BBC Daily Politics and PMQs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Apr 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ""RCT(V) said:
    Probably the Civil Servants/public sector employees of whom the Chancellor speaks.

Someone mentioned doctors now retire with a pension ("pot"), of ONE MILLION GB POUNDS.

The final salary pension arrangements for the whole public sector, are surely to be discontinued, as being unsustainable."

Many public sector workers will have a pension pot well in excess of £1 million.

The valuation comes from 20 times annual pension, so a pension of £50k and above will exceed £1 million.
    If the employee retires on half pay (40 years service), a salary of £100k is therefore required. Most GPs and medical staff earn way in excess of £100k.
    Pension rules have changed but most medics will still have large pensions.

The current debate about public sector pay freeze is relevant, in that every pay rise has a knock on effect on the pension liabilities.

• Informative Informative x 1

2. Nurses in the NHS have been moved to career average.

3. ....and nurses earn a lot less than medics.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I've just seen the LBC interview with NF so a children's book would be more appropriate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. All NHS staff are on it except those who have full protection or tapering protection.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Correct. It advantages those who move no further upwards but disadvantages the ones who climb the greasy pole.

7. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

When any scheme is set up with parameters then there will always be winners and losers.

8. Only disadvantages them against the previous position. It is still beneficial to pension to be on higher pay.

One could have left the old scheme, and the pension would have grown with inflation until ready for payment. Would not have affected the contributions/benefits of new scheme. Most were unaware so pension/pot only growing with 1% or whatever. Given low inflation there may have been little in it to date.

9. The old scheme was calculated as the best year of your last three years of service including special duty payments, someone could have played a blinder and gone up in theory two grades to increase their pension or start for one of those years on permenant night duty. This in the case for nights would have boosted that years salary by 33% which would be calculated into the final figure.

10. And some with mahoosive rostered O/T had the bestof 8yrs. A limited group, but with Classic/Premium etc shows how the terms/deals became ever-more fragmented from 80s-10s.

My experience C&E and downward (ie Revenue dilution/corruption**/disruption, names/terms varied by Dept.

** sorry - should read CORRUPTION

• Like Like x 1
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

12. Regarding the aid, I see a report in the Heil (so no linkee) from 4 days ago saying £5.8 million over the last 4 years which included £160k for "training and capacity building" for the Venezuealan plod and security services (allegedly to help fight organised crime and the narcotics industry) as well as money for the Venezuelan oil industry.

So not much but around £5.8 million more than should have been handed out.

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Interesting.....so, about a quarter of what we have donated to Vietnam to assist their Rural Roads programme then? How much did we give Chavez between 1997 and 2010?

14. Don't have a scooby, a quick google gave nothing.

15. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I've been Googling both the Government and the Office of National Statistics websites. There is no easy way to find out how much individual countries are getting in foreign aid. I suspect that's deliberate. If the average voter could see how much money corrupt countries and despots were getting, I suspect there'd be an outcry.

Wordsmith

• Like Like x 3