BBC Feels The Chill from Netflix

There's lots of great programmes made in the past that you can't watch unless you pay for them again, because they won't show them or want the revenue from DVD sales.
That's a point - at the purely logical level the BBC should be refunding a portion of the licence fee whenever they show a repeat (qv Dad's Army) as we've already paid (several times over) for those programmes.

By the by, the BBC continues to deny any bias or partiality - to which I have to say to them; if you're not biased then stop spunking our cash away on injunctions and publish the Balen Report.

I think that it's resonably obvious that I'm taking a wild stab in the dark as to what the poster in question was insinuating with his otherwise less-than-clear post.

There's a massive clue at the start:-

"I think [that] he's saying..."
Yes yes yes... I know you said "I think [that] he's saying". I merely enquired as to whether your thinking was impaired by an excess of mind altering chemicals.

According to this article the BBC 'lost' 860,000 license fee payers in 2017/18. This was a record high for the corporation and breaks last year's then record of 798,000 cancellations. The losses in the main are attributed to viewers going over to Netflix, but also I imagine significant losses are also due to the negative publicity it receives over some issues, eg political bias.

Fag packet stats: The current fee is £150.50pa. Multiply that by 860,000 and you get £129,430,000 - a loss of over £129 million in expected income in just one year.

If those figures are correct It would appear that dear old Auntie Beeb is not just bleeding but she's been bashed on the head and is sprawled on the kitchen floor haemorrhaging from every orifice.

The Corporation has tried to stem the flow by increasing the license fee each year with inflation and ceasing free licenses for the elderly, but they will in no-way go to make up for the losses.

Most modern societies have a state funded broadcaster, and I don't expect the BBC to disappear, but unless their figures in improve it will look very different in just a few years time and they'll be in no position to pay pundits £1.75 million to talk over a football game.
Good. The biased BBC deserve everything that is coming their way.
Yes. Some people may say that if the beeb is pissing off so many people, that they must be doing something right. However, this is not my experience of them.
In 2010 when we had the ConLib coalition government. The BBC took over the mantle as Her Majesty's 'Official' Opposition party.
They didn't even try to pretend to be neutral.
C***s.

I would just like to thank all of you that continue to pay for the BBC so that I can watch it in peace and quiet from 3,000 miles away for free. God Bless you !

The Beeb isn't as bad as you think, one thing the Brits do well is make excellent documentary's, if you have ever seen a Canadian doc you would know this, they are absolutely shite and boring. Same thing with Brit TV series, many of them are far better made than anything foreign.

So pay your licence fee bitches !!!
B0ll0cks. Any TV programme produced by the beeb these days is far inferior to anything made even in the US.
Top Gear for example was - until Clarkson, May, and Hammond left the only thing that the beeb did well.
The only thing worth watching on the beeb these days is Question Time. And even that has a left wing political slant.

In the days of analogue Sky and F1 on ITV, when ITV broke for adverts, I'd instantly flick to Deutsche Sport Fernsehen and watch the exact same feed, but with Boxhead commentary. In those days I cared enough and my Salmon Trout wasn't too rusty to translate anything spoken for the benefit of my F1 loving daughter. I never once found a Boxhead advert break clashing with an ITV advert break. I'd often forget to switch back after 4 minutes.

Then one day I flicked from ITV to DSF as an ad break cut in, but instantly on DSF Schumacher piled into the wall of champions in Canada. ITV missed it by the blink of an eye. I timed the switch back to ITV perfectly and felt déjà vu as Schumacher piled into the wall of champions again.

ITV passed it off as live. Lying twunts.
Maybe because the clocks were one hour behind.:?:?:rolleyes:

if that were the case, sadly It isn't. Theres adverts for other BBC productions and associated shite between every programme.
It's hardly to the extent that ITV shove demands for us to spend a mint on the latest fad coffee capsule machine or pensioner insurance or underpowered poxboxes on wheels (stand fast, Vauxhall; parade faaall out!) down our throats, and it's between programmes not several times throughout them.

They do seem to have picked up the irritating ITV habit of starting a movie at 2100hrs and then putting a 45min break in it for the news, local news and weather, though. Praise be for DVRs and their edit functions!

According to this article the BBC 'lost' 860,000 license fee payers in 2017/18. This was a record high for the corporation and breaks last year's then record of 798,000 cancellations. The losses in the main are attributed to viewers going over to Netflix, but also I imagine significant losses are also due to the negative publicity it receives over some issues, eg political bias.

Fag packet stats: The current fee is £150.50pa. Multiply that by 860,000 and you get £129,430,000 - a loss of over £129 million in expected income in just one year.

Chicken feed, the BBC raised 3.8 billion from the extortion sorry licence fee in 2017/18. Sooner they can it the better, I recent every penny.

B0ll0cks. Any TV programme produced by the beeb these days is far inferior to anything made even in the US.
Top Gear for example was - until Clarkson, May, and Hammond left the only thing that the beeb did well.
The only thing worth watching on the beeb these days is Question Time. And even that has a left wing political slant.
Well, if you can only quote Top Gear and Question time as examples of 'great documentaries' then I would suggest that you have a hard on for the BBC that goes far beyond any programming faults they may have.

Well, if you can only quote Top Gear and Question time as examples of 'great documentaries' then I would suggest that you have a hard on for the BBC that goes far beyond any programming faults they may have.
I used the top BBC programmes as an example. That is all.

I reckon they may have done the David Attenborough wildlife programmes pretty well also and another one coming up which I will look forward to.
Blue Planet especially.
The OH, like another poster said, reckons Call The Midwife is also excellent as is Death in Paradise.
The recent Les Mis was another very well done programme along with some of their other historical stuff.
OK, a lot of dross but there's a few worth watching.
Can't see how you included QT, though. Got rather biased in the way it picked audiences.
And Top Gear must be a pretty niche market to be honest.
Not all bad and the commercial channels are also guilty of pumping out dross.

Anything Attenborough are the only other worthies that spring immediately to mind.

You can't even trust Panorama these days.

And Top Gear must be a pretty niche market to be honest.
Niche - but so very, very lucrative with that team and format. Look at the money Amazon throw at them, and look at how shit the BBC continuation effort now is. ArRSers turning off in droves. Droves, I tell you!

Anything Attenborough are the only other worthies that spring immediately to mind.

You can't even trust Panorama these days.
Good point re Attenborough but he's pretty much on his last legs. Like the KFC colonel he's a great selling point/front man but I'd be interested to know how many of the camera crews who actually do the work are BBC employees.

ugly

LE
I'd love to ditch the license fee, its not a great broadcaster anymore and most of the few decent programs are sourced externally. Its a cheek about not being able to watch itv etc when you stop paying, Ive recently been converted to ITV's deama content, some is crap but some is actually better and tends to portray the drama rather than amend the period view of the time into a PC view of what we think it should be.
I may be knocking it on the head and binning the aerial connection as we use the fire stick to get what we want. Its also a shame that freeview is taxed through the BBC license fee. I wonder if we can counter sue the BBC for making us pay for freeview?

ugly

LE
Good point re Attenborough but he's pretty much on his last legs. Like the KFC colonel he's a great selling point/front man but I'd be interested to know how many of the camera crews who actually do the work are BBC employees.
I'd rather watch David Bellamy if he was allowed back on TV

To be fair my Mrs bought ''Call the midwife'', (in German obviously) which after much nagging i also watched.
I found it to be very well made indeed and really enjoyed all five seasons!
I was forced to watch that utter Shiite a couple of Christmases ago as we had family over. Fcuk my tin hat it was drivel.

Mate, sadly you’re beyond help. May suggest a stroll with the Mess Webley.:p

To be fair my Mrs bought ''Call the midwife'', (in German obviously) which after much nagging i also watched.
I found it to be very well made indeed and really enjoyed all five seasons!
Call the midwife, seriously? My missus also likes this, I’ve christened it call the Samaritans. The bits that I’ve seen have to be some of the most morose TV ever. Also another vehicle for the PC agenda. I was unlucky enough to catch two minutes of last nights programme, the scene consisted of a woman led on her back whilst a brusque white male doctor roughly forces her legs apart and proceeds to probe and comment for the benefit of a bunch of ogling white male (presumably student) doctors with all the compassion of Klaus Barbie. I know it’s meant to be the nineteen sixties and I accept that most doctors then were probably white males but come on.
On the other hand, the Beeb continues to make some brilliant documentaries and factual stuff, sadly most of it languishes on the more obscure channels.

Latest Threads