BBC DG resigns

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's still quite refreshing to see one of these public servants do the decent thing.

[video=youtube;MBfYQOSSPqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBfYQOSSPqc[/video]

Or indeed[video=youtube;RFZrzg62Zj0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
It's still quite refreshing to see one of these public servants do the decent thing.
I may be wrong, but I do get the impression someone may have had a word...for the good of the beeb perhaps? take one for the team and some of the heat off the organisation as a whole? be interesting to see where and how he resurfaces.

So after 54 days, how much of a BFO golden handshake will he get, I presume his pension won't reflect the less than two months he put in, and I don't suppose for one moment he will be worrying about the mortgage payments.

I suspect he will be re-employed at a suitable salary within the next two months.

The effect on anybody in officialdom at that level resigning is nil. If he topped himself a la Japanese, I would think he really did feel bad about it. As it stands, its more a case of jumpimg before he's pushed.

As for MiLord Patten, a man who has achieved greatness in being truly gray and mediocre, like MiLord Prescott a true survivor and never financially inconvenienced. If only one could post cancer like Anthrax.

So after 54 days, how much of a BFO golden handshake will he get, I presume his pension won't reflect the less than two months he put in, and I don't suppose for one moment he will be worrying about the mortgage payments.

I suspect he will be re-employed at a suitable salary within the next two months.

The effect on anybody in officialdom at that level resigning is nil. If he topped himself a la Japanese, I would think he really did feel bad about it. As it stands, its more a case of jumpimg before he's pushed.

As for MiLord Patten, a man who has achieved greatness in being truly gray and mediocre, like MiLord Prescott a true survivor and never financially inconvenienced. If only one could post cancer like Anthrax.
Sad but Oh so ****ing True. All he will suffer from is a bruised ego, but the huge wodge of taxpayers money he will get to 'smooth his transition' will more than make up for that. And the **** will still bleat that he's been 'hard done to'

Sad but Oh so ****ing True. All he will suffer from is a bruised ego, but the huge wodge of taxpayers money he will get to 'smooth his transition' will more than make up for that. And the **** will still bleat that he's been 'hard done to'
Of course. After all, taking one for the team isn't something he'd agree to without some serious recompense in return. Doubt he'd do it out of any sense of honour or integrity. I'd reckon a humongous wodge heading his way :p

Whenever he appeared on BBC yesterday, the BBC presenters were giving him stick and he couldn't handle it. I have NEVER seen a BBC presenter do that to anyone - the impression is given that somebody high up (failed contender?) had the knives out for him. One thing is sure, with that lack of respect from subordinates, he couldn't have survived long even if he'd stuck it out.

He inherited a poison chalice and is probably glad of the opportunity to leave.

I think the interview in the morning was bloody harsh.
I do listen to radio 4 and its getting to the stage where they just go in looking for a fight and try to prove how bloody clever they are with words! Most times the interviewee doesn't get a word in.
the presenters ar all bloody up themselves imho

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
But at least he did the decent thing maybe it is an example to our politicians, but i dont think so.
He may have done the decent thing, but only after he'd tried and failed with the indecent thing.

Pity a few more highly paid journos,didn't fall on their swords as well,Paxo for one.

J Dimbelby on Marr this morning,decrying the DG's decision to resign,and his treatment at the hands of the Press,why the surprise,is this not the same BBC,that tore into the Press,when reporting on both the Hutton,and Leverson enquiries,the old lessons,are the best lessons "never shit on anyone on your way up,as they will shit all over you,on your way down".

It's about time the BBC journos,started reporting the news,as it happened,rather than giving us their opinions as well.

If you want to see good reporting,go and look in the Beebs black and white news archives,you got the news,without the 'flowers'!

I suspect that the fluffy, left-leaning elite at the core of the BBC have found their suitable scapegoat. The fact that he was the "one" chosen by the slightly-Tory Chris Patten is just icing on the cake.

A bad decade for the Beeb. Two resignations in 8/9 years. The Hutton Inquiry was a disgraceful whitewash and it's still a sore point that Greg Dyke was shafted in the way he was.

I know very little about Entwhistle but it looks like he accepted that poor quality journalism was inexcusable and resigned as the man ultimately responsible. Very noble.

Might I point out that all that appears to have happened is a false allegation. Happens often in journalism, even when (as in this case) your lawyers have signed off on the broadcast. If more journos had the decency to resign whenever they got a story wrong we probably wouldn't be in the mess we're in now.

And of course his conduct was still infinitely more respectable than that of a certain R Murdoch and his henchmen, several of whom are now facing a number of criminal charges in the Crown Court, including perjury, conspiracy to pervert the course of justice and unlawful interception of communications, and not one of whom resigned on a point of principle but only when literally forced to by circumstance.

I hope Patten (the ultimate establishment man - Governor of Hong Kong, Peer, Chancellor of the University of Oxford and Chairman of the BBC Trust) doesn't try to use this to rip the Beeb apart.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
For whatever reason, Entwhistle didn't seem to have a grip on the organisation. And more precisely, he didn't seem to have the respect of his subordinates. A leader that has that respect isn't blind-sided like Entwhistle was. Instead, one or more would have had a word in his ear saying "are you aware of the following banana skin coming up"? Instead his subordinates seem to have said "I'll let you go hang yourself". Judging from his interviews, Entwhistle was probably an efficient administrator, but not a leader.

Wordsmith