BBC Daily Politics and PMQs

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ViroBono, Apr 13, 2016.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today's U-turn on NI contributions was probably the sensible course to take, but Hammond, sitting next to May at PMQs, had the tumbril look of a man en route to a tryst with Madame la Guillotine. His first Budget could well have been his last.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. [QUOTE="Auld-Yin, post: 7783237, member:

She is a Scouser who is fine till she opens her gob. Still, she is trying to talk more posh now though and the Scouse accent is disappearing rapidly, until she gets excited![/QUOTE]

Sounds so much like my wife!

3. Well, I think his first budget summary is classed as a schoolboy error to many & the Government admitting and U-turning can primarily be seen as positive overall.

Just means, other areas are due for a tax rise or more stringent cuts which are inevitable as our national debt is frightening at £1.7 Trillion and rising so I'd be monitoring carefully what emerges once Article 50 is triggered.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I'm watching BBC Parliament about headscarves and religious paraphernalia in the workplace, Caroline Dinenage is a bit of a babe!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

5. Seen, fittest in Parliament? Nice glasses

Education minister too...(CA)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Rushanara Ali, Labour Bethnal Green & Bow another babe, although I'm biased I suppose.

7. Indeed I am hoping that the ongoing review into NI will be seen as an opportunity, to now be more about clearing some outdated tax regulation off the books.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Agreed, simplification and overhaul would certainly be more positive for all concerned, 'all' tax payers should be on a level playing field and not used as a political pawn.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  9. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

We need to get away from penal over-taxation of the innovative and industrious individuals who actually drive the economy for everyone else.

We also need to remove the trap whereby anyone taking early retirement and a pension in their 50s is put off getting a job on top of that because half their income will be stolen by the Govt in tax &NI before they have paid the on-costs of going back to work (travel etc) out of their taxed income.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I agree Seaweed with your final point as i was in that very situation. When i retired I was offered a sum to go in and do some work but the money would just have disappeared back to the taxman. I did the work, still do although in a different role, but as a volunteer and told them to hold on to the cash rather than just feed the Treasury.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Specsavers are having sale at the moment.

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. One of the reasons I bined working as I was only getting a small amount for a weeks work once the tax had been taken out. Now spend my time walking and posting drivel with very little loss of income.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Statement and questions by the Chancellor following PMQs was a bit of a comedy show. The opposition making much of the fact that the breaking of a manifesto promise was noticed, not by members of the Cabinet, but by a certain Ms L Keunssberg of the BBC. She probably got more mentions in parliament today than any other reporter in recent times.

Poor Spreadsheet Hammond was squirming like mad as question after question somehow seemed to fit in Ms K. Good parliament viewing and even the Speaker congratulated the House on its good humour.

14. I think many of us who comment on politics, here on arrse could agree that there are elements of the news media that seem to be more about the personality of politics rather than the substance, too the degree that I believe they think they are more important than the story... That a U-Turn has been made is seen as having more significance than the reasons for doing it. Was it poorly thought out policy or opportunist politicking that saw the changes made.

Its all part of the societies adoption of a dreadfully tiresome 'narcissism' of 'feels over reals' that has infected much of today's society from generations who, seem to have little critical thinking skills... I hope like political correctness that has reached its peak and is now becoming less favoured and one hopes on the way out, although that will take some time, and effort from the 'Demos'.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Highly unlikely that it's reached its peak given that universities now smother open debate. Instead we have forbidden trigger words and safe spaces for students to hide in should anyone disagree with their views in the slightest.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1