BBC finance TV for Iranians!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by WasMe, Oct 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I heard this off of a bloke in a pub!!

Is it true?? Are they spending my money on stuff that doesn't benefit me??

2. Well, the bloke in the pub was right!

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Naaahhhh, don't be daft your £100 is safe, I have it on good authority its being spent on Eastenders and other such programmes. My £100 however is being spent entirely on the world service (and perhaps a couple of quid on radio 4 and 5) :twisted:

4. Actually I think the World Service (although part of the BBC) is financed separately from the licence fee. The money comes from the FCO budget so if it makes you feel any better it's your taxes rather than your licence fee. But personally I think it's worth it, the World Service is one of the few things that actually improves the UK's image overseas, something sorely needed these days, especially in the Middle East.

5. Funding, from the Foreign Office, will be on top of the grant-in-aid sum paid each year to the BBC World Service.

so your £100 has gone straight to that graham norton hang your head in shame :twisted:

6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Dang...well then if you catch Graham on a night out in Brighton, make sure he buys you a pint :evil:

7. Whenever I tramp around the world, most often the Middle east and Far East over the years, the BBC is still widely considered a reliable and quality source of information.

The World Service is something of a jewel in the BBC crown, and from my point of view, the more balanced and reasonable points of view we can get out into the world, the greater our influence. If that is in a local language and format, so much the better.