BBC Drama - Vigil...already baffled

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I particularly enjoyed the firing drill.

At the most critical moment in the boat's mission, when she would be at most vulnerable and really, really not want to be detected, the constant alarm klaxon might not be the best idea!
Obviously, it's a stealth klaxon.

At the most critical moment in the boat's mission, when she would be at most vulnerable and really, really not want to be detected, the constant alarm klaxon might not be the best idea!
It’s bad enough in the WW2 films when the U-boat is hovering above them. Then someone knocks a spoon off the table.Talk about dirty looks.

Last edited:

Fedaykin

Old-Salt

Well there is that albeit the show runner did resist the urge to have the constant pinging of a WW2 ASDIC set in the control room which is a common feature for any film or drama set on a submarine.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've been legless down a boat many times if that helps....... :cool:

ETA - seriously, at the moment she is not a legitimate museum, hence needing to make an appointment. So there will be no special visitor measures. If you can get through the 28inch access hatch and down a vertical ladder or two you'll be fine.

HMS Courageous | Devonport Naval Heritage Centre

https://devonportnhc.wordpress.com › warshiptours

Anyone can through a hatch and down a ladder, it's the surviving the landing and getting out again that he might struggle with!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been legless down a boat many times if that helps....... :cool:

ETA - seriously, at the moment she is not a legitimate museum, hence needing to make an appointment. So there will be no special visitor measures. If you can get through the 28inch access hatch and down a vertical ladder or two you'll be fine.

HMS Courageous | Devonport Naval Heritage Centre

https://devonportnhc.wordpress.com › warshiptours
A 28inch hatch, I think that will rule every fecker out on here let alone poor @dingerr

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I think that's 28" diameter, not circumference, you should be alright. That would be an almost 90" waist before you made it airtight.
I was wondering :scratch:

You’ve lost me there I’m afraid.:scratch:
"It ain't no use in calling out my name, gal
Like you never done before
It ain't no use in calling out my name, gal
I can't hear you any more
I'm a-thinking and a-wond'rin' walking down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
Don't think twice, it's all right."

"It ain't no use in calling out my name, gal
Like you never done before
It ain't no use in calling out my name, gal
I can't hear you any more
I'm a-thinking and a-wond'rin' walking down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I'm told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
Don't think twice, it's all right."
You're on fire today.

Awol

LE
It's another example of "Gell-Mann Amnesia".
“Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.
In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.”
I said the exact same thing in another thread recently. If they cover a subject you know intimately, you’ll notice innumerable errors, which begs the question what else is wrong with all the other reporting?

...what else is wrong with all the other reporting?

Lazy/piss-poor/nonexistent/biased research, as is quite evident in pretty much all MSM output. It no longer informs, rather the narrative is dumbed down to hook the masses and slanted to influence their opinion.

Awol

LE
Went to see a sub in Spain, Master F and myself the only Brita.
Tour guide would take the group of tourists into each section. All crowded together and give a 5 minute talk in rapid Spanish before a single word in English to us such as Periscope, Torpedo, Engine.

Luckily I had seen and read Das Boot so was an expert on the subject!
Tarragona? I noticed one on a plinth on the beach years ago when I was hitchhiking down to Gib.

There were no labels on the thing so I had no idea if it was a Uboat or anything else, but it was an impressive thing to suddenly come across.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Tarragona? I noticed one on a plinth on the beach years ago when I was hitchhiking down to Gib.

There were no labels on the thing so I had no idea if it was a Uboat or anything else, but it was an impressive thing to suddenly come across.

Can't remember where it was but was floating in a harbour.

There's an old one on a plinth at Cartagena but you can't get inside

Truxx

LE
On the subject of "diversity".

I sit on the council of a national charity. In order to publicise the work of the charity we have attracted a TV production company who are pitching a series on our work to Ch4. Who are very keen.

So far so good.

The Council met on Tuesday for a regular board meeting and were briefed, by the producer and presenter (a reasonably well known person)

Long story short the production company have now been appraised of the Ch4 diversity requirement. Part of which, and this apparently was in writing, was that no new programme or production would be comissioned or broadcast unless either the main presenter, or co-presenter, was BAME.

Full stop. No ifs or buts.

I would love to get my hands on a copy of that written policy.

Latest Threads