BBC heavy tactics - Edmonds speaks out

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Whiskybreath, Sep 13, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Dribbling fool he may have been whenever seen on the box, but he seems to have put his money where his mouth is with this, as non-payment of the BBC licence is a crime without equal in these opiate Neighbours/Big Brother House-obsessed times.

I'm not too sure whether he simply has a grudge against the BBC and thinks that this will injure the organisation somehow, or whether he actually has a very good point indeed. I tend towards a mix of both.
  2. Genuine question - is the BBC responsible for collecting the licence fee or locating and prosecuting dodgers? I always thought that would be some law enforcement mob.
  3. haven't paid my licence fee for 10 years now; they certainly did chase and I got threatening letters and they kept saying they had called but I was never in. I told them I didn't watch tv and they haven't contacted me for some time now...
  4. It's a BBC responsibility but they now contract it out to CAPITA (the same mob who do the London Congestion Charge) for collection and enforcement.
  5. i guess the BBC are just following the governments lead when it comes to "do what your told or else!!".
  6. Collection and prosecution was the responsibility of the Post Office but not sure who it is now.
  7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Even though I have sympathy with the cause, my trouble is - the man's a knob. I haven't liked him since Swapshop was around. However, I recognise what he is going on about.

I live away during the week (student - v mature :D ) and don't have a tv in my flat. It's the only way I can assure myself of getting some work done! I got the phone call a couple of months back and had a face off with some damn bitch effectively calling me a liar simply because there wasn't a licence shown against my address. It ended after the threat of the TV van giving me a call, of some direct educational prose in return and the phone being put down.

I may have to get around my dislike of smily, slimy men with goatees here and get in line to vent off.....
  8. The TV Licence 'team' assume every property/household has a TV - and thus is liable to cough up for a Licence.

The TV Licence 'team' thus matches a database of all known properties with a database of all those licences issued and, hej presto, has a list of those who have not paid. Any property on database 1 who doesn't appear on database 2 receives an automatic computor generated red letter. This very often happens to new tenents/owners moving into a property and legally using the licence they obtained at their previous property.

It is an offence to have a TV and not a Licence.

It is an offence - or there is a deliberate set of words that imply it is an offence - to not inform the TV Licence 'team' that you have a TV licence and that their records are not up to date.

It is an offence - or there is a deliberate set of words that imply it is an offence - to not inform the TV Licence 'team' if you have no TV.

It is an additional offence to say you have no TV, when in fact you do.

Edmonds is an offence to humanity and a complete fcukwit. He claims the TV Licence is 'fabulous value for money' and that he is angry with the BBC for being heavy handed. Well, they're only going to get heavy handed with him now that he's decided not to pay for something that he considers good value. Fcukwit!
  9. Question. If I return to UK with my snazzy tele. If I rip the aerial socket out, and join the inner part of the co-ax to the outer, thus rendering the TV unable to pick up Tele signals....

Do I have to pay for a Licence I don´t need or particularly want?
  10. Is it a crime not to pay the licence?
    Is it a crime that the BBC can mislead or deceive the consumer / its audience by faking winners of competitions by deliberately conducting competitions unfairly?
    Now that they have been caught out and fined, does it mean they will increase licence fee's?

What a load of twots. :x Latest fine
  11. You decide. From here:

12. msr

msr LE

Wrong, wrong and wrong, I am afraid.

There is no requirement to have a license if you watch pre-recorded TV, nor is there any legal requirement to inform anybody.

13. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

My drama is with the laptop.

Does this include overseas real time viewing?

How about UK (most likely pay as you go SKY) sports type programmes?

I assume it doesn't include Iplayer programmes as they aren't real time? But what about the live video link to a voice over on to a series of scorecards for test matches?

Anyone more educated than myself know the answers?
  14. msr

msr LE

The legislation is a long way behind technology, but the licensing fascists will try to stretch it as far as they can.

Basically, if you watch TV (even on a computer) in real time then you need a license.
  15. And here is a link for proof;