BBC Feels The Chill from Netflix

I have to wonder just how much revenue it cost them alone in overseas rights sales and merchandise when they let a spiteful, agenda-driven hobgoblin drive off Clarkson, May and Hammond.
That really was the jewel in the crown.
The humbuggery of the Beeb makes me want to weep - Clarkson lamps somebody, and gets the boot, with much gum-bumping from the Beeb about not tolerating folk getting lamped, etc etc etc, and every moonhowler leaping onto the bandwagon and accusing Clarkson of sexism, racism, pulling the legs off flies, devil worship etc
Yet within a few months, he was back on BBC in HIGNFY etc etc etc.
"overseas rights sales and merchandise" - there was a Saffer version of Top Gear magazine. It was a HUGE money maker.
Closed now.

As an aside, if you visit certain piracy sites and want to download British TV shows, do NOT type BBC into the search box.

I think he's saying that the BBC solution to falling revenue due to losing licence fee-payers is not to up their game and make their content what people actually want to watch, without an obvious agenda or over-use of right-on yoghurt-knitting and PC, but to suggest strongly and with much pressure that HMG taxes imposes the licence fee on broadband internet connections instead.
Really... do you really think that or are you just guessing wildly whilst heavily under the influence of hallucinatory cleaning products?

STOP PRESS

National security remains under threat today after Bletchley Park's Colossus reportedly melted last night. The incident occured during attempts to decipher a heavily encrypted message published on the popular website Arrse last night.

Last edited:
For a supposedly struggling BBC they have decided they have to take over UKTV without sharing it with anyone. Not sure why when Dave has been doing fairly well what bbc3 did badly and was got rid of for only a couple of years ago. It's as though the BBC can't help repeating their mistakes. But apparently it's all done and dusted UKTV CEO quits as BBC prepares to take full control of broadcaster

Farewell Red Dwarf which actually made me laugh again once they got away from being told they needed a female main character... Goodbye zapped.

For a supposedly struggling BBC they have decided they have to take over UKTV without sharing it with anyone. Not sure why when Dave has been doing fairly well what bbc3 did badly and was got rid of for only a couple of years ago. It's as though the BBC can't help repeating their mistakes. But apparently it's all done and dusted UKTV CEO quits as BBC prepares to take full control of broadcaster
Farewell Red Dwarf which actually made me laugh again once they got away from being told they needed a female main character... Goodbye zapped.
The BBC are joint owners of UKTV,and they helped to create the channel in 1992.

According to this article the BBC 'lost' 860,000 license fee payers in 2017/18. This was a record high for the corporation and breaks last year's then record of 798,000 cancellations. The losses in the main are attributed to viewers going over to Netflix, but also I imagine significant losses are also due to the negative publicity it receives over some issues, eg political bias.

Fag packet stats: The current fee is £150.50pa. Multiply that by 860,000 and you get £129,430,000 - a loss of over £129 million in expected income in just one year.

If those figures are correct It would appear that dear old Auntie Beeb is not just bleeding but she's been bashed on the head and is sprawled on the kitchen floor haemorrhaging from every orifice.

The Corporation has tried to stem the flow by increasing the license fee each year with inflation and ceasing free licenses for the elderly, but they will in no-way go to make up for the losses.

Most modern societies have a state funded broadcaster, and I don't expect the BBC to disappear, but unless their figures in improve it will look very different in just a few years time and they'll be in no position to pay pundits £1.75 million to talk over a football game.
The Germans are once again ahead of the game,here every household pays for a TV license whether they have a telly or not. The logic being if you don't watch TV they you'll watch something else on your Laptop which also has a broadcasting Copyright. Pity they weren't so strict with who they let into the country.:rolleyes:

The humbuggery of the Beeb makes me want to weep - Clarkson lamps somebody, and gets the boot, with much gum-bumping from the Beeb about not tolerating folk getting lamped, etc etc etc, and every moonhowler leaping onto the bandwagon and accusing Clarkson of sexism, racism, pulling the legs off flies, devil worship etc.
But what about his bad side?

I hope the BBC dies. It's little more than propaganda now as the lefty bias is shoehorned into everything. I haven't watched the BBC in almost a decade and no longer pay a portion of Gary Lineker's salary. It's ridiculous that in this day and age I have to pay a licence fee to watch TV and have that fee fund something I don't use and fundamentally disagree with. It's akin to forcing me to pay for a subscription to the Guardian.

Unfortunately they'll make the fee compulsory by adding it to council tax or internet charges.

There's lots of great programmes made in the past that you can't watch unless you pay for them again, because they won't show them or want the revenue from DVD sales.

Current TV licencing arrangements suited very well BBC for a long time but now they are taking a hit looking for other ways to fund themselves. Oddly enough don't fancy a subscription model so for time being still ploughing on with the Licence.

Have to ask yourself who would actually want to do this?

The Role | Visiting Officers | Capita TVL

The BBC have probably, instead of focusing on broadcasting being spunking all the money from licence fees on compo claims for all the publicly sponsored kiddie fiddling over the years!!!
Just though I would chuck that point in.
Then have the bottle to focus on diversity, I don't think they could diversify further from the norm unless they started a Snuff movie channel.

I suppose we should be grateful for ad-free TV - and for commercial channels that are regulated to a maximum number of minutes of ads per hour - unlike my experience of colonial TV where between programmes there was a ten minute ad break followed by a couple of minutes of opening titles for the next programme followed by another interminably long ad-break. Then you get about five minutes of the programme and then it's - you've guessed it! - another loooooong ad break; rinse and repeat.

No wonder they were all gushing over their shiny then-new TiVO boxes when I was going over there regularly.
if that were the case, sadly It isn't. Theres adverts for other BBC productions and associated shite between every programme.

I wholly agree about Canadian documentaries being unbelievably bad, but there are two exceptions. Norm Christie did a superb six-part series called "For King and Empire" about the CEF in WWI, and then "For King and Country" about the Canadian army in WWII, and they're all on youtube.

As for the beeb, to be honest, even though it was made a little over 10 years ago, I couldn't even see them daring to try to make Life on Mars nowadays, and if they did, Gene Hunt would really be toned down.
Id love to see how they coped with Love Thy Neighbour or Til Death Us Do Part

if that were the case, sadly It isn't. Theres adverts for other BBC productions and associated shite between every programme.
The bold bit is the important one. An hour programme on the BBC is actually an hour of TV, not the 40 minutes of content and 20 minutes of ads on other channels.

Watch a film on the BBC - you get an hour and a half of the film, not the 2 and a quarter hours on other channels with 45 minutes of crap spread throughout.

Or, topically, the Six Nations. ITV haven't quite gone down the American route of advert breaks every 10 minutes but they would if they could.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
ITV haven't quite gone down the American route of advert breaks every 10 minutes but they would if they could.
In the days of analogue Sky and F1 on ITV, when ITV broke for adverts, I'd instantly flick to Deutsche Sport Fernsehen and watch the exact same feed, but with Boxhead commentary. In those days I cared enough and my Salmon Trout wasn't too rusty to translate anything spoken for the benefit of my F1 loving daughter. I never once found a Boxhead advert break clashing with an ITV advert break. I'd often forget to switch back after 4 minutes.

Then one day I flicked from ITV to DSF as an ad break cut in, but instantly on DSF Schumacher piled into the wall of champions in Canada. ITV missed it by the blink of an eye. I timed the switch back to ITV perfectly and felt déjà vu as Schumacher piled into the wall of champions again.

ITV passed it off as live. Lying twunts.

Really... do you really think that or are you just guessing wildly whilst heavily under the influence of hallucinatory cleaning products?

STOP PRESS

National security remains under threat today after Bletchley Park's Colossus reportedly melted last night. The incident occured during attempts to decipher a heavily encrypted message published on the popular website Arrse last night.
I think that it's resonably obvious that I'm taking a wild stab in the dark as to what the poster in question was insinuating with his otherwise less-than-clear post.

There's a massive clue at the start:-

"I think [that] he's saying..."

Latest Threads