BBC Drama - Vigil...already baffled

Back in the '90s the National Maritime Museum in Sydney had an ex-Soviet Foxtrot which could be toured. I took my (primary school-aged) daughter along and she was fascinated, which surprised me. I was just horrified.
The RAN O type boat is pretty cool in Freemantle next to the maritine musuem. HMAS Ovens. The guide was an ex RN/RAN Jock.

I'm looking forward to next week's episode, hoping for a full-frontal lesbian shower scene complete with handcuffs and strapon dildos.
I suspect that I will end up feeling let down.

arcticfox042

War Hero
I'm looking forward to next week's episode, hoping for a full-frontal lesbian shower scene complete with handcuffs and strapon dildos.
I suspect that I will end up feeling let down.
Typical day under the waves for Jack..........

OF4 would be right.

Anti nuclear, anti American/NATO, and anti Union nonsense. I mean presenting reactor meltdowns and a SCRAM as normal events, our SSBN being tracked by the Americans, snagging a trawler....

Not quite the same as Pte Tucker wearing the wrong insignia.
Crikey..I meant OF-5. If only I could type.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back in the '90s the National Maritime Museum in Sydney had an ex-Soviet Foxtrot which could be toured. I took my (primary school-aged) daughter along and she was fascinated, which surprised me. I was just horrified.

Went to see a sub in Spain, Master F and myself the only Brita.
Tour guide would take the group of tourists into each section. All crowded together and give a 5 minute talk in rapid Spanish before a single word in English to us such as Periscope, Torpedo, Engine.

Luckily I had seen and read Das Boot so was an expert on the subject!

Truxx

LE
Back when the MSM had proper Defence Correspondents, that was an open secret . Nobody was sworn to secrecy about it.
Of course, when it was decided to close Greenwich, the inevitable question was asked: what’s going to happen to the reactor?
I don’t recall seeing any articles about moving it out, or any attendant nause.
Sometimes def corrs, then, knew to keep their traps shut for the greater good.
Ken Livingstone certainly knew about it. He used to drink with us in the wardroom and would routinely be told about it by some junior officer in their cups.

This programme get on ma tits its rubbish, but what really gets me is the fact that i cant stop watching it !!

Only to see how much more excruciating the plot can get so we can take the piss out of it. And to perv at the ginger bird natch.

Went to see a sub in Spain, Master F and myself the only Brita.
Tour guide would take the group of tourists into each section. All crowded together and give a 5 minute talk in rapid Spanish before a single word in English to us such as Periscope, Torpedo, Engine.

Luckily I had seen and read Das Boot so was an expert on the subject!
There is a U-Boat on Merseyside. Birkenhead, me thinks.

I hope you lot all watched 'Submarine' on Channel 5 last night. Note the expanses of white paint, the passageways where one must turn 90 degrees to pass someone coming the other way, the 'compact' Control Room etc. In fact the antithesis of Vigil.

Sadly (I know someone onboard) shock horror, one of the incidents was staged.......

Hope you claustrophobes (is that a word?) that don't like tanks or other confined spaces enjoyed it. In general that was a good fly on the wall documentary. Looking forward to next week's episode, though the new skipper looks a bit 'interesting'.....

PS If anyone does wants to look round a UK SSN, HMS Courageous is open to visitors in Plymouth Dockyard BY APPOINTMENT.

TamH70

MIA
I hope you lot all watched 'Submarine' on Channel 5 last night. Note the expanses of white paint, the passageways where one must turn 90 degrees to pass someone coming the other way, the 'compact' Control Room etc. In fact the antithesis of Vigil.

Sadly (I know someone onboard) shock horror, one of the incidents was staged.......

Hope you claustrophobes (is that a word?) that don't like tanks or other confined spaces enjoyed it. In general that was a good fly on the wall documentary. Looking forward to next week's episode, though the new skipper looks a bit 'interesting'.....

PS If anyone does wants to look round a UK SSN, HMS Courageous is open to visitors in Plymouth Dockyard BY APPOINTMENT.

Has it still got its "World's Biggest Kettle" fitted?

There is a U-Boat on Merseyside. Birkenhead, me thinks.
article-0-14048C55000005DC-994_308x185.jpg

I did suspect the staging of an incident, still dramatic though and I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary. Strangely reassuring to find that my mental picture of life aboard a modern submarine seems far closer to reality than the HMS Vigil version, although I missed the absence of a "Captain's receptionist". Good to catch a glimpse of HMS Sutherland at sea.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I particularly enjoyed the firing drill.

At the most critical moment in the boat's mission, when she would be at most vulnerable and really, really not want to be detected, the constant alarm klaxon might not be the best idea!

Latest Threads