BBC = Gay Dracula

There's a US series of What We Do in the Shadows too. Will watch the NZ movie but the series is pretty good.
I watched the US series too, it was great fun and enjoyable. I think it was actually based on the NZ film and the director of the film appeared in one of the episodes, though it's not something I noticed at the time but was told afterwards.

Moglington

Old-Salt
I liked the numerous hat-tips/references to other horror films/shows (too many to list) my favourite was the crossword clue (Unscrupulous Doctor deploys tanners knife) which is a great reference to Frankenstein and also the indie number 9 crossword episode.

And as for Sister Agatha, I think everything that needs to be said has already been said. Mmmmmm.
So, inquiring minds want to know--did she get her tits out for the lads or not? :?
Snowy Owl being comical.jpg

I liked the numerous hat-tips/references to other horror films/shows (too many to list) my favourite was the crossword clue (Unscrupulous Doctor deploys tanners knife) which is a great reference to Frankenstein and also the indie number 9 crossword episode.
They also snuck a Sherlock Holmes reference into Episode 1.

So, inquiring minds want to know--did she get her tits out for the lads or not? :?
She was bi. On the BBC. Who knew?

She said she had erotic dreams about Sister Rosa. Agatha herself is a switch from the male Van Helsing in the book. So strong female character and replaced by another later, Zoe.

In fact.

Mina - Lists people she will seek out for entertainment while her fiance is away. One of them is a local barmaid. Oddly a very weak female character. She fends off an undead, vampiric Jonathan, swears to avenge his death and destroy Dracula....and then disappears out of the story.

Dracula - refers to the people he turns into vampires as his brides. Male or female.

Lucy switched from white to black. Also has a camp gay friend. Because there isn't enough in the plot already.

Renfield - played by Mark Gatiss. "Not camp at all."

Quincey - demoted from someone with previous experience of vampires in the novel, to a stereotypical beefcake rich guy.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
She was bi. On the BBC. Who knew?

She said she had erotic dreams about Sister Rosa. Agatha herself is a switch from the male Van Helsing in the book. So strong female character and replaced by another later, Zoe.

In fact.

Mina - Lists people she will seek out for entertainment while her fiance is away. One of them is a local barmaid. Oddly a very weak female character. She fends off an undead, vampiric Jonathan, swears to avenge his death and destroy Dracula....and then disappears out of the story.

Dracula - refers to the people he turns into vampires as his brides. Male or female.

Lucy switched from white to black. Also has a camp gay friend. Because there isn't enough in the plot already.

Renfield - played by Mark Gatiss. "Not camp at all."

Quincey - demoted from someone with previous experience of vampires in the novel, to a stereotypical beefcake rich guy.
I actually thought Gatiss was superb as Renfield.
Just the right level of servitude and brown nosing

TamH70

MIA
I actually thought Gatiss was superb as Renfield.
Just the right level of servitude and brown nosing
Enough about Gatiss's attitude to the Grand Moff, what about his character in the show? ;)

When Mark Gatiss did 'Who do You Think You Are?", he traced his family back to Ireland. There was a sequence in which, for some reason, he visited the grave of Abhartach, an unkillable, blood-drinking 6th Century tyrant.
Bram Stoker, a Dubliner, may have get some inspiration from Abhartach, although there were plenty of vampire legends in Europe.

Gatiss seems to have had a life-long interest in the genre.

Beginning of 3rd episode was weird, when he comes on to the beach Whitby abbey has suddenly moved to North Landing, Flamborough....roughly where the car park is at the top so useful for a beer and no 199 steps to climb.
Then it moves back to Whitby later in the episode. That bit itself must of taken a few years to film, unless they got that Bell end off DIY SOS in! :)

Latest Threads