BBC Drama - Vigil...already baffled

Fedaykin

Old-Salt
Watching episode 1 on iPlayer and a few minutes in and i am already baffled! Correct me if I am wrong but...

• Why are they talking about a turf war with Holyrood? Defence is a reserved matter that the Scottish Parliament has no say in!
  • Why are they sending a DI from Police Scotland when this is in the jurisdiction of the Royal Navy Police I presume?
  • Why are they even sending a DI if it is a suspected drug overdose? Would they not stick the body into the freezer and make investigations when they came off patrol?!
Oh and the set is a joke! Apparently the show creator said he used the Hunt for Red October as an inspiration for the set and they had no drawings or pictures to help design the set...this despite the BBC filming a documentary on a Vanguard class sub, multiple news reports filed on the class and there being many pictures of the interior in the public domain!

cam net

Old-Salt
Watching episode 1 on iPlayer and a few minutes in and i am already baffled! Correct me if I am wrong but...

• Why are they talking about a turf war with Holyrood? Defence is a reserved matter that the Scottish Parliament has no say in!
  • Why are they sending a DI from Police Scotland when this is in the jurisdiction of the Royal Navy Police I presume?
  • Why are they even sending a DI if it is a suspected drug overdose? Would they not stick the body into the freezer and make investigations when they came off patrol?!
Oh and the set is a joke! Apparently the show creator said he used the Hunt for Red October as an inspiration for the set and they had no drawings or pictures to help design the set...this despite the BBC filming a documentary on a Vanguard class sub, multiple news reports filed on the class and there being many pictures of the interior in the public dom
bbc, drama, baffled.
You're really asking that question? I ask that when the pricks 'report' the news.

I think the biggest plot hole is the fact that they can rendezvous at sea with a helo to land someone on board but weren't able to do exactly the same thing to disembark a dead body.

FFS they wouldn't even have needed to come to the surface at the rendezvous point, just pop the body into a once-only suit, give it a life jacket and send out of a tube for a dope-on-a-rope to pick it up out of the oggin.

I think the biggest plot hole is the fact that they can rendezvous at sea with a helo to land someone on board but weren't able to do exactly the same thing to disembark a dead body.

FFS they wouldn't even have needed to come to the surface at the rendezvous point, just pop the body into a once-only suit, give it a life jacket and send out of a tube for a dope-on-a-rope to pick it up out of the oggin.

Can be a ticklish op though.

Oh and the set is a joke! Apparently the show creator said he used the Hunt for Red October as an inspiration for the set and they had no drawings or pictures to help design the set...this despite the BBC filming a documentary on a Vanguard class sub, multiple news reports filed on the class and there being many pictures of the interior in the public domain!
Yeah and Garvey and Tucker aren’t even in it until episode 4, and Nancy is RMP not Navy! The whole program is a joke now!

As a sundodger, yes, it was a tad unrealistic! BUT - it is BBC drama, not a documentary.

To me, it was like when someone calls a green vehicle with a gun 'a tank'!

ALLEGEDLY the MoD would not let the production team use any RN equipment - hence all the badges on uniforms and even font on name tags (and the Landrover!) are wrong and look really weird. Even the cap tally font has been changed.

The size of the bunk was correct!

Also, I hope Andrew Wing, a brilliant artist from Gosport, gets a pat on the back for the cut away cartoon of the boat which is above the skipper's desk I have a signed original from one of my boats. Very clever chap.

syrup

LE

I think he's used the Hunt for Red October for more than just the set.

She's clearly a watered down version of Alec Baldwin facing a hostile captain I expect she'll guess the direction of the crazy Ivan turn about 15 minutes in shouldn't be hard he's towing a trawler behind him.
The Black Girl is the sonar genius same as the black lad.
The Captain and XO clearly have secrets from the rest of the crew.
They've gone a bit early with the reactor issue.

They appear to have a 50 year old cook and a receptionist who makes shipboard announcements for them.

Naturally she couldn't just turn up and carry out an investigation she has to have personal issues including anxiety what could possibly got wrong?

It isn't Das Boot nor NCIS

Don’t know what you mean - they nailed it:

BBC set designers:
182AD713-AE09-4762-A8F3-33D1D757E76E.jpeg

Real thing:
7F9CA63F-2461-42C8-A4FD-5F96CA2A2917.jpeg

On your first question, the somewhat implausible “turf war” would have been, not about the defence function, but the responsibility for civil investigation of a death occurring as they said “in UK waters” - that portion of UK waters off Scotland. Scottish police would investigate for example a military range death in Scotland, separate from the usual service inquiry. Oh and the deceased was of Scottish domicile! Otherwise I tend to agree, but it wasn’t a documentary.

Suranne Jones has a repertoire of three expressions.

It's a BBC drama, why would yiu expect it to be anything other than shite....

Latest Threads