BBC: "Falklands Veteran 'Forced Out Over Sexuality' Will Get Medal Back"

That's the point being made.... it wasn't current thinking in the real world. What was so special about the military that necessitated the continuation of the ban?
You mean like the Army bans beards long hair and all sort of other outdated bollocks?

I know some people like to look through rose tinted glasses on here and think that openly gay bloke did and are joining up. In 2000 quite a few got filled in. Even now the there are very few openly gay men serving.

I've always wondered why the merchant navy was included in the exception to decriminalisation. What are you going to blackmail the 2nd Mate of a banana boat about?

His fabulous shoes?

You mean like the Army bans beards long hair and all sort of other outdated bollocks?

I know some people like to look through rose tinted glasses on here and think that openly gay bloke did and are joining up. In 2000 quite a few got filled in. Even now the there are very few openly gay men serving.

Peak whataboutery…

Beards can interfere with gas masks, not quite sure how being gay interferes with wearing a gas mask, unless you ascribe to the belief that all bears had beards so a beard ban would remove 50% of micreants at a stroke

Last edited:
I've always wondered why the merchant navy was included in the exception to decriminalisation. What are you going to blackmail the 2nd Mate of a banana boat about?

Coz in the event of proper fisticuffs, we'd could come under RN disciple and we might infect proper 'ero's with teh ghey or other slackness.

Its just an example of the rule by dinosaurs that infested the military at the time. Funnily enough, having gays, and GASP! Women aboard never stopped MN ships doing their business during WWII - I mean, bloody hell, 50 odd of MN women crew were KIA and some even won medals for bravery under fire in WWII.

I mean, could you imagine the effect on RN discipline if some gay Marconi radio officer stayed at his post sending out a final situation report while his ship sank under him?

Peak whataboutery…

Beards can interfere with gas masks, not quite sure how being gay interferes with wearing a gas mask, unless you ascribe to the belief that all bears had beards so a beard ban would remove 50% of micreants at a stroke
If that why you are allowed beards in the navy and Raf. And if you are a certain religion or appointment or have a medical condition or are female you can have a beard in the Army? Any thing else that you have no experiance of in the military that you wish to comment on?

If that why you are allowed beards in the navy and Raf. And if you are a certain religion or appointment or have a medical condition or are female you can have a beard in the Army? Any thing else that you have no experiance of in the military that you wish to comment on?
traditions dear boy, traditions.

and did you meet many bearded Army ladies?

I
Any thing else that you have no experiance of in the military that you wish to comment on?
earth calling the stacker...... as noted Above, we came under the SAME rules as the Armed Forces.

earth calling the stacker...... as noted Above, we came under the SAME rules as the Armed Forces.
But you were never in the armed forces. that's why you were talking bollocks about beards.

traditions dear boy, traditions.

and did you meet many bearded Army ladies?
What "tradition" is being clean shaven?

Yes I have, one of the girls serving in Aghanistan had some rare problem that resulted in her having a beard.

endure

GCM

Actually we came under slightly different rules. It wasn't until 2017 that it became illegal to fire somebody from their job in the merch simply because they were gay.

I think the Equality Act 2010 applied to the armed forces as far as that was concerned.

morsk

LE
"Joe Ousalice, 68, served as a radio operator for 18 years but was discharged in 1993 because of a ban of LGBT people in the armed forces.
LGBT wasn't invented then

Beachdaze2

Clanker
Anybody entering theatre in a role where wearing a respirator is a likely requirement is expected to be clean shaven - irrespective of gender and religion (or sexuality).

Anybody entering theatre in a role where wearing a respirator is a likely requirement is expected to be clean shaven - irrespective of gender and religion (or sexuality).
When was the last time you saw a Sikh ordered to shave?

Also what does that have to do with Beardyprof being wrong as plenty of "special" people have beards in the Army?

Actually we came under slightly different rules. It wasn't until 2017 that it became illegal to fire somebody from their job in the merch simply because they were gay.

I think the Equality Act 2010 applied to the armed forces as far as that was concerned.
I was referring to regs if we were called up for war service.

as for gays in the Merchant Navy?
never enforced ‘leave that stuff on the jetty’ in my experience.
I had openly gay cadets in my intake, mid 70’s, openly gay Officer and crew aboard... the world went on Turning.

we even had a couple of Trannies in BP.... I could post a pic, but Stackers head would explode.;)

What "tradition" is being clean shaven?

Yes I have, one of the girls serving in Aghanistan had some rare problem that resulted in her having a beard.

Only one?

Anyway, from 1860 to 1916, the British Army imposed the requirement to have a moustache.

I had openly gay cadets in my intake, mid 70’s, openly gay Officer and crew aboard... the world went on Turning.

we even had a couple of Trannies in BP.... I could post a pic, but Stackers head would explode.;)
What the **** do I care about the merchant navy?

Only one?

Anyway, from 1860 to 1916, the British Army imposed the requirement to have a moustache.
So it appears someone was waffling about tradition then. No surprise there.

So it appears someone was waffling about tradition then. No surprise there.
a more recent tradition, prior to the 1860 rule I think it was uncommon for the common soldier to grow facial hair.

a quick google brings up

Command Nº 1,695 of the King’s Regulations in 1906.

The hair of the head will be kept short. The chin and the under-lip will be shaved, but not the upper lip. Whiskers, if worn, will be of moderate length.

Despite how it may appear, no. Far from it my friend.

I'm a relatively senior Cop of vintage years, working in an environment where being anything other than a heterosexual, white bloke is a positive professional bonus. In fact, had I been more on the ball with it, I'm sure I could of squeezed at least one more jump up the ladder had I bothered to join the rainbow bandwagon. I know lots who have; some are genuine, some aren't.

Do I feel a need to grandstand in order to display my viewpoint an such matters? No. My close colleagues would be the first to tell you that I'm unusually private - I spend little time discussing my private life with others and have next to zero interweb footprint. This esteemed blog site is the only place I occasionally choose to leave comments and I only really come here for the slightly offball shits and giggles.

Irrespective of their physical, sexual, political and emotional attributes, people are people. Genuinely decent people will generally be decent in most matters of their life. The dickeads amongst us will likely be just that, *********. Sexuality in any of its current (and often shifting) forms will make no difference.

For what it's worth, I have little time for those who cloak themselves in the alphabet soup of gender/sexual politics for the simple reason that I think they're wrong. I don't think you can categorise sexuality in any meaningful way because we're all different. The only sexuality that I have any understanding of is mine. I would like to think that I have a better than average understanding of my partners sexuality but it won't be complete and never can be - only she can know and understand it. In a room full of 20 people, there will be 20+ sexual beings - it's not necessarily a static state.

Why did I choose to comment on this guys predicament? Because I think he and all the others in HMF who suffered because of the sexuality were wronged - it's as simple as that.
See.... I f*****g TOLD you you should've marched in that Gay Pride Parade with the Assistant Chief Constable when he asked you... but would you listen??

Sent from my A41 using Griddle

Last edited:

endure

GCM

The fact that the merch didn't worry about it doesn't mean that it wasn't a criminal offence which could put people in prison.

Latest Threads