BBC Daily Politics and PMQs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Apr 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'd posted before I saw that. Wilco.

2. I remember getting "threshold allowance" until Maggie gave us and the police decent pay rises

• Like Like x 1
  3. I wouldn't. Rolling power cuts, 3 day week, rubbish piling up in the streets, dead unburied and so on and so on. It was not better than now by any stretch of the imagination.
    I joined in 1974 and my memory has it that it was Maggie who raised armed forces pay starting in about 80/81.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Farron tonight

Being touted as the worst leader to appear with AN (so far)

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. I'm fairly certain we got a huge rise in 79.

Don't judge the whole decade by the Winter of Discontent nor the 3 day weeks of 73/74.
    It was fun.
    And no anonymous internet for people to be rude over ;)
    We just got on with it, none of this should/would/could rubbish all the time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  6. I reckon Farron was putting his case forward to replace Andrew Marr as the BBC's resident "talking over your guest and not letting them get a word in" interviewer.

Apart from that, being an undecided floating voter, all Farron achieved was to convince me not to vote for the Limp Dum candidate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. It's difficult to find the rates for 1970s but here:

ROYAL NAVY AND ROYAL MARINES (PAY) (Hansard, 15 March 1979)

"The Minister will not have to squint for much longer as I turn to example No. 4. On 25 April 1978, the Prime Minister announced pay increases for the forces for the next 12 months. It amounted to a 10 per cent. increase plus 3 per cent. on the"X factor ".

That;s the best I can find so we did get a decent-ish rise from the '78 review.

Will keep digging.

edit: the pay reviews haven't been digitised. ho hum

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  8. You could be correct, I'm remembering where I was then and 90% of the station worked shifts, of those 80% had part time jobs to bring home some extra cash. It was a long time ago :)
    Oh don't get me wrong, there was still that wartime spirit of just cracking on instead of trying to find someone to blame but I was at school during the winter of discontent and that's the memory that colours those years for me.

• Like Like x 3
  9. It was fun, mainly because people's priorities were very different then. Work was more sociable in that everyone went to the pub together and humour was allowed. An opinion could be expressed freely. Now people sit in the workplace hardly communicating, frightened that they say the wrong thing and someone is offended.

Labour largely concentrated on Workers rights (and destroying the economy), but were somewhat less nasty and dangerous than today (at least that was my impression).

• Like Like x 4
  10. NSP

NSP LE

The deficit wasn't handled in the '70s; it was created in them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Snap!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

He was irritating, like a wee midge!

13. Exactly. We need more of that spirit now.

This'll make you giggle then, from the same report:

Mr. Hoyle

Does my right hon. Friend agree that the only way to achieve decent pay and conditions for the Armed Forces is to allow them to join trade unions, as in other NATO countries? Opposition Members laugh, but they object to what is happening.

To which the Labour Sec of State nearly had a fit:

Mr. Mulley

I do not believe that that is the only way to deal with the matter.

Sigh. Politicians that didn't throw wobblers every 10 seconds. I dislike the beggars intensely, always have, but back then they didn't go into meltdown over every silly little thing.

14. Pickets sitting around braziers at factory gates intimidating the 'scabs' who chose to work, turning away deliveries, flying pickets :-(

• Like Like x 1
  15. There were quite few. We had the IMF in too at the start of the 70s.
    All I'm saying is that Sir Geoffrey Howe got to grips with it straight away.
    And that's all I think I should post on it (for a bit, anyway). I'm still working off points.

• Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1