BBC Drama - Vigil...already baffled

TamH70

MIA
This came up on my feed today and might interest some of you. Confusingly, they are both called Akula! However, NATO classify the big bugger as Typhoon and the little fast shit as Akula, so no more confusion.

245084472_1039646516599705_7775664188333289058_n.jpg

More here:

One ping only, Vassili.

This came up on my feed today and might interest some of you. Confusingly, they are both called Akula! However, NATO classify the big bugger as Typhoon and the little fast shit as Akula, so no more confusion.

245084472_1039646516599705_7775664188333289058_n.jpg

More here:

That picture reminds me. I went to sea on an RFA in '93 as part of an Ark Royal led task group to the Adriatic. We were all very impressed with Ark Royal......until USS JFK (I think it was.....septic carrier anyway) turned up.
Looked a lot like that picture.

syrup

LE
That picture reminds me. I went to sea on an RFA in '93 as part of an Ark Royal led task group to the Adriatic. We were all very impressed with Ark Royal......until USS JFK (I think it was.....septic carrier anyway) turned up.
Looked a lot like that picture.

Old Ark Royal parked in the U.S. in the 70's next to the U.S.S. Nimitz.

full

I do not even know if this BBC farce is still being broadcast. I am even less interested to know! However . . .

Just watched the followoing . . . very interesting, and well worth a couple of hours viewing . . . 'thou I'm not sure where you would (now) find it.

If you can suspend belief of the Captain keeping his Jack Russel dog on board (not a euphemism !), and at least a couple of officers smoking tobacco whilst submerged . . . also, not a euphemism !! ;) .

Last edited:
Crimson Tide is in many ways just as 'bad' as Vigil!

Any submarine based movie must have sets large enough for camera crews and actors etc. Remember these are movies or TV series designed to entertain - not documentaries about life in submarines.

There are plenty of good TV series on YouTube showing how things really are (mostly!) on boats. Even a lot of RN based ones! Until last week smoking was permitted on RN boats. It has now been stopped.

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
Crimson Tide is in many ways just as 'bad' as Vigil!

Any submarine based movie must have sets large enough for camera crews and actors etc. Remember these are movies or TV series designed to entertain - not documentaries about life in submarines.

There are plenty of good TV series on YouTube showing how things really are (mostly!) on boats. Even a lot of RN based ones! Until last week smoking was permitted on RN boats. It has now been stopped.

When Crimson Tide released, back in Usenet days, there was debate about how realistic (or not) it was - the one point fairly well liked, was the firefighting sequence. Much of the rest was dismissed by US submariners as "nope, wouldn't or couldn't do that".

As one participant put it, he far preferred Kelsey Grammar's comedy "Down Periscope!" which - while being an out-and-out comedy - actually caught more of the small interactions and details of submarine life, and mocked others, and got the personalities right; he said of the USS Stingray's crew that "I recognise all of them, I just never served with them all on the same boat at the same time..."

syrup

LE
When Crimson Tide released, back in Usenet days, there was debate about how realistic (or not) it was - the one point fairly well liked, was the firefighting sequence. Much of the rest was dismissed by US submariners as "nope, wouldn't or couldn't do that".

As one participant put it, he far preferred Kelsey Grammar's comedy "Down Periscope!" which - while being an out-and-out comedy - actually caught more of the small interactions and details of submarine life, and mocked others, and got the personalities right; he said of the USS Stingray's crew that "I recognise all of them, I just never served with them all on the same boat at the same time..."

The U.S. Navy withdrew any co-operation with the makers of Crimson Tide due to the storyline.
The actual footage of the submarines were filmed by flying a helicopter round the waters by the Submarines bases and filming any they saw in the open without any Navy permission

Latest Threads