BBC Daily Politics and PMQs

John Major is currently slating the Conservative Brexit ‘minority’ on the Andrew Marr Show. He is being treated with great respect by Marr (and getting a very easy ride) and appears to be talking with great gravitas, but the only image in my head is this:
D2757A45-A55B-4F7C-AACA-429260C8D6A0.jpeg

All credibility gone mate!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
John Major is currently slating the Conservative Brexit ‘minority’ on the Andrew Marr Show. He is being treated with great respect by Marr (and getting a very easy ride) and appears to be talking with great gravitas, but the only image in my head is this:
View attachment 343274
All credibility gone mate!
I think John Major is a great lad, every time he appears Brexit takes another step forward! :D

A bit like the EU and their love of neverendums until the people vote 'the right way' like in Ireland
The remoaners and their 'people's vote'. They expected to win. They lost. They don't like it. Why can't just one of them admit that they are just bad losers?
Although if remain won,I suspect they would have been really bad winners.

Daily Politics - Monday 23rd July

Heidi Allen - Conservative, Remainer
Clive Lewis - Labour, Remainer
Harry Cole - The Sun
Gisela Stuart - Labour, Leaver
Stewart Jackson - Conservative - Former Chief of Staff to the Brexit Secretary (David Davis)

Brexit, Chequers speech,
Jeremy Hunt's warning of No Deal by accident after talks in Germany.
Human Rights and Home Secretary's letter to USA that they can have the two British ISIS terrorists. There is some discomfort amongst politicians on both sides of the house about supporting prosecution in a country that carries out death sentences.
Potential for division within parties to cause them to split in to new parties. Heidi Allen said differences were like tectonic plates moving apart. She thought a split of the Conservative party unlikely but possible.

Anti-Semitism in Labour Party. Disagreements about IHRH definition on anti-semitism. Some argue that political requirements crept in to the agreement which stifle any criticism of the State of Israel and that is why they cannot accept it. Clive Lewis claims that it has been accepted. BBC report that Margaret Hodge accused Corbyn of being anti-semitic but in the video clips it seemed to me that she said that his apparent inaction on the matter was leading some people to conclude that he was anti-semitic and racist. ie not a direct accusation.

Jo Coburn pushing Gisela re Electoral Commission on Vote Leave funding. She herself has not been contacted and I think she was gently cautioning Jo not to prejudice the police investigation. Again, nothing about remain campaign...

Chris Williams (Labour - Corbynista) - Motorcycle related pro-Corbyn campaign. Clive Lewis unconcerned about any visit to his area. Jo suggested that was maybe because he wasn't threatened by deselection. Gisela pointed out that the party should be listening to the people as a representative democracy.

Apologies for posting links from BBC Daily Politics Twitter feed ;)

BBC Daily Politics and Sunday Politics on Twitter

BBC Daily Politics and Sunday Politics (@daily_politics) | Twitter

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Daily Politcs ending.

I'm sure I heard correctly today's show is the last ever Daily Politics Show.

It's been running for fifteen years and I'm rather shocked that the BBBC* feel fit to shut this programme down bearing in mind that we are entering a very critical and historical moment in the political future of this country.
I didn't watch it every day, who did but I will missed this show and the worse thing.
I'll tell you I never did win a mug!

*Bloody BBC.

Daily Politcs ending.

I'm sure I heard correctly today's show is the last ever Daily Politics Show.

It's been running for fifteen years and I'm rather shocked that the BBBC resemble fit to shut this programme down bearing in mind that we are entering a very critical and historical moment in the political future of this country.
I during watch it every day, who did but I will missed this show and the worse thing.
I'll tell you I never did win a mug!
It will in reality be back under a new name (and in a slightly different format perhaps).
"Politics Live will be the BBC2's lunchtime political programme from September 2018."
Here is the 15 year farewell on the BBC site:
BBC Two - Daily Politics, 24/07/2018, Goodbye to the Daily Politics after 15 years

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It will in reality be back under a new name (and in a slightly different format perhaps).
Perhaps it will be called..........The Andrew Neil Show.:slow::slow:

No can't see that happening either. We will just have to wait and see what happens.

They want a more diverse audience , that is to say they want more yoof. Expect lots of social media interaction. I'm certainly not in the demographic they're seeking . See below from the BBC Media Centre
The changes include:
  • A new team giving better digital and social coverage - including podcasts - of politics and parliament for audiences who are increasingly getting their news online, especially on mobiles. In an era of concerns about misinformation and ‘echo chambers’ this is designed to bring trusted impartial political coverage to younger audiences
  • A new daily political programme - Politics Live - which will replace Daily Politics from Monday to Friday.
  • A new BBC One half hour stand-alone Sunday Politics programme for each of the nations and English regions, replacing the ‘opts’ currently shown within the Sunday Politics. This will now be shown immediately after Andrew Marr. The UK-wide network edition of Sunday Politics will no longer be broadcast after this month (July).
  • A changed schedule for BBC Parliament: the channel will still broadcast live and replayed coverage of Parliament and the devolved parliaments and assemblies, but will no longer make bespoke programmes and will not air in the weeks when the UK Parliament or the devolved Parliaments and assemblies are not sitting.
  • Politics Live will be presented by Jo Coburn four days a week and Andrew Neil will present a special extended programme on Wednesdays, to include PMQs. The new 45-minute programme (One hour 45 minutes on Wednesdays) will offer viewers a fast-moving, conversational show, featuring a blend of political interviews, discussion and video content designed to be shared digitally, ensuring Politics Live connects with the lives of people around the country.

Perhaps it will be called..........The Andrew Neil Show.:slow::slow:

No can't see that happening either. We will just have to wait and see what happens.
Sadly, I suspect that something similar will appear, in a strongly feminised format, caring of the interviewees' opinions and devoted more to being a platform for the views of the Guardian Writers Guild than to questing after the truth.

Andrew Neil in New York, tricked Jo Coburn who thought she was about to speak with Andrew Ferguson.
Reports that US economy rose by 4% in the past year. On that basis, Donald Trump is likely to win a second term in 2020. AN says this has big implications for EU and UK as many regarded Trump's presidency a temporary blip and so have not made any consideration of 8 years of Trump as POTUS.

There rest of the show wasn't particularly noteworthy in my opinion. A lot of clips were put together as a review over 15 years. Not something you can get your teeth in to.

Last edited:

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Daily Politics is dead, long live Politics Live.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Well I suppose we will just have to wait and see. I hope it's a serious programme and AN has plenty of air time.