BBC - damaging British industry

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Leave the BBC alone

14 vote(s)
  2. Keep the license fee as is but hold it to its charter

23 vote(s)
  3. Cut the license fee and slim the BBC

27 vote(s)
  4. Abolish the license fee and let the BBC do what it will

52 vote(s)

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

If the Chancellor truly believes that the BBC is this destructive why doesn't he do everyone a big fat favour and cut back the license fee. That could be a £100 tax break for every working household and still leave enough for the BBC to do its core job. They might have to cut back on executive luxuries though.

George Osborne accuses BBC of fuelling anti-business culture in Britain - Telegraph

It's been a while since the BBC conformed to its Charter and the Riot Act should be read just as it is to News International.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. You are going to upset the bleeding heart Liberal minded regulars on this site mate!
  3. What's the guarantee that giving households back £100 will go into 'industry' as opposed to savings accounts or on gin?
  4. Shoot the messenger eh! Clever old George. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Well I think Osborne has a point.

It's not just business either. There IS a "lefty" bias at the BBC and it extends to most of its output. I had a perfectly acceptable interview with the Orange Order pulled off a BBC Online site because the editor thought the orangemen were no better than the BNP.

Her decision, not mine and definitely not the decision of the people who still pay for these wastrels to tell them how to think. It was a good interview, as it goes.

I knew I'd had enough of the Beeb when I stood behind Alan Yentob in the Media Village Starbucks and, given he's got an £8m pension pot, he still asked for the receipt for his cappucino, so he could claim the ****** back.

Small points, I grant you.

But in my humble opinion, there is a real problem with bias at the Beeb; it's down to the Notting Hill lefties who run the place. Of course the BBC recognises the problem and in order to solve it they've given huge financial encouragements for the Notting Hill set to move to Salford, so they can carry on as before, but will be living op north, so that will at least tick one diversity box.

God help Manchester!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. As they get older and more settled in that great public institution and as a consequence less threatening to the perceived wisdom, they are rewarded with Sunday lunchtime politics shows, Andrew Marr being an example.

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I've said nice things about the BBC on ARRSE before and I'm a regular reader of the Guardian CIF sections - I just believe that, if it is to retain value, the BBC must make a reasonable effort to maintain a balance of view and it has clearly been found wanting in its commentary on multi-culturalism (where it tampered with the charter without telling anyone), climate change (where it unilaterally decided that the science was settled) and the EU (from whom it has have borrowed money), amongst others.

I'm no fan of Alex Salmond but the BBC should have made it clear that Kirsty Wark was a close personal friend of John Connell (going on holiday together), one time First Minister of Scotland, and not allowed her to carry out any related interviews. It didn't and ended up having to apologise - Jim Naughtie was yet another example. I can't think of many BBC journalists who don't seem to come at a story with a clear agenda and, as a result, most of the BBC current affairs offering is a waste of time. They also 'fix' soft interviews e.g. Gordon Brown's first interview during the onset of the banking crisis was on Radio 5 Live on a Sunday morning sports programme with that well known political rottweiler, Gabby Logan. At no point during the whole sorry exercise was he challenged once on Labour's record on banking regulation or borrowing policy - that is not public service broadcasting.

When the BBC does get it right, as it does with 'This Week', it is largely because both Left and Right views are represented by articulate individuals, so it does know how to do it. Also, with This Week, Neil, for all his faults, is an intelligent ringmaster - in my view Dimbleby should make way for him on Question Time but the Beeb wouldn't dare. It says it all that the fate of this programme is to be put in the Thursday late night graveyard slot.

The BBC could have a useful role but it can't play it by taking sides and it shouldn't be allowed to shape discussions by ignoring significant groups. I think Farage is a clown but UKIP are almost invisible on the BBC's coverage despite the EU being in crisis and UKIP being the only political party arguing for withdrawal - despite their limited electoral presence they represent a view that is widely held in the UK and they, or another equally organised body, should have a right of audience because of that. In my view the BBC either adheres strictly to its charter or it should be scrapped.
    • Like Like x 5
  8. As it's their money they can do what they like with it.
    Besides, distilling gin is an industry!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. British Broadcasting Corporation

They'd do well to remember what their core business is: Broadcasting. Get on with that and remove the fingers from other pies. (I'm not referring to online content). Furthermore strip away the middle management reinvest the money saved in doing what the BBC is supposed to do: provide news and entertainment.

This ones For King Of The Burpas:

I shot an interview with Helen Boaden (Head of News for general info) a while back. She turned up with about 5 lackies to carry her bag, listen in and generally assist her. I needed some shots of her going into BBC White City so I picked up my kit: camera, sound kit, run bag,tripod and lighting bag (all of which which I haul around with me).... one of her 'men' went to pick up my lighting bag, put it down and said 'oooh that's heavy I'd better let you carry it...'

Within Boaden's earshot I said ' Great thanks...this is what we carry around on our own all the and safety get****ed' or words to that effect. The great lady apparently didn't hear me.
  10. Cold_Collation

Cold_Collation LE Book Reviewer

But given that the recruitment medium of choice is Monday's Guardian Media Section, it's not surprising. It all has the feel of a self-perpetuating organisation. There's always a sniff of sniping from a position of being untouchable. Well, it shouldn't be.

And, in fact, the Beeb shat itself over inquiry into the reporting of the David Kelly affair. In the aftermath, it was told to toe the line by Labour or BIG cuts would be made. It can be whipped in.

Cameron has already called it the 'British Broadcasting Cuts Corporation', so the issue's known about - can hardly fail to be, in fact. Perhaps it is time to let it be known that gleeful reporting of the coalition's setbacks or economic problems will have consequences.

That's a long way from spiking a story, which would be censorship and not something I'd advocate. But the tenor of reporting should change.

As noted on King of the Burpa's thread on censorship it's ridiculous that a broadcasting body which represents this country's interests and views refuses to make a 'vaue judgement' on Abu Qatada. Someone should be carpeted and made to change that decision, or else challenged bloody hard to justify it.
  11. Maybe Robert Peston could be taken for a walk in the woods on Harrowdown Hill?
    • Like Like x 1
  12. I think you should refer to online content as well, imho. Nail on head, btw.

I know you're a camera/batteries/tripod jockey, so you're not up to the subtle but ultimate supremacy of radio .... but the place has changed. Once upon a time you could take time out to get a better shot or sound, or find someone not on the radar to interview.

Now all you get is a "shit on a stick" correspondent and no time to get what you wanted.

Then you have to pile the crap on air and on to a podcast and an online piece, which you have to write yourself because the shit on a stick has gone home....

.... and nobody gives a flying **** anyway.

The future of journalism? Print and stills, buddy, print and stills.
  13. I'd bet that would bring his stutter back.

(BBC in-joke referring to Peston's rather odd delivery caused by a verbal affliction he once suffered from)
  14. The BEEB has a titles culture and structure that would enthrall the last of the old contemptables, Comrade Castro. As I view it, very few of the movers and shakers in Sin City have taken the incentive to move ooop North, leaving the appearence of it all to their P.A's, bag carriers and mobile phone cleaners. Salford is too off trail for the mistresses and The Ivy. The au-pairs were in uproar over the thought of handling ferrets and touching collie dogs' bums.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Print and stills.

Beat this.... apologies to James Natchwey, who earns a quarter of the dosh that the usual suspects pocket, including the receipt for their cappucinos....

Says it all. Pick your war. It says it all.

Attached Files: