the 'meejah'? Anything to do with Empire is usually an excuse for sack-cloth and ashes because we were apparently so horrid to non-British people.

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

I think through it's own fault, or at least the RN's senior officers for the last 15 years, who have traded their assets and people for aircraft carriers.

6. I don't like the presenter at all. Full of himself to the detriment of the subject matter.

7. Absolutely. After the split from Rome in the 1500s, and definitely after 1688 when England (then Britain) spent a more than a century contesting the mastery of Europe (then the world) with France, the Royal Navy was our shield. Unless it kept the armies of continental powers away, and kept the seas safe for our trade, the political, economic and social elite would find their futures severely short and unpleasant.

A powerful and effective navy was vital to the nation's survival, and the majority of the resources of the Kingdom were devoted to maintaining it. Navies were (are) expensive. Modern systems of taxation, the Bank of England and the National Debt were all created to make sure that Britain would not go bankrupt and could always maintain a large fleet at sea if needed. Manning, supplying and maintaining that fleet required organisation on a huge scale. The industrial revolution started because of the need to equip the fleet. The RN was at the root of the evolution of the modern British state.

If you've got the time and inclination, N A M Rodger's series of books on naval / British history from about 1480 onwards is fantastic reading.

Oh, and for all the criticism of today's navy, when you need them Jack and Jenny will always come through. That's why we didn't lose NOTTINGHAM or ENDURANCE.

8. Cheers, ill keep a look out,
    The original post was just advertizing a documentry, why make it political!
    Engaged in History studies with the OU, in fact History is my hobby too (I know... some will say Sad B.....D) Always had an interest in the old Navy, something to be proud of deep inside. If your not proud, then hand in your passport or Visa.
    The Navy today......? Blame the Politico types. The Government spends more on the DSS than anything else. For those who blame the EMPIRE for all their current whoes, well, you can not alter the past, so Tuff.

DOOH! Im doing it now

9. Nothing sad about liking history. I did my degree in it because it was the only thing I could spend three years reading about constantly and still find fascinating.

I'm glad that the BBC has done something a bit different, and put together an interesting documentary that will open people's eyes to the RN in history and today.

10. As somebody who probably thinks he knows more about the Navy's history than he actually does I enjoyed it.

Gave, I thought, a balanced view about the origins of RN and didn't skip over its involvement in some of their history's less impressive endevours ie slave trade and I'm looking forward to the next one.

I thought Dan Snow was ok - he's got some big shoes to fill if he's following in his dad's footsteps.

11. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Do you know, I read that as "traded their assets and aircraft for people carriers."

Makes far more sense when I read slower. Must start pointing at the words and moving my lips ...

12. This type of programme makes me so sad - at how far we have fallen as a nation in recent times.

A couple of years ago I stood in the well-preserved Georgian naval dockyard in Antigua, marvelling at the balls we had in those days to make the strategic military investments necessary to underpin our national interests. Same feeling when you travel through the Old Empire and view those great natural harbours and choke points of the world which used to be the key points in our Naval strength - Gibraltar, Alexandria, Cape Town, Mombasa, Aden, Bombay, Singapore, Sydney, Hong Kong, et al...