BBC Drama - Occupation

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Good CO, Jun 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

The BBC have asked me to post this, which sounds ripe for some ARRSE honest comment!

Occupation will start on BBC One on Tuesday the 16th of June at 9:00pm,
    episode 2 will go out on Wednesday the 17th of June at 9:00pm and the
    final episode will go out on Wednesday the 18th of June at 9:00pm

Occupation is a searingly powerful drama that spans the five years following the invasion of Iraq in 2003. It follows the lives of three soldiers and friends, first during the battle for Basra, then as they struggle to adapt to life back home, then finally as very different forces draw them back to Iraq.

The BBC's first major drama set against the backdrop of the Iraq war, Occupation is an unforgettable journey into the heart of the darkness that is conflict and its chaotic aftermath. During the invasion of Iraq in April 2003, three British soldiers from the same unit come under cross-fire in a Basra flat; there an explosion has huge consequences for an Iraqi girl, and will radically shape the lives of Danny, Mike and Hibbs over the coming years.

Failing to adjust to civilian life in Manchester, each for his own reasons is inspired to return to Basra, one for money, one for love, and one because he passionately believes in the mission to rebuild Iraq. They return later that year to a Basra awash with billions of US dollars, creating a boom time for private military contractors. As the drama charts their interwoven journeys from the invasion of Iraq to the present, we see how these three friends, united in battle, are torn apart by the aftermath.

Starring: James Nesbitt (Five Minutes of Heaven, Murphy's Law) plays Sgt
    Mike Swift; Stephen Graham (This Is England) plays Cpl Danny Peterson
    and Warren Brown (Hollyoaks) plays, L/Cpl Lee Hibbs, Nonso Anozie plays
    Erik Lester and Lubna Azabal as Dr. Aliyah Nabi.
  2. Been done before Good CO :D
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

4. But not with pictures :)
  5. Oh dear, no doubt caused by the brits.

Again, oh dear.

Actually, I saw a clip about it last night, it looked ok. But then again so did 'Mark Of Cain' and we all know how that went.
  6. Very true! I want to know how they all got hold of G10 watches. They were like rocking horse shiite when I was in.
  7. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

And not an ARRSE watch strap between them. Clearly I should be speaking to the BBC to make sure we feature in the next military series somehow, thus adding to the gritty realism:
  8. In the 'Radio Times' it looked like the girl was injured in a bomb/grenade attack on an Iraq hospital by insurgents.

Not so sure about the 'Love, duty' etc stuff though.....
  9. Why is it that they insist on making "dramatic" faces? It ruins what would otherwise look like genuine pics.
  10. Any idea where it was filmed? Looks like it could be Glasgow, except the weather's too nice.
  11. Are the Chinook's CGI or can the mod spare them for the BBC?
  12. And knowing BBC Enterprises, the DVD will be on the shelf at Tesco's at 0900 hrs Thursday 19th June for £13.99 and on 'i' player until Christmas!
  13. To be fair to the BBC (if that's possible!), Mark of Cain was a Channel 4 production.

I've seen loads of these type of productions over the years, some of them bloody awful and some pretty damned good.

I think the major problem is that some of them with an anti-war message are misconstrued as being anti-Army and much depends on how the producer gets his message across, and to be fair, to be seen through Rose coloured specs would be to produce nothing but a recruiting film - which is what 'Soldier Soldier turned out to be!

One of the worst I saw was that production by Linda Le Plant about 16 years ago.

One of the best was 'Vanishing Army' - Anyone remember that?

'Tumbledown' was another good production as was 'Warrior'!

We wait with baited breath!
  14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Is there any drama on television that doesn't feature James Nesbitt? I know he is a shy, retiring type, who hates to be featured or do anything to get himself noticed.
  15. Since I saw 5 Minutes of Heaven, he has fallen in my favour.