BBC fishing for stories and opinions?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by untallguy, Jul 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. untallguy

untallguy Old-Salt Reviewer Book Reviewer

A chum had this link sent to him:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/6292656.stm

which seems to be inviting serving soldiers to provide political comment to a media organisation.

Am I becoming crusty or is the BBC fishing for stories and ask soldiers to breach their terms of service by commenting on government policy and speaking to the media? (I am assuming that nobody is going to speak to their CoC before answering!)

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

'Oh & give us your name address & email address.
    We won't tell anyone.'

3. "No material or information that could endanger British personnel will be used."

Is this the BBC we know and love?

4. You can see that at least five minutes thought went into the questions. Possibly the BBC could address a similar poll, directed at every sitting MP. Asking such illuminating questions as:

When was the last time you had personal contact with a member of the armed forces who has served on TELIC / HERRICK?

What contact have you maintained with military families and the military community in your constituancy over the last 12 months.

What do you believe are the most urgent issues facing the armed forces in these operational theatres?

How long do you consider, given the information available, the government will be committing troops to these countries for?

Couldn't quite manage any more in 5 mins, but personally, I would prefer the BBC to ask questions of those allowed to respond, without jeopardising their' careers.

5. I just sent the following comment to the BBC

"You know very well that serving personnel are not allowed to give interviews or comment to the press without the consent of their chain of command. Why therefore are you encouraging them to committ an offence under militar law?"

Will I get a response - I doubt it. You expect this sort of thing from the gutter press, I think we should expect better of the BBC.

6. That's a rather quaint, old fashioned perception of the BBC you've got there, if you don't mind me saying so. I think their reputation went down the tubes some years ago. Gilligan whacked the last nail in.

7. So, err, given that this website has been quoted in the press, and given that journalists are known to frequent it's pages.....

8. True - on the other hand, To the best of my knowledge The CO's don't request the telephone numbers of registering members to authenticate who they are - although, maybe the BBC are just better at these things, should make the BBC's coverage of ID card security interesting!

How does the authentication conversation go?

"Hello, is this John Smith?"

"Yes"

"Ah, hello this is the BBC, you recently responded to a questionaire on the BBC website?"

"Er, yes, that's right"

"You realise that we have to be rigorous in ensuring that our sources are who they say they are? Well, I'm just ringing to confirm that you are in deed, John Smith, formerly John Smith of the Special Air Service Regiment?"

"Er, yep, that's right"

"And you served in Iraq and Afghanistan right?

"Yep, that's right, obviously I can't go into too much detail, because, of the rules, like, and I'd like to remain anonymous, after being photographed on that embassy balcony."

"Oh, ccompletely"

"So, is that it then?"

"Well, yes, thanks so much for your comments about Tony Blair's new home on the outskirts of Basrah being funded by the British tax-payer. Nobody, here had picked up on that one, so, we're bound to run with it, I'll drop you an email to your yahoo email address to let you know where it all goes."

"Yeah, no problem"

"Bye then."

"Yeah, cheers."

9. But I'm John Smith and so's my wife!

10. Sorry for the breach of PERSEC John, and apologies for placing your wife in mortal danger, please tell her to keep her head down in Poole next week.

11. My beer is John Sith's - sh*t, maybe I should give it back.

12. I WONDER WHAT THE QUEEN WOULD HAVE TO SAY ON THIS MATTER

13. Most likely "well done John Smith"

14. Nosher what do you mean by that. Gilligan's report may have been sloppy but he got it right didn't he?

15. Allegedly yes